..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Disc Tray Sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it normal for the cd tray to make loud humming sounds when playing the ps2 discs?
Considering it spins continuously, I suppose it is.
that's why we recommend making an iso out of your DVDs
I also get those loud humming noises, but only with PS2 CD's.
If it's humming it means your drive is causing vibration at high speeds, so yes, it's normal for your drive. As above, it is better to make ISO's of your games and use that instead, this also solves stutters that happen for up to 5-10 seconds when the disc is spinning up
(05-19-2014, 09:46 PM)sciphi21 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it normal for the cd tray to make loud humming sounds when playing the ps2 discs?
Yes, but there are other sounds which are bad signs, like a "kss kss kss" sound. Some of my discs do that and spin slower than normal, eventually stopping. So yeah, be careful and pay attention.
I dont get anything like this on my main desktop PC with PS2 discs but when I use SPECIFIC PS1 discs (like Lego Racer or Zero Divide 2) on my laptop the disc drive vibrates like crazy and makes loud noises.

I have alwyas believed that only very specific spinning speed makes the drive vibrate.

For example (on my laptop): PC games that require higher speed disc drive make the sound of spinning fast but dont make any significant noises.

Old PC games or PS1 games that were not too optimized for the system cause the vibration.
Those games may require some special ways of reading.