..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: DS4Windows -- yet another DualShock 4 driver! (No longer under active development)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-21-2014, 06:58 PM)shinra358 Wrote: [ -> ]@Jays2Kings: Yeah but that was the point. To not be able to that and for it to act like a real driver. The .vbs I made creates the shortcut inside that startup folder. But I didn't think that was the professional way to go about it so that's why I had asked.

@jhebbel: what other things do you plan to add to your version in the future?

other than continuing to polish the GUI and installer, my next mission will probably be to do some DX hooking to allow for in game menus to make small changes and hot swap profiles and maybe even do a sharing functionality like consoles have to post pics to FB etc, beyond that its just a matter of what I come up with, The DS4Tool is already a pretty well made tool.
Also guys, from experimenting with the other version and duranzo, etc. I found that the default deadzone for the triggers should be 0.68 instead of 0.5. At 0.5, when pressing R1+R2 at the same time (or L's), R1 will be pressed first most of the time resulting in the game not reading that the two buttons pressed both at once. I found that 0.68 gives a 99.9% 'at the same time' press. So if ya'll would put 0.68 as the defaults instead of 0.5, that would be great. That way, when changing versions, that would be one less thing a person would have to configure.
(05-21-2014, 07:49 PM)shinra358 Wrote: [ -> ]Also guys, from experimenting with the other version and duranzo, etc. I found that the default deadzone for the triggers should be 0.68 instead of 0.5. At 0.5, when pressing R1+R2 at the same time (or L's), R1 will be pressed first most of the time resulting in the game not reading that the two buttons pressed both at once. I found that 0.68 gives a 99.9% 'at the same time' press. So if ya'll would put 0.68 as the defaults instead of 0.5, that would be great. That way, when changing versions, that would be one less thing a person would have to configure.

I believe that value is already stored as part of the "profile" so it should be a set once thing then never have to worry again as new versions just get this value from the profile as well.
(05-21-2014, 07:53 PM)jhebbel Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that value is already stored as part of the "profile" so it should be a set once thing then never have to worry again as new versions just get this value from the profile as well.

So when I tested yours out from having an .ini from electrobrains version, I still had to make a new profile. Are you saying that I could have loaded the electrobrains ini in yours (because when I said 'switching back and forth' I meant between all version from all devs that have their own version of the program)? Also, yours bumped up to 0.7 everytime I tried to put 0.68.

(05-21-2014, 07:45 PM)jhebbel Wrote: [ -> ]other than continuing to polish the GUI and installer, my next mission will probably be to do some DX hooking to allow for in game menus to make small changes and hot swap profiles and maybe even do a sharing functionality like consoles have to post pics to FB etc, beyond that its just a matter of what I come up with, The DS4Tool is already a pretty well made tool.

People often wished (when controllers first came to pc and beyond) that analog stick deadzones would have been a good idea inside the driver to make the controller last longer instead of throwing it away when they would mess up. There are external programs that adjust the analog deadzone. But if it were in the controller driver/program, it would be one less program we would need. And some mods don't work well with the .dlls used to achieve it (only some). Since analog stick deadzones configs can solve the problem of the controller getting old and characters moving without pressing anything, would you consider adding analog deadzone configs like you did with the analog triggers (anti-deadzone config not needed, just deadzone config because sticks never mess up from the outside; just the middle)?
(05-21-2014, 07:53 PM)jhebbel Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that value is already stored as part of the "profile" so it should be a set once thing then never have to worry again as new versions just get this value from the profile as well.

That is true, at best I could change the default value when making a new profile, but profiles already made will have whatever value they currently have. I've never had that issue, or at least had many game that want me to press L1/L2 / R1/R2. The only thing that comes to mind is titanfall on PC, I used the DS4 for it with L1 as jump and L2 as aim, I never had a problem with that but hey that's why it can be changed. As jhebbel said, profiles keep the same settings across versions.

And here's another small update: I added Start with windows option, and now DS4Windows only checks for updates hourly (but only when running), however updater will still check immediately when started. There are also some small UI changes to the welcome screen.

Edit:
(05-21-2014, 08:00 PM)shinra358 Wrote: [ -> ]So when I tested yours out from having an .ini from electrobrains version, I still had to make a new profile. Are you saying that I could have loaded the electrobrains ini in yours (because when I said 'switching back and forth' I meant between all version from all devs that have their own version of the program)? Also, yours bumped up to 0.7 everytime I tried to put 0.68.
Electrobrians version doesn't use profiles, just mine and jhebbel's. Also don't worry evne though it says .7, it truly is .68, it just rounds itself in the GUI, but the acutal file is .68.
(05-21-2014, 08:00 PM)shinra358 Wrote: [ -> ]People often wished (when controllers first came to pc and beyond) that analog stick deadzones would have been a good idea inside the driver to make the controller last longer instead of throwing it away when they would mess up. There are external programs that adjust the analog deadzone. But if it were in the controller driver/program, it would be one less program we would need. And some mods don't work well with the .dlls used to achieve it (only some). Since analog stick deadzones configs can solve the problem of the controller getting old and characters moving without pressing anything, would you consider adding analog deadzone configs like you did with the analog triggers (anti-deadzone config not needed, just deadzone config because sticks never mess up from the outside; just the middle)?

I want to add this too, however I still trying to figure out how the trigger deadzone was added, since it was add weirdly in the first place.
(05-21-2014, 08:00 PM)shinra358 Wrote: [ -> ]So when I tested yours out from having an .ini from electrobrains version, I still had to make a new profile. Are you saying that I could have loaded the electrobrains ini in yours (because when I said 'switching back and forth' I meant between all version from all devs that have their own version of the program)? Also, yours bumped up to 0.7 everytime I tried to put 0.68.

People often wished (when controllers first came to pc and beyond) that analog stick deadzones would have been a good idea inside the driver to make the controller last longer instead of throwing it away when they would mess up. There are external programs that adjust the analog deadzone. But if it were in the controller driver/program, it would be one less program we would need. And some mods don't work well with the .dlls used to achieve it (only some). Since analog stick deadzones configs can solve the problem of the controller getting old and characters moving without pressing anything, would you consider adding analog deadzone configs like you did with the analog triggers (anti-deadzone config not needed, just deadzone config because sticks never mess up from the outside; just the middle)?

Me and J2Ks version don't use INIs but XMLs which are interchangeable and backward compatible, if electrobrains uses INIs then no it wouldn't work with his.

Deadzone configuration may be doable,but thats something that would be better handled in the HID mapping layer which I haven't really started messing with yet. Also I don't think newer pots in newer controllers "get loose" and have the same issue like older controllers had, id do it for more of a personal taste rationality as some people actually like some deadzone in their controls whereas other like none, perhaps maybe some positional curves for extra advanced functionality too?
(05-21-2014, 08:07 PM)jhebbel Wrote: [ -> ]Me and J2Ks version don't use INIs but XMLs which are interchangeable and backward compatible, if electrobrains uses INIs then no it wouldn't work with his.

Deadzone configuration may be doable,but thats something that would be better handled in the HID mapping layer which I haven't really started messing with yet. Also I don't think newer pots in newer controllers "get loose" and have the same issue like older controllers had, id do it for more of a personal taste rationality as some people actually like some deadzone in their controls whereas other like none, perhaps maybe some positional curves for extra advanced functionality too?

Electrobrains version uses xmls too, It never made ini's. However they aren't backwards compatible unless you manually edit the xmls, as electrobrains uses one xml to hold the data for all 4 controllers, and multiple xmls for mapping.
(05-21-2014, 08:04 PM)Jays2Kings Wrote: [ -> ]I want to add this too, however I still trying to figure out how the trigger deadzone was added, since it was add weirdly in the first place.

I think what your looking for is in DS4Control.Mapping.cs the last 2 methods in there.
(05-21-2014, 08:07 PM)jhebbel Wrote: [ -> ]Also I don't think newer pots in newer controllers "get loose" and have the same issue like older controllers had, id do it for more of a personal taste rationality as some people actually like some deadzone in their controls whereas other like none, perhaps maybe some positional curves for extra advanced functionality too?

Yeah, they still do have these types of problems unfortunately. Extended use, heavy hands, or accidentally leaving the controller laying on the sticks can cause this. Here is a person who is having that same problem (randomly just picked the link from google while trying to find an example):
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1459...g-properly

Sure, you can do that too, but me personally, I'm just looking for the longevity of the controller with the deadzones edits Smile

@Jays2Kings: i believe the deadzone trigger options were first used by KrossX at one of my requests in his pokopom and duranzo because the trigger would press by itself because some games don't have deadzone settings for it and it would be loose and jiggle causing the button press. Also it was almost impossible to do a simultanious press with out it like dualshock 2 controllers (because it wasn't a trigger then, it was just a button and they both were the same length whereas with a trigger, you have a lot more ways to go until a full button press). For a comparison, try to press R1 and R2 at the same time in SF4. The throw (or focus attack if you have those as mp and mk) will never come out at deadzone = 50 or deadzone = none.
So as I look at the trigger deadzones, it's currently not implemented. As in it's there, settings, value and even a method, however the method for implementing the deadzone is never called. I hate to tell you shinra358, but the .68 to fix it is purely placebo.

I can easily add a deadzone to the triggers for digital actions such as mapping the left stick to wasd, however to add a deadzone to xinput mode is a little bit more difficult to figure out. Just thought I give you a quick update.