..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: PCSX2 Thinks my USA BIOS is a Japan BIOS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello, recently I used the "dumpbios-mass.elf" BIOS dumper file with uLaunchELF on the PS2 and had dumped my BIOS to a USB flash drive. After I copied the five files that were dumped on my flash drive to the "bios" folder for PCSX2 and then tried to set it in PCSX2 I noticed that it said it is a Japan BIOS.

I know that the BIOS is not Japan and is in fact USA. The file types that I dumped even listed that they were USA files.

Dumped files:
SCPH-79001_BIOS_VX_USA_220.BIN
SCPH-79001_BIOS_VX_USA_220.EROM
SCPH-79001_BIOS_VX_USA_220.NVM
SCPH-79001_BIOS_VX_USA_220.ROM1
SCPH-79001_BIOS_VX_USA_220.ROM2

I am not sure why it shows up as a Japan BIOS and when I launch the emulator I noticed that X and O have been swapped. X is now "Back" and O is now "Enter." Everything is still in English (except for a file on the newly-formatted virtual PS2 memory card which is in Japanese) and I haven't noticed anything else that may have changed.

I am not necessarily worried about this issue as it is appears minor, but I am curious about why I am now operating in a Japanese BIOS when I dumped it from a USA system. I think it is a bit weird.

Any helpful information would be appreciated, thanks!
(02-22-2014, 12:47 PM)Dark11Void Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, recently I used the "dumpbios-mass.elf" BIOS dumper file with uLaunchELF on the PS2 and had dumped my BIOS to a USB flash drive. After I copied the five files that were dumped on my flash drive to the "bios" folder for PCSX2 and then tried to set it in PCSX2 I noticed that it said it is a Japan BIOS.

I know that the BIOS is not Japan and is in fact USA. The file types that I dumped even listed that they were USA files.

Dumped files:
SCPH-79001_BIOS_VX_USA_220.BIN
SCPH-79001_BIOS_VX_USA_220.EROM
SCPH-79001_BIOS_VX_USA_220.NVM
SCPH-79001_BIOS_VX_USA_220.ROM1
SCPH-79001_BIOS_VX_USA_220.ROM2

I am not sure why it shows up as a Japan BIOS and when I launch the emulator I noticed that X and O have been swapped. X is now "Back" and O is now "Enter." Everything is still in English (except for a file on the newly-formatted virtual PS2 memory card which is in Japanese) and I haven't noticed anything else that may have changed.

I am not necessarily worried about this issue as it is appears minor, but I am curious about why I am now operating in a Japanese BIOS when I dumped it from a USA system. I think it is a bit weird.

Any helpful information would be appreciated, thanks!

Usd fast boot instead of full boot.

Also what game are you tryna play that has the controls like that?
(02-22-2014, 02:01 PM)Donovan24 Wrote: [ -> ]Usd fast boot instead of full boot.

Also what game are you tryna play that has the controls like that?

This has nothing to do with any games. This has to do with the BIOS screen. Using fast boot or full boot made no difference.
(02-22-2014, 02:05 PM)Dark11Void Wrote: [ -> ]This has nothing to do with any games. This has to do with the BIOS screen. Using fast boot or full boot made no difference.

Oh okay if it's only the bios screens then fast boot won't help.

It shouldn't really worry you because all the games will work the same.
The BIOS is highly configurable, it might have ended with it assuming different time zone, format, language and/or any combination of those options.
(02-22-2014, 02:15 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: [ -> ]The BIOS is highly configurable, it might have ended with it assuming different time zone, format, language and/or any combination of those options.

Is there anyway to force it back to a USA BIOS? Even though I dumped a USA BIOS, PCSX2's BIOS selection screen only shows a Japan BIOS for selection.
Well all your BIOS settings are all stored on the memorycard, so i'd make a new one and then full boot, see how that goes. If it still fails try moving your .NVM file out of the BIOS folder as well, you might need to make a new memorycard again though.
(02-22-2014, 02:44 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]Well all your BIOS settings are all stored on the memorycard, so i'd make a new one and then full boot, see how that goes. If it still fails try moving your .NVM file out of the BIOS folder as well, you might need to make a new memorycard again though.

I tried all of that. It is still reading as a Japanese BIOS. All removing the .NVM file did for me was resetting the BIOS back to factory settings where you select your language, date, time, et cetera. But it was still set as Japan.

In the PCSX2 settings for the BIOS it only offers the selection of a Japan BIOS. I wonder what happened in the dumping process (if that is even relevant.)

I am using the latest 1.2.1 revision of PCSX2 for Windows if that helps.
It sounds like the dumping progress went screwy if PCSX2 things it's a Japanese BIOS as well, it literally reads the information out of the BIOS dump to display it on screen. Unless you have some freaky japanese one that somehow got bodged in to being a US console, or you have a weird modchip in that thing
(02-22-2014, 10:40 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds like the dumping progress went screwy if PCSX2 things it's a Japanese BIOS as well, it literally reads the information out of the BIOS dump to display it on screen. Unless you have some freaky japanese one that somehow got bodged in to being a US console, or you have a weird modchip in that thing

I will try to re-dump the BIOS from my PS2. As far as I know, my PS2 is a perfectly normal American PS2. No physical modifications have been made to the system. I will report back on this thread when I have the results.
Pages: 1 2 3