..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Tiny freezes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Heya guys,

I finally got around to playing Ico (SotC will be next) and after some fiddling around (that is especially after using the OpenGL GSDX) I don't have any annoying graphical glitches and everything runs well. Except for one thing: Not all the time but every time something 'special' happens, I get a short freeze. Sometimes it's when I change rooms but mostly it happens when I pull a lever or something similar and then, right when the camera wants to show what happens, I get that freeze. First I thought it might be shader cache generation (avid Dolphin user here ;P ) but somehow I doubt that because whatever is shown in that scene (when it freezes) is not really something I haven't seen before. Like, I have seen that bridge already. Now it just falls down or somehting.

It's not a biiig deal because it doesn't happen all of the time, not in the middle of the action and the freezes are really short, but they kinda kill the atmosphere a bit and I don't recall to ever have had anything like that with PCSX2 (although I gotta admit I haven't used it in a while).
Now, before I rack up all those settings and stuff: Maybe it's a known issue to people here and maybe you have a quick fix for me immediately, like, some sort of setting I should check or something?

Thanks a lot in advance!
There's a lot of things that can cause this: Loading of animations, loading of textures, loading of models, loading of sound effects, decompression of assets, new VU programs being run, etc. The thing is when you trigger something like a lever etc the result should happen "instantly" but it can't because we need to deal with the new thing that was loaded so there is a tiny delay. This doesn't happen on real hardware because there is no overhead, but in emulation of course there is.

Sometimes putting the ISO on an SSD can help(not usually though), sometimes overclocking the EE can help(if your system can handle it). Beyond that it depends on the game.
Alright, I'll try these things! Thanks for now Smile
Nah, that didn't really change anything. I guess there's no option to load the whole iso into RAM, eh?
Is your HDD that slow?

It could just be some sort of settings issue. Can you post your non-default settings?
Nah, my HDD isn't slower than normal I think. Also, the issue was still there when I put the iso on my SSD (maybe a tiny bit better but that might have just been a placebo effect)

[Image: b5phiazu.jpg]
(enabled hacks: Half-Pixel Offset and Wild Arms Offset)

[Image: y37ndu7l.jpg]

Everything else is at default (or not really important to this issue I guess, like Sound, Input, etc.).
I suggest setting the speedhacks to "Restore Defaults", you really don't need those enhanced slider settings for ICO and they could very well be the cause of this issue.
Do you have the issue on the GSdx SW renderer. Some GS effects are quite bad for the GPU latency
Heh, well, now I've already beaten Ico. Anyway, I have a feeling I'll have the same issue with SotC so I'll remember your advice there.
BTW, there doesn't happen to be some kind of 60FPS patch or something for that game, eh?
And the Speedhacks, do they remedy those spots where even the real PS2 went to its knees?

EDIT: Forget about the 60FPS patch. I forgot the game actually runs at 60 FPS. Or at least it's supposed to. Feels so damn choppy! >_<

EDIT2: So, I just realized the setting (VU Cycle Stealing) that's supposed to help with FPS is actually the one making it feel more choppy for me. When I'm a hundred meters (or so) away and look at the temple, emulation speed is still at 100% but it gets real choppy. This doesn't happen when I leave that setting at 0.
It's still choppy when I stand just 30 meters in front of it, but there doesn't seem to be a setting that fixes that.

EDIT3: Ah, well... without VU Cycle Stealing, some places in the intro (like at the big bridge) tear the FPS down big-time; at least if you don't have 5 GHz or something I guess >_<
Hah, I've found a solution to my little freezes issue. As I thought I also had it in SotC and there it was more annoying because it was more frequent and also while in the middle of the action.
The solution was simply to deactivate the Windows pagefile! :o
Pages: 1 2