..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Crash Twinsanity PAL shadow error in hardware mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hy everybody!

The software mode is a bit slow sometimes (90% or 100% speed in some areas, 60% in others), and I couldn't increase that more, so I need to stick with Hardware mode. That runs on 50+fps perfectly, very smoothly. The only problem is the shadow of Crash, because that makes the game unplayable (since you need to see, where will you land after jumping. I think it's necessary to be able to complete the game.

Is there a way to solve that somehow in HW mode? or is there a way to make the SW mode to be always on 100% (without skipping too much frames)? It would be better if the HW mode's shadow bug could be solved.

Thanks.
maybe you could try OpenGL (hardware mode) with Accurate Date , HW Depth and higher level of Blending unit accuracy ?
(01-29-2016, 05:58 AM)ssakash Wrote: [ -> ]maybe you could try OpenGL (hardware mode) with Accurate Date , HW Depth and higher level of Blending unit accuracy ?

No success. I would be very interested about the technical background of this error. I'm also a developer (not a PlayStation developer), but I'm very curious about this. What could be responsible about the shadows in the PS2 in this game and why can I see that only in SW mode? Isn't there a way to software emulate only the shadows part? 
But maybe I ask these things only, because I don't know too much about the technical details.
Quote:What could be responsible about the shadows in the PS2 in this game and why can I see that only in SW mode? Isn't there a way to software emulate only the shadows part?

Software mode emulates the GS memory format and some complex equations through a shader ( things which normal GPU don't support due to fixed function pipeline) which in turn means better replication of the Host (Graphics synthesizer) and eventually exhibits accurate reproduction of the effects in cost of performance.
(01-29-2016, 04:04 PM)ssakash Wrote: [ -> ]Software mode emulates the GS memory format and some complex equations through a shader ( things which normal GPU don't support due to fixed function pipeline) which in turn means better replication of the Host (Graphics synthesizer) and eventually exhibits accurate reproduction of the effects in cost of performance.

Maybe it's a silly question: If it's a shader, isn't there a way to combine the hardware and software mode? I mean the upper half of the screen would be in hardware mode, and the bottom half would be in software mode. Because the shadow will be only in the bottom half of the screen. Maybe it would be a useful function in the next PCSX2, to set, which parts of the window should be rendered using the software mode, and which part of the screen should be rendered in hardware mode.

Or: there would be the hardware mode, and the software mode would be on the top of that image, with a worse resolution and it would be transparent.
But maybe these things can't be implemented, I don't know.