..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Video card overclock
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I decided to overclock my video card today to hoping it will increase performance, and i did big time. I have Ati HD 3600 at 750Mhz core clock , i overclocked it to 860Mhz core and 1740Mhz(air cooling) memory and it the FPS increased from 30 to 50. I read around that CPU clock make the difference , but i have E7200 Duo 2,5GHZ. I use GSDX 0.1.14 DirectX 9 hardware 3.0 shader and 1920x1200 internal resolution and i get ~50Fps with video overclock.

Will it make sense to continue video overclocking with liquid or phase change cooling to get flawless gameplay ?

Cpu overclock had no effect ...
It'd depend on the game and the internal resolution, with an internal res that high on a 3600 I could understand why it would be the GPU limiting you, so as long as it is the gpu limiting you, your fps probably will increase with a higher overclock. You could also decrease the internal resolution, but that would decrease the quality too.

Edit: Oh and if it makes sense to continue overclocking, buying better cooling etc, you can only decide for yourself - however you could consider getting a new graphics card, the 4850's are pretty cheap nowadays for example, you'd gain a lot more on that than buying new cooling to overclock you 3600.

(my first post on the new forum, been lurking around a lot though Smile)
Water, and especially phase, isn't worth the money or effort for that rig in my opinion. How far did you overclock your CPU? Going to 3.2 you should see a difference. You should be careful overclocking your GPU too far, you'll start to get BSODs. Have you tested to make sure yours is ok?
Uhm, the video card is.. not very useful for emulation, and of course this also applies to pcsx2
I can't believe the guy actually considered phase change for that video card.
Not even going to go into all of the reasons (and there are many) why that would be a bad idea.

Water (ambient), Bong (slightly sub-ambient) cooling is the most any typical user should go for.
When you start going into ln2, dry ice, phase, peltier/TEC (which is so inefficient, it's not even practical) thats for extreme stuff.
Why would you use watercooling or phase change on a card worth about $50 USD when you could just buy a better video card?