..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Software mode running slow on Skylake i7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Software mode runs like a slide show no matter how many rendering threads are being used.  This only happens with Skylake i7's as Haswell i7's still run software mode fine.
(02-01-2016, 06:11 PM)Dr_Hycodan Wrote: [ -> ]Software mode runs like a slide show no matter how many rendering threads are being used.  This only happens with Skylake i7's as Haswell i7's still run software mode fine.

I thought everyone knew about this already.
(02-01-2016, 07:27 PM)dogen Wrote: [ -> ]I thought everyone knew about this already.

I don't get your point? It doesn't always run slow.

It really depends on the game and other factors to do with the game like VU load etc.
(02-01-2016, 09:29 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get your point? It doesn't always run slow.

It really depends on the game and other factors to do with the game like VU load etc.

I just remember him posting about this multiple times already.
Dunno, maybe it's trying to calculate pi? xD
Update your motherboard BIOS skylake has some known issues (in general not related to PCSX2) that are fixed by updated BIOS.
(02-02-2016, 03:54 PM)bomblord Wrote: [ -> ]Update your motherboard BIOS skylake has some known issues (in general not related to PCSX2) that are fixed by updated BIOS.

Damn, I just got a skylake 6600k and ran straight into this issue.

However I'm not sure that a BIOS update is the only solution. There's something weird going on because *sometimes* the games run just fine and only *some* games run perfectly while others don't. From my collection Black (PAL), GT4 (PAL) and Star Wars Battlefront II (PAL) are affected but none of my other games are.

One thing I did notice - sometimes just opening and closing the GSDx settings causes the game to run normally. Sometimes I can also get the performance back where it should be by hitting F9 twice after an affected game starts up. In both cases I guess resetting GSDx seems to cause some improvement.

However this behaviour makes testing and troubleshooting really diffcult. Even worse, changing rendering threads on the fly also seems to cause all sorts of issues and there's no pattern or consistency in the test results. So when testing I use a fixed configuration of two rendering threads, mipmapping and Edge AA off, MTVU off and using OpenGL/AVX2 as the renderer and don't mess with any settings while the game is running.
The CPU has a bug in its micro code. A bios update is the only way to avoid it. Of course, the bug isn't obvious so it requires special condition to trigger it.

However I'm not sure current GSdx issue is related to this CPU bug. However it would help if you could upgrade your bios, check that you have latest skylake micro code and retest it.
(02-05-2016, 12:13 PM)gregory Wrote: [ -> ]The CPU has a bug in its micro code. A bios update is the only way to avoid it. Of course, the bug isn't obvious so it requires special condition to trigger it.

However I'm not sure current GSdx issue is related to this CPU bug. However it would help if you could upgrade your bios, check that you have latest skylake micro code and retest it.

There's no BIOS update available for my motherboard just yet (Asus 1701 Pro Gaming).

However, I was able to fix the problem just by reverting to an older version of GSDx. Specifically, using the 1.2.1 release version gsdx32-avx2-r5875.dll resolves the issue. I also tried with the more recent stable 1.4.0 version but it has the same problem as the newer gits.

So at some point between the 1.2.1 release and the 1.4.0 release there is a problem. I could certainly help narrow it down but I can't really test every single git build between Feb 2014 and January 2016.

Do you have an idea of revisions I should start looking from?
Pages: 1 2 3