..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Oculus Rift ( VR ) Support?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys. I got one of the new DK2 Oculus Rifts to test over the weekend and man is it amazing. I won't go further in depth there's tons of reviews out there.

What I would like to know is if VR support could happen somewhere down the line? Once the consumer version of the Rift comes out it's going to change the world in a big way. The dolphin emulator already has support for VR - Wind Waker video link -

It would be amazing to play some PS2 games in VR. No idea how viable it is, but if it's a feature that could be implemented in the future... it would be wild.
*drool*
Pulling something like this off is very difficult, because none of the game were designed for 3-D.

The best you could hope for is a virtual room with like a 80 inch virtual tv.
(08-24-2014, 05:07 PM)Deyadissa Wrote: [ -> ]Pulling something like this off is very difficult, because none of the game were designed for 3-D....

And yet they're already "pulling it off" on the Wii via Dolphin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXZTTaosYmY
(08-24-2014, 05:07 PM)Deyadissa Wrote: [ -> ]Pulling something like this off is very difficult, because none of the game were designed for 3-D.

The best you could hope for is a virtual room with like a 80 inch virtual tv.

Ya wonder what kinda hardware it would take to make that possible. ..

Scootaloo

(08-24-2014, 07:28 PM)Isamu Wrote: [ -> ]And yet they're already "pulling it off" on the Wii via Dolphin.
If it's so easy to do than why don't you go in, and magically code OR support for PCSX2 then? /s

People seem to love to underestimate just how much time, effort, and work goes into adding features (especially as big as this one) for emulators. Considering PCSX2 development is kind of stagnant (when compared to projects like Dolphin, or PPSSPP) it probably won't happen in a long time unless a miracle happens.
(08-24-2014, 07:28 PM)Isamu Wrote: [ -> ]And yet they're already "pulling it off" on the Wii via Dolphin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXZTTaosYmY

Basically, the issue is that GDSX renders stuff without a Z-depth, I don't know the technical reason why this happens, but it's the same reason it is near impossible to rip models from the games.

Quite simply, it would require a rewrite of GDSX (or heavy modifying), which is also needed for other things.
^ But that doesn't make any sense. I mean, I'm not arguing that it would be very hard(It would), but I'm curious as to watch you said about Z depth. GSdx has the "Logarithmic Z" setting (only changeable in DX9, forced on in DX10/11) and having it off causes Z-fighting sometimes in areas. So what do you mean it doesn't use a z depth?

Scootaloo

The vibe I'm getting is this is a lost cause unless someone with proper experience steps up the plate. Nevermind OR support, I'm more worried about the future of PCSX2. If something doesn't happen soon I can see PCSX2 becoming the next Project 64.
(08-25-2014, 01:57 AM)Scootaloo Wrote: [ -> ]The vibe I'm getting is this is a lost cause unless someone with proper experience steps up the plate. Nevermind OR support, I'm more worried about the future of PCSX2. If something doesn't happen soon I can see PCSX2 becoming the next Project 64.

I don't know what you mean by that but from what I can tell pj64 is for all intents and purposes perfect. If the developers there called it quites I can't blame them. What's the point of trying to improve on a program that is basically perfect. If the development of pcsx2 has stalled, which I have no clue, it may be bc there's nowhere else to with it. As far as full 3d support its probably going to require some kinda break thru with a program that can somehow predict which objects should be foreground or background and filter the frames and change the final output. I'm no computer genius so I have no clue how that would work but it's easy to say it's not going to happen anytime soon. Now ps3 on the other hand whose games were designed to run In a 3d mode..... Once it's emulated will almost be a given that rift support is there.

One thing about rift is that it's been teased to the market so many times they ain't going to get serious support until they finally release it. Whoever is in charge keeps beating the bush, grow some balls release the thing and let's go.
Pages: 1 2