..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Adapter Option in GsDx? (switchable Gfx)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Its been years since i have been using PCSX2.. i just got a new (and faster) laptop for simulating some work and i just thought of using PCSX2 there..

when I started configuring the gsdx plugin, i saw an option for the adapter.. but i didnt see my ati gfx card on the options.. instead, i saw my integrated gfx(intel) in the list along with some other options..

i tried setting pcsx2.exe to high performance on catalyst but it seems to have done nothing...

ive attatched a pic to show the other options

Specs: Intel Core i5 3210m @ 2.1ghz but can go 2.8ghz max
AMD/ATI Radeon 8750m <--> Intel HD Graphics 4000 (from i5 processor)

how do i set it to use the amd/ati gfx card?
Just set it on DEFAULT and try then...and I dont know how does ur laptop work with 2 GPUs inside???
you should try to update your drivers. that may be the cause
what happens when you set it to reference ?
mine only lets me select between direct3d9 hardware and software

also what version of pcsx2 are you using and what is your operating system ?
you could always try one of the latest svn versions instead, i've been informed by one of the coders here that they may be a bit slower, but it might solve your problem

good luck
Set it to reference and/or update your drivers.
If you set it to reference it will be slow as all hell, that is complete software emulation which is in there for debugging purposes only!
I tried that, you are right. Well then, I'll go hide now.

Tongue
I also have a system with Switchable Graphics ('SG'): i7-4500u + 8850m. On this system, I set GSdx to 'Default Hardware Device', and then it works according to the config in Catalyst (uses the 8850m when in high performance, or the integrated GPU when on power saving).

As a first step, I'd check if the Switchable Graphics works at all on your system. Just find a 3D game, change the SG config in catalyst and make sure it has an effect on performance (after re-launching the game with the new config).

You could use GPU-Z or Open Hardware Monitor (the latter shows info from both GPUs and CPU on the same screen, so that's convenient) to monitor your CPU/GPUs loads and see which GPU is working.

You should also know that AMD 's SG is not as mature as Nvidia's optimus, so the drivers could be an issue. As a first step, I'd recommend to use the OEM drivers (those from the laptop manufacturer site), as they sometimes work better than the reference Intel+AMD drivers. They might be a bit older than the reference drivers, but just to make sure you go as compatible as you can as a first step. If you get it working well with the OEM drivers, then you may try newer reference drivers.

On my system I use the OEM intel drivers (which are one version back from the current latest Intel reference drivers), and AMD's 13.9 reference mobility drivers (13.12 had issues on my system), and everything seems well for now.

These are the fps numbers on my system at the Bios/Browser screen ("swirling lights"), PCSX2 (release 1.2.1) at preset '1 - Safest', GSdx at default (native resolution, extra rendering threads=0).

Catalyst: PCSX2 = power saving

D3D11 Hardware:
- Small window: 135 fps
- 1080p window: 107 fps

D3D11 Software:
- Small window: 70 fps
- 1080p window: 65 fps

Catalyst: PCSX2 = high performance

D3D11 Hardware
- Small window: 190 fps
- 1080p window: 170 fps

D3D11 Software
- Small window: 72 fps
- 1080p window: 63 fps

(in actual games the difference is bigger between the iGPU and the dGPU, and especially in higher resolutions like x2 or x3 native).
(03-14-2014, 09:00 PM)avih Wrote: [ -> ]I also have a system with Switchable Graphics ('SG'): i7-4500u + 8850m. On this system, I set GSdx to 'Default Hardware Device', and then it works according to the config in Catalyst (uses the 8850m when in high performance, or the integrated GPU when on power saving).

As a first step, I'd check if the Switchable Graphics works at all on your system. Just find a 3D game, change the SG config in catalyst and make sure it has an effect on performance (after re-launching the game with the new config).

You could use GPU-Z or Open Hardware Monitor (the latter shows info from both GPUs and CPU on the same screen, so that's convenient) to monitor your CPU/GPUs loads and see which GPU is working.

You should also know that AMD 's SG is not as mature as Nvidia's optimus, so the drivers could be an issue. As a first step, I'd recommend to use the OEM drivers (those from the laptop manufacturer site), as they sometimes work better than the reference Intel+AMD drivers. They might be a bit older than the reference drivers, but just to make sure you go as compatible as you can as a first step. If you get it working well with the OEM drivers, then you may try newer reference drivers.

On my system I use the OEM intel drivers (which are one version back from the current latest Intel reference drivers), and AMD's 13.9 reference mobility drivers (13.12 had issues on my system), and everything seems well for now.

These are the fps numbers on my system at the Bios/Browser screen ("swirling lights"), PCSX2 (release 1.2.1) at preset '1 - Safest', GSdx at default (native resolution, extra rendering threads=0).

Catalyst: PCSX2 = power saving

D3D11 Hardware:
- Small window: 135 fps
- 1080p window: 107 fps

D3D11 Software:
- Small window: 70 fps
- 1080p window: 65 fps

Catalyst: PCSX2 = high performance

D3D11 Hardware
- Small window: 190 fps
- 1080p window: 170 fps

D3D11 Software
- Small window: 72 fps
- 1080p window: 63 fps

(in actual games the difference is bigger between the iGPU and the dGPU, and especially in higher resolutions like x2 or x3 native).

i just dont notice the difference whenever i use that option and switch gfx cards in catalyst.. assassin's creed lags whenever i force it to run in the intel though..

does the fact that my os is windows 8 single language x64 add in to my problem?

My Pc model is Samsung NP370R4E-S05PH
I have a laptop with switchable graphics too (AMD 6620G APU + a dedicated 6650M), and it only lets me select Default or the 6620G for me too. Default works fine though and it uses whatever card the application's power plan is set to (high performance -> 6650M, power saving -> 6620G). I don't think it's supposed to list the dedicated card, I've seen lots of games that use launchers not list the dedicated card either, yet they still make use of it.