..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Better performance on P4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since the release of 1.0.0, I've had much better performance from PCSX2 on my Dell Pentium 4 3ghz with 2gb ram and 128 mb GeForce 6200. The main bottlenecks appear to be the blends. I'm using a frameskip of 2 and 2, with speedhacks enabled. Card settings are at their lowest.

I get a pretty steady 30 fps, which is playable. The BIOS functions fast, except when the PS2 logo is "congealing" after the zoom in on the cubes at start, at which FPS falls to 10. (the zoom in itself runs at 30fps). It also falls to about this level on the config screen when the crystalline structure is visible. But running Fantasy Zone Collection, everything is fine. The game is playable and barely skips a frame.

Do I need a faster CPU, or will a graphics card upgrade suffice? I'm using 400mhz memory, should I get 800 mhz? Also, should I enable hyperthreading?

I'm really impressed by the 1.0.0 speedups. My intuition tells me that it should be possible to run PS2 at full speed on a high end P4 with the right config and support hardware. What could be the means of closing this gap?
Literally everything is a bottleneck here. You just need a new modern computer. Replacing the individual parts might still be better than some crappy OEM build.
30 fps is half the speed of the game. A stock core 2 duo is not enough to run all games and you have to OC it to 4 ghz. So the P4 is really a problem.
Yup, your box is just adequate enough to be running solitaire, PS2 emulation won't cut it, but it should be able to handle PS1 if you can't afford to upgrade. That is, supposing you actually have a PS1 and some games for it.
you need a GOOD CPU because pcsx2 depend more on cpu :

at last :

-Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 @3.0Ghz

-Intel Core 2 Duo 7300 (2,66Ghz 3Mb 1066Mhz)

-AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - 3.33 GHz

All of cpu above are good enough, so yes you will have more perfomance depend in the game ;
(06-19-2013, 03:40 PM)salamandar Wrote: [ -> ]you need a GOOD CPU because pcsx2 depend more on cpu :

at last :

-Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 @3.0Ghz

-Intel Core 2 Duo 7300 (2,66Ghz 3Mb 1066Mhz)

-AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - 3.33 GHz

All of cpu above are good enough, so yes you will have more perfomance depend in the game ;

I doubt any of those are compatible with his existing mobo, he likely needs a complete and total upgrade. Also, a hexa-core is overkill, and judging by what everyone says it's not great for PCSX2 either.
If he has a late P4, he might be able to get a Core 2 Duo or Quad in there as they both use Socket 775. If his BIOS will allow it however, that's another question, afterall it is a Dell and they hate you changing anything which isn't done by them.

But the graphics card is still very very poor, so that would probably stop his machine going any quicker with the new CPU.

I would recommend scrapping that one, maybe salvage the DVD drive and hard drive, maybe the case, and buy a new motherboard, cpu, gpu and memory. Quite possibly power supply too.
(06-19-2013, 03:37 PM)Coornio Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, your box is just adequate enough to be running solitaire, PS2 emulation won't cut it...

It's not that bad and it depends on the game but the video is really weak.
If the game you want to play is not 3D,there is a good change to have high speed.

My speed on Ar Tonelico 2 for example is almost always 60fps(sometimes may even go above 150)
Would upgrading my gfx card to 256 mb, or a faster GPU, get me a few more frames?

Nah I don't have a late P4. Northwood all the way. I'm also playing at 640x480 res if that helps.
Most graphics cards are well beyond 256MB nowadays, and memory bandwidth (128 bit, 256 bit, etc) is more important anyway. Updating your card may help but you will have bad bottlenecking in the cpu then (which is most common).