..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Is my rig good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been curious about this for a while, however don't know if I have a good enough rig, and if not could somebody please tell me what I should buy and put in my pc?

What do you think here is the rig...
----------------------------------------
Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Processor - AMD FX-6100 3.31 GH
Ram 8GB
Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 7970 3GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
Harddrive - Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB

Thank you very much for replying if you doSmile
Everything is good except the processor, honestly. I suggest replacing it with an FX-6300. Zambezi isn't so great for PCSX2. You'd have to OC the hell out of your current CPU to get good performance on a lot of games. With the FX-6300, you can OC it from 3.5 (base clock) to 4.2 Ghz easily without much voltage bumps or a voltage bump at all and get full speed on most games. The FX-6300 would also just drop right into your current socket with no issues... You'd probably have to do a BIOS update (assuming you don't have the latest BIOS for your MOBO) but that's no big deal.
(08-03-2013, 03:26 PM)NarooN Wrote: [ -> ]Everything is good except the processor, honestly. I suggest replacing it with an FX-6300. Zambezi isn't so great for PCSX2. You'd have to OC the hell out of your current CPU to get good performance on a lot of games. With the FX-6300, you can OC it from 3.5 (base clock) to 4.2 Ghz easily without much voltage bumps or a voltage bump at all and get full speed on most games. The FX-6300 would also just drop right into your current socket with no issues... You'd probably have to do a BIOS update (assuming you don't have the latest BIOS for your MOBO) but that's no big deal.

Then shouldn't I just go with this one?
AMD FX-8350 X8 4.0GHz
If you have the money to spare, you can if you want. Note that PCSX2 only uses 3 cores maximum, two by default and a third core can have the VU1 offloaded to it for a speedboost in many games. In software rendering mode, you can use extra cores for extra rendering threads, but most games run better in Hardware mode. There is also the FX-6350 which is the same as the FX-6300, just comes out of the box clocked at 3.9ghz but also has a 125W TDP as well (not a big deal, just saying).

But yeah, these are all using the same Vishera architecture (Piledriver cores), so you'll be good either which way you decide to go.
(08-03-2013, 03:47 PM)NarooN Wrote: [ -> ]If you have the money to spare, you can if you want. Note that PCSX2 only uses 3 cores maximum, two by default and a third core can have the VU1 offloaded to it for a speedboost in many games. In software rendering mode, you can use extra cores for extra rendering threads, but most games run better in Hardware mode. There is also the FX-6350 which is the same as the FX-6300, just comes out of the box clocked at 3.9ghz but also has a 125W TDP as well (not a big deal, just saying).

But yeah, these are all using the same Vishera architecture (Piledriver cores), so you'll be good either which way you decide to go.

Well I easily have the moneySmile and I was thinking of updating to something higher, this should be enough rightSmile
Yeah it's enough for sure. Laugh
(08-03-2013, 04:50 PM)NarooN Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah it's enough for sure. Laugh

Thank you for the repliesSmile
(08-03-2013, 04:50 PM)NarooN Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah it's enough for sure. Laugh

One more question, what if I forked over a little more and bought a
Intel Core i7-3770K would that be better?
(08-03-2013, 05:13 PM)deepfree Wrote: [ -> ]One more question, what if I forked over a little more and bought a
Intel Core i7-3770K would that be better?

Substantially. Intel has far better single thread performance, especially in PCSX2.
You're very welcome, and remember to come back if you ever have any issues with specific games or anything, you'll get help for sure.

edit: Yeah, the 3770k would be a lot faster in PCSX2 than the FX-8350. Like Koji said, the single-threaded performance is simply higher. You'd have to get a new MOBO too, but it seems your budget would permit that, so by all means go with the 3770k. You probably wouldn't even have to overclock it to run all (reasonably playable) games at full speed.
Pages: 1 2