..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: PC crashes while playing MGS3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
found another thread with a similar issue and it looked like the only real answer given was faulty RAM. was wondering if anyone could offer some insight. I will admit that my RAM is supposed to run at 1866 mhz, but for some reason my pc would crash at that speed and underclocking it to 1600mhz seemed to fix it.
Here's what blue screen view says:
http://prntscr.com/4hw0j8

It may also be the fact that i have windows 8.1. It's been giving me a lot of issues like RAM usage being at 100%, HDD usuage being at 100% (both issues caused my system to hang and have been fixed), and core temp also made my PC freeze after opening it and all the searches i've done to fix those problems said it was because of windows 8.1.
Hardware Specs:
i5 4690k @4.5ghz
1tb HDD
8gb G.Skill RAM
asus r9 280
650 watt 80+ gold certified psu
gigabyte z97x gaming 3 motherboard
I don't seem to crash while doing other things, just while playing pcsx2. This is really inconvenient for me because finally after about 4 years or so I've reached my goal of playing mgs3 full speed, including cutscenes, and now I'm trying to record it and it'll just crash right in the middle of it.
Bugcheck 124 is an unknown fatal hardware error.

I suspect your overclock is not stable. Try running Prime95 or some other stress test and see if the same thing happens.
(08-30-2014, 08:40 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: [ -> ]Bugcheck 124 is an unknown fatal hardware error.

I suspect your overclock is not stable. Try running Prime95 or some other stress test and see if the same thing happens.

i've got a feeling you're right. i just ran prime95 and my pc crashed after only a few seconds. I went into the bios to increase the voltage, but it looked like i was no longer runing at 4.5gz, though my voltage was still set to 1.215. for some reason it went back to the default clock speed of 3.5ghz. anyways, now i've got it at 4.5 ghz and a voltage of 1.22 and im gonna run the test again.

EDIT: system seems stable now, however i haven't played much of mgs3 yet. isn't it odd that it'd only crash while playing pcsx2? all my other games ran just fine. i thought that undervolting would cause issues like this, not over volting.