..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Override internal frame-rate emulation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Running Shadow of the Colossus just fine at 60 FPS, but the game suffers internally with horrible frame-rate most of the time.
I was wondering if there's a hack or workaround to fix it or if this is even remotely possible.
There is not one currently possible as you're emulating the PCS2 CPU down to the clock rate, Which is to weak to run Shadow of the Colossus at 60FPS.

There are codes you can find that will disable the frame limiter, and or raise it to be 60fps, But like i said, it will do no good until the CPU overclocking feature is implemented, if/when that is, I couldn't tell you. sorry to disappoint.
Oh well, thanks for the response.
Is not clear what you mean. Frame rate is not necessarily synonym of speed (pace) that things change, a still image is still... still at 100 or 1000 FPS and then a snail race will be like a snail race at those same FPS unless the pace of image changes is directly tied with the FPS.

That's the case of gaming consoles in general because they are normally attached with the local TV standard and use the FPS (which is supposed steady and stable in TV broadcast) to synchronize the events. At least it's so to PS2 and most it's games with some remarkable exceptions.

Besides the game might run at half the total FPS to take advantage of the bandwidth gain from the interlace technique what contributes to hurt somewhat the fluidity in fast action scenes.

Yet the OP leads to think you are seeing a kind of slow motion or lag which is normally caused by the speedhacks. That symptom is due the speedhack might indeed increase the FPS but slow the motion perception, not surprisingly since the EE cyclerate effectively reduces the general emulation speed as the Emotion engine (the PS2 CPU) is running at lower clock. On the other hand the VU cycle stealing actuates interrupting EE normal flux attending the game so to force it to transfer data to the VUs instead waiting the due time.

Both the above speedhacks may be a bless and if not abused their effects are almost imperceptible in most games, yet some games are more sensible to them and then present the mentioned sensation of slow motion and/or lag even if the actual FPS is increased.

Summarizing: If that's your case the workaround is removing the workarounds, I mean, removing or reducing the level of speedhacks you might be using.

Report back if is something different, remember that removing or reducing the speedhacks might cause "actual" low FPS with all the associated problems, the topic's game is known to be very demanding on the emulation.
The problem is that the game is emulated TOO much like the original.
It lags like hell on the PS2 as well.
Since the virtual CPU and GPU can't be overclocked, there's no way the game ever will run better.
I guess there would be some serious sync-issues if it was possible anyways.
Games will be emulationd like the ps2 including the slowdown