..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: OpenGL settings for Yakuza?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Haven't messed with Yakuza in a while, was wondering if the OpenGL stuff has made any improvements to the ghost/blur issues this game has
I'm working through the issues of this game myself right now Smile

For me at least, OpenGL does not solve the bloom ghosting around objects. BUT setting the resolution to 2x istead of 3x solved the bloom bar that ran along the right side of the screen. Check out these two pics - I was running with 2x resolution and OpenGL. No blooming along the right side of the screen, but plenty blooming along Date's nose in the closeup and from every light source in the outdoors picture.

If you use the old hack with Alpha and Skipdraw 1, it works fine removing all the bloom, but every TV screen ingame will be blank, which is super noticeable in Chapter 8.
Compare these two, one in hardware mode and one in software. Sure, the software mode one also has bloom coming off the light sources, but in hardware mode it is much more excessive and has these weird lines running through the bloom.
I mean - my copy is the PAL version. It might be different with the NTSC version, I don't know.
I know software mode is more accurate for this was just trying to get that sweet uprezed action going on. Why is this game in perticaler so hard to get right? It's one of the few games I have un fixable issues with.
I don't know, but there are lots of games that are much worse emulated than the Yakuza games - at least here you get hardware mode and smooth resolution with just a few minor concessions.

BTW, sorry, my comments were about Yakuza 2, not Yakuza 1. I misread you. But I believe the two are fairly similar in their emulation. I finished Yakuza 1 before getting into emulation, and I feel it's the weakest of the bunch, so I most likely will never replay it in emulation.

For now, it seems you have to choose: live with a certain amount of bloom ghosting or live with having to switch to software mode every time there is something happening on an in-game TV screen. For my part I have chosen to live with the latter - just because it happens so rarely. Bloom ghosting OTOH is in EVERY scene.
If you can compare HW/SW renderer, you need to compare them in native resolution.

If upscaling reduce the blooming effect, it is likely due to the rounding. SW renderer uses integer whereas GPU relies on float. We could use int on GPU but it hurts perf by 20% Sad
Gregory, native resolution hardware mode in OpenGL results in no bloom ghosting. See attached pic. I am certain there are a few of us who could handle a 20 % performance hit Smile  Might that be a possible solution for Mercenaries also, do you think?
So blooming is created by upscaling?
Yes, as far as I can tell.
Pages: 1 2