..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Xenosaga episode 1 save problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yes, seen this several times before, but i have started dumping some data and looking into the issue and it looks like with 1.3.0 rev 5927 some "areas" when saving (even save anywhere code) causes the game to go to playstation disc menu. Looking at the dumps and console, i see these areas force the memory card to "auto eject". Any way for the code team to fix this auto eject error? does this help pinpoint the problem with at least 1.3.0 as 1.2.1 and earlier were a separate error?
No this bug hasnt been fixed in all this time ( its a really old bug) cause last i checked coders said fixing it will break things so they never bothered

Just use save state before you use save point till you know which one go to boot menu. there is only like 3 or so that do it, Shion room on woglinde/save on elsa by bridge and the first save when exit the encephalon. there ir probably 1 or 2 more but like i said just use save state before you use save point
first save when you just got the first opportunity to save is bugged, just wait for Shion's Room or the bridge on the Elsa to save, until then indeed use savestates, but don't purely use save states though, since they can be quite unstable.
I can save in 80% of the game now, so you are wrong, this rev breaks the "areas" vs the actual save point. This is seen by using the code to save anywhere and still getting the same area in random parts of the game. So they fixed something, but broke something else. Something that was said so long ago isn't even valid now. Once i get the source ill just try to fix it myself being a programmer.
(04-13-2014, 07:18 AM)Jwalters0814 Wrote: [ -> ]I can save in 80% of the game now, so you are wrong, this rev breaks the "areas" vs the actual save point. This is seen by using the code to save anywhere and still getting the same area in random parts of the game. So they fixed something, but broke something else. Something that was said so long ago isn't even valid now. Once i get the source ill just try to fix it myself being a programmer.

80% of the save points work to begin with there only hand full that are broke,

Cheat codes will break things further.

And yes its still valid as it will fixing this will break other thing for other guys which is not worth to the dev's.

Feel free to try fix it though.
There isn't any need to save to the card(unless you will be changing the pcsx2 version)
Just use certain save state slot as a replacement for the memory card(save there only when you want to save to the card)
1) Yes this reply is late
2) older releases had a lot more save points broken
3) not fixing this issue means the game is half ass'd / completed. You can't complete certain objectives in certain parts of the game no matter if they relate to the main story or not. the EVS ability to use the kos mos emulator to go back to previously played levels at certain parts of the game to open certain doors / get certain emails for completion relies on these abilities to save to mem card.
4) No need to save to card is in the eye of the beholder, just because you are willing to complete the game quickly and not care about some of the things that helped boost the fun factor for other people doesn't mean there is no need to save to mem card for someone like me.
5) I will indeed try to fix this, got a lot to look through, no thanks to PCSX2 team tho. glad this is open source.
Really...I never payed much attention(I mainly play the game because I like the story)but does it really rely on the memory card save that much.
I clear the game multiple times on my PS2 but I didn't know that it need the memory card save for all those things
This is indeed an old bug and possibly will not be fixed so soon. Anyway it seems to be related to a few save points inside the ship and before certain events and not available anymore for the whole game.

There is a misconception about sstate that must be understood clearly. Sstates do not corrupt games, it just makes a copy of the memory region and if a corruption is already there, be it caused by emulation error or wrong cheat codes or whatever, that corruption is recorded and then accumulated with eventual new corruptions over time.

So yes, sstates should be avoided as "long term saves"... don't use it to keep saves of your game to be used far ahead. Above all don't use it exclusively. On the other hand it is extremely useful for short term saves, to emergency saves and so on.

The memcard save on the other hand is controlled by the game itself and saves only specific values and features, like the save point position, characters inventory and status ... whatever the game's developers deem necessary to recover the game from scratch. That means that loading from memcard the game is reconstructed from the original data in disk (or ISO in the case) and then supposed to be error free.

So, if the game is saved every time a save point becomes available and at least frequently enough loaded from one these saves, sstates made after this are as safe as possible, abuse them at will, it may save your skin before boss fights in some games (or even while fighting in some cases). Just remember to make a memcard save and a memcard load once and again. Of course just making memcard saves and never loading from them is bad idea.

Edit: Think loading from memcard is like a memory clean allowing sstates to be clean as well and to eliminate possible memory corruptions and to prevent them to accumulate.

Edit 2: Notice the loading from the memcard with "cleansing" purposes should be done from the beginning, as soon as the emulator is started. Directly from the game's load screen and not after loading from sstate when possible corruptions might be already recorded (some games have the option to load on fly). Once that fresh load (supposedly clean) is done, make a new sstate immediately to grant it to be the most corruption free as possible.
there are like 3 or 4 save points that do this and none them happen its spots where it gona cause major issues. Its long standing bug, and it not prority and any save points that did that dont do now is just a random side effect some change they did global and not for the game it self.

I have beat the game countless times and this bug is in now way major issue annoyance sure major issue that keep your from saving no.

Like I said if "you" know how to fix go for maybe the dev's will use the fix if it dont break other things
Pages: 1 2 3