..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Gamepad-friendly main menu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I understand that this topic has been brought up several times in the past, but considering the fact that Valve is launching a concept of gaming pc to be used like consoles, this is a fresh question once again.

My PC and TV are in different rooms, but I connected them using 10 meters long HDMI cable. I also own Logitech F710 (wireless controller), and I can actually play games on my TV with ease, just like if I actually owned a Steam Machine.

I also play PPSSPP on my TV, it runs gorgeous and it doesn't need any mouse or keyboard to control it. I can do everything in this emulator only using my gamepad.

And I would also LOVE to play my huge PS2 games collection using PCSX2, but unfortunately, when I launch it from Steam Big Picture, I have to run in another room and BLINDLY do stuff using the mouse. This is really frustrating and unfortunate.

Is there any possibility of PCSX2 getting its own gamepad-friendly menu and settings? I'm only talking about stuff that would be required when you just want to play a couple of games, plugin settings and all that stuff should be left as they are already.

Perhaps, developers could get an inspiration from an actual PS2 OS. It also could be a completely separate app that is capable of launching PCSX2 with instant fast ISO boot of a chosen game, skipping it's logo etc. And when "Home" button on gamepad is pressed, the emulator should pause itself and the separate app for controller should be brought back with a couple of options (like exit the game and load another one). That's just a concept though.

Any thoughts on this?
Sounds like a good feature to integrate into one of the existing launchers or for a stand-alone gamepad-friendly laucher which lets you select an ISO and then runs pcsx2 with that iso which starts the game immediately.
(01-10-2014, 11:23 PM)avih Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a good feature to integrate into one of the existing launchers or for a stand-alone gamepad-friendly laucher which lets you select an ISO and then runs pcsx2 with that iso which starts the game immediately.

Since you've got "PCSX2 Coder" status, could you predict if this feature is going to be implemented soon?
UPD: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2Bonu...r-frontend This one is actually pretty nice, but TV mode could only be used on the primary display.
(01-10-2014, 11:10 PM)Adiost Wrote: [ -> ]I understand that this topic has been brought up several times in the past, but considering the fact that Valve is launching a concept of gaming pc to be used like consoles, this is a fresh question once again.

My PC and TV are in different rooms, but I connected them using 10 meters long HDMI cable. I also own Logitech F710 (wireless controller), and I can actually play games on my TV with ease, just like if I actually owned a Steam Machine.

I also play PPSSPP on my TV, it runs gorgeous and it doesn't need any mouse or keyboard to control it. I can do everything in this emulator only using my gamepad.

And I would also LOVE to play my huge PS2 games collection using PCSX2, but unfortunately, when I launch it from Steam Big Picture, I have to run in another room and BLINDLY do stuff using the mouse. This is really frustrating and unfortunate.

Is there any possibility of PCSX2 getting its own gamepad-friendly menu and settings? I'm only talking about stuff that would be required when you just want to play a couple of games, plugin settings and all that stuff should be left as they are already.

Perhaps, developers could get an inspiration from an actual PS2 OS. It also could be a completely separate app that is capable of launching PCSX2 with instant fast ISO boot of a chosen game, skipping it's logo etc. And when "Home" button on gamepad is pressed, the emulator should pause itself and the separate app for controller should be brought back with a couple of options (like exit the game and load another one). That's just a concept though.

Any thoughts on this?

This is actually a really good idea. I'd like this too. Btw you should post your idea here too. forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Emu-suggestions
Native Xinput support is something I want to see in PCSX2.
Pokopom and Xpad plugins are currently the closest things, but they don't control the menu like in PPSSPP.
PPSSPP just feels really futuristic.

In PCSX2, it takes 6 clicks to launch a game:
CDVD > Iso > Iso Selector > (Game name) > System> Boot CDVD

Whereas it only takes only 1 click in PPSSPP.

[attachment=47952]

About a year ago, I suggested a new background, as well as save state records.

[attachment=47954]
[attachment=47953]
(01-11-2014, 12:32 PM)devina40 Wrote: [ -> ]Native Xinput support is something I want to see in PCSX2.
Pokopom and Xpad plugins are currently the closest things, but they don't control the menu like in PPSSPP.

I don't really understand the meaning of PCSX2 main screen. What is it? Just a little window with absolutely no active controls besides only menu bar.
IMO it's obsolete and requires a little bit of change.
(01-11-2014, 12:32 PM)devina40 Wrote: [ -> ]Native Xinput support is something I want to see in PCSX2.

I wouldn't say PPSSPP is futuristic but rather contemporary. It's awesome, but not unexpected for an application with mobile/touch devices in mind. In contrast PCSX2 is more, oldschool and desktop only.

Something touch friendly could be done, but how would that interact with the selected plugins? Specially the gpu ones.

The savestate time information shouldn't be hard to do.
How about Project64 or 1964
You have a window that contains a list with all of your games and menu like pcsx2....those emulators also save settings per game

You can easily create a gui with autohotkey and add whatever you want extras(including controlling the gui with gamepad)
I also really like the Wiiflow look.

Just a random thought, I was thinking about what it would be like if PCSX2 and ePSXE/PCSXR, or PCSX2 and PPSSPP all merged into a single emulator, somewhat similar to Dolphin (Gamecube + Wii). Or if some of the PPSSPP coders joined the PCSX2 team and helped re-design the UI.
Pages: 1 2