..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: A simplistic guide to pnach files (aka pnach for dummies)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi All,

I couldn't find a concise guide for converting most (if not all) of the different kinds of codes out there so I decided to make this one. Hopefully it can help alot of folks and cut down on the "how do I make pnach files" threads. I am breaking this down into sections to make it easier to read.

I am hoping to get this stickied...pretty please? < /shameless plea>

This guide applies to all of the following code types:
Action Replay
Action Replay MAX
CodeBreaker
GameShark
Xploder

SECTION 1 - Converting the codes

Ready? Let's do this!
Step 1: Download OmniConvert and PCSX2CE. As of the time of this writing they can be found here:
OmniConvert
PCSX2CE
I did not make either of those tools but they are widely used for cheat conversion and pnach creation.

Got those 2 files? Awesome. Moving on!

Step 2: Find your codes. Just go to their website and snag them.

Got your codes? Awesome. For this example I am using ARMAX codes for Dragon Quest VIII (U) found here:
Link

Step 3: Open OmniConvert and paste your cheats on the left side. Then choose your type of input cheats by clicking Input > and choose your cheat type and version. I am using ARMAX for this example so I chose Input > Action Replay > MAX. See image below for clarification:

[Image: omni1.png]

Step 4: Choose the Output type from the menu bar as Unencrypted > Standard. No matter what types of cheats you are using, the Output type will ALWAYS be Unencrypted > Standard. See the pic below:

[Image: omni2.png]

Step 5: Click Convert on the lower left and copy the converted RAW codes to your clipboard. See image below:

[Image: omni3.png]

Not so bad right? We are almost done!

Step 6. Close OmniConvert (you remembered to copy those RAW codes right?). Open PCSX2CE and click "Open Cheat File" on the bottom to open your pnach. Dont have a pnach for this game yet? No problem. Jump to Section 2 and come back when you are ready! Back? Great, let's continue. Paste your codes on the left hand side. Click "Convert" on the bottom right and then click "Save". See the image below for clarification:

[Image: PCSX2_CE.png]

That's it! I know it was a few steps but it was SUPER easy right? Now you can make pnach files for all your games!

SECTION 2 - How to make a pnach

To create a pnach you need to make a text file in the Cheats folder in PCSX2. The default location will be in one of these 2 paths:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 1.0.0\Cheats (The PCSX2 1.0.0 directory may have a slightly different number other than 1.0.0. It depends on your exact version of PCSX2)
  • C:\Program Files\PCSX2 1.0.0\Cheats (The PCSX2 1.0.0 directory may have a slightly different number other than 1.0.0. It depends on your exact version of PCSX2)

If the Cheats subfolder does not exist go to the 1.0.0 folder and right click and select New Folder. Name it Cheats. Now go inside the Cheats folder and right click in the empty space and choose New Text Document.

[Image: pnach.png]

It should make a file named "New Text Document.txt". If it just says "New Text Document" without the .txt you need to make a small adjustment in Windows. Click Start > Control Panel > Folder Options. A window will pop up. Click on the Vew tab and uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for known file types". Click OK and close the Control Panel.

Now you see New Text Document.txt right? Awesome!

Let's leave that file alone for now and open your game in PCSX2. Let it run long enough so the main screen of the game pops up then press ESC (the escape key in the far upper left of your keyboard) to see the main screen of PCSX2. You are looking for the CRC of the game. It looks like this:

[Image: crc.png]

All we need is the CRC itself so we don't need the 0x part. In this example that means we want the F4715852. Copy that to the clipboard and go back to the Cheats directory. You remember that right? If not go up a few paragraphs. Ready? Great!

Right click on New Text Document.txt and choose to Rename it. Paste the CRC as the file name and change the .txt to .pnach (dont forget the period). So now instead of New Text Document.txt we have a file named F4715852.pnach Remember each game has a different CRC so dont just copy mine.

You just made a pnach *high five*
Superb guide! I'm going to add it to the FAQ with the other one Smile
This is great!
All-in-one like this is very helpful.
Shortcut made Smile
"... can help alot of folks ..."

"Click on the Vew tab and ..."

"... different CRC so dont just copy mine."

:3
Just as info,you can already do all that and much more with my multi converter.
I am up to editing or merging this with other guides if the mods see fit. I just didnt see a thread that had much of the "frequent issues" that I see posted about here on the board.

(11-09-2013, 01:33 PM)Coornio Wrote: [ -> ]"... can help alot of folks ..."

"Click on the Vew tab and ..."

"... different CRC so dont just copy mine."

:3

Is that feedback? I would love some if you can elaborate Smile
You need to also add that you'll need to install Java to be able to use PCSX2CE.
Mine tool don't need it,it use Omniconverter with even running it,get the crc automatically from the running game and save the pnach to the correct location and name

It short,your guide with fewer steps and requirements and a lot more extras(including image preview for the save states...while creating them,it also create an image while you can view while switching state slots)
Step 5: and Step 5. are overlapped.

P.S.
I often use this guide to explain how to convert non-raw codes to pnach format.
This is a good guide.
Indeed. Thanks for that. fixed Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5