..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: (Edit:0.9.7b works) Blank/Black Screen,old r1888 works, 1.0.0 & newest SVN don't
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Symptom: Only sound,no visual. I can hear the BIOS screen sound and also can enter the game title screen, even make Snake speaks the intro.

Game is Metal Gear Solid 3 - Subsistence disc 1.

At first I thought it's graphic driver or directx/vc++ problem so I updated them but didn't work.
SVN 5818 also the same symptom.

Then I tried the old SVN r1888 which I used to finish MGS2 and other games on (and on this same laptop), and it works fine.

And I also tried to drag old gsdx-sse4-r1873.dll to 1.0.0's plugin folder and configured to run it,but still only sound. So at this point I thought it's something wrong with my config of the emulation part than gsdx plugin.

I tweaked a lot and also restored to the original config of 1.0.0 but to no avail. Including trying other ISOs or boot without disc.

System spec:
CPU: [email protected]
Graphic card: s3 430 256vram
RAM: 4g ddr3 1066

I know the hardware is weak, but I had already beated some games on it(with r1888) (and r1888 still works) so I guess it's not the reason of this blank screen.

I do want to try out 1.0.0 and new SVN so please don't tell me to just stick with r1888.

Thanks!
Quote:Graphic card: s3 430 256vram
gsdx doesn't support those antique GPU anymore.
(01-20-2014, 08:47 AM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]gsdx doesn't support those antique GPU anymore.

Thanks for quick reply.
I know it's antique...Biggrin

So could you please tell the last / latest SVN or gsdx version that support this GPU? Is there any change log?
it's so old I can't remember.
maybe you'll have an answer here : http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
Thanks.
It's a long list,any suggestion which build I should try my luck with first?
If I read the website correctly, orphis only supplies versions above 4690.
You are probably looking for a version somewhere lower so that you need to compile these versions by yourself.

Probably it would be the best just to compile r2000, r3000, r4000 and find out from which version the SM2.0 was needed (if that is the problem).
If you make it smart you probably only need to compile approx. 10 versions until you find the last working version.

(Still I would like to know how many fps you get playing MGS2 on that pc)
That machine is so slow it is almost impossible for you to get over 20fps really. If that.
With that hardware you can try only some 2d non-demanding titles like Metal Gear and similar... Forget about 3D games and Metal Gear Solid 3.
Thanks for all the replies.
I finally found 0.9.7beta works for me since SVN download starts from 4690. And within expectation it's laggy and buggy. The GPU driver breaks quite a few times.
@willkuer I couldn't remember, it's been years. As said above, should be around 20fps. But it varies for different scenes. Sometimes it's flawless, sometimes it's not playable at all. But according to what I still remember it's a better experience than MGS3 this time.
As for MGS3 fps gets ups and downs due to the camouflage concept. In grass it's fast, in forest it's slow Wacko

I'm more interested in the story so I'm not seeking for the IQ performance.
Would adding some speedhacks reduce the GPU load? broken driver and system restart is really annoying.
(01-20-2014, 06:32 PM)RickM Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for all the replies.
I finally found 0.9.7beta works for me since SVN download starts from 4690. And within expectation it's laggy and buggy. The GPU driver breaks quite a few times.
@willkuer I couldn't remember, it's been years. As said above, should be around 20fps. But it varies for different scenes. Sometimes it's flawless, sometimes it's not playable at all. But according to what I still remember it's a better experience than MGS3 this time.
As for MGS3 fps gets ups and downs due to the camouflage concept. In grass it's fast, in forest it's slow Wacko

I'm more interested in the story so I'm not seeking for the IQ performance.
Would adding some speedhacks reduce the GPU load? broken driver and system restart is really annoying.
that wont change anything.
what you actually get is probably the best you'll ever get.
Pages: 1 2