..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Beginner needing help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have recently set up pcsx2 using the very easy-to-follow configuration guide on this forum, however all my PS2 games run terribly. My computer has some pretty solid specs -

Intel Q6600 CPU
ATi Radeon 4870 GPU
4 GB Ram (although, this is bottlenecked by my 32-bit Windows Vista)

I have tried using Direct3D 9 and 10 (under the hardware setting), with a combination of different resolutions and interlacings; however both Shadow of the Colossus and Sly Cooper are running terribly: the framerate hovers between 20 and 30 FPS, but the entire thing runs like a PS2 submerged in molasses. The characters walk slowly, and the sound matches it. Any voiceovers are done in comical slow-motion. Thinking the sound could be doing something bad, I even disabled it and it provided very little improvement.

Sorry if I overlooked anything, but I just wanted to know why this is going so terribly on my computer. Cheers, and thanks.
what's the speed of your cpu? Huh (probably it's bcuz of that ATI radeon 4870, since it has been said to work badly with gsdx Unsure )
Q6600 Stock - Core2Quad 2.4GHz
Yeah, my Q6600 runs at the stock speed mentioned. That's disappointing to hear about the 4870 - it's a damn fine card at running all my PC games maxed out. Is there any feasible fix or alternative for me? Is my card really doing this to me?

P.S. Thanks for the extremely fast replies, it's 1AM here so this was a pleasant surprise!
(03-23-2009, 07:09 AM)CaptainClams Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, my Q6600 runs at the stock speed mentioned. That's disappointing to hear about the 4870 - it's a damn fine card at running all my PC games maxed out. Is there any feasible fix or alternative for me? Is my card really doing this to me?

P.S. Thanks for the extremely fast replies, it's 1AM here so this was a pleasant surprise!

ATI vs Nvidia affects GSDX plugin only, as far as I know. Now sure why, but it seems to be coded to favor Nvidia cards and DX10. Perhaps you may get decent results with ZegoGS plugin, but it's very outdated now.
I just tried using the ZeroGS Kosmos 0.97.1 plugin and its basic settings, and the result was slightly worse. The objects on the screen were blobs with large black amorphous blobs across the screen. Also, the game still ran just as sluggishly, if not more, than the gsdx counterpart.

This is really frustrating! I have all my PS2 games but no working PS2 and I was hoping this emulator would be my savior. Please keep the suggestions coming Smile

Thanks.
Which games are you trying to run? Some games run slow on pcsx2 and probably you are running those. Also 4870 has performance issues with pcsx2 so you may not get proper speed.

edit didn't see you mentioned the name, well SOC will run slow at that speed you may need to overclock.
You need to use the speedhacks in the configuration menu. Use the 3x speed hack with shadow of the colossus, it says right under it that it's works well for that game. I got a 30FPS boost with it and there are no downsides to using it. Sly Cooper will probably work better with the 2x setting, because 3x tends to screw other games up.
Oh and use GSDx, it's gonna work way better then ZeroGS. Use the SSSE3 because that is what works with your processor.
Also, the sound problem you mentioned is because the game is running slowly, the sound speed matches the framerate, so you have to be running at 60FPS for it to sound right.
I would definitely try to squeeze some juice out of that CPU. Unfortunately PCSX2 only uses 2 cores now and in the foreseeable future (I've read quad cores are not a dev priority), so your CPU comes off as a slightly slow dual core.
See Compability List. that will help you
Some Games as redlof says Runs Slow, so in Compability list you will Find that what the Game Compability is.