..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: PCSX2 DDR Audio/Video Synchronization
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm trying to play DDR Extreme 2 and there is audio latency that is affecting my game play.

It is manageable for the most part, but i got to a song in the game where the notes turn invisible so i have to listen to the beat in order to hit them correctly.

If i go into config -> Audio -> plugin settings
I'm able to adjust this latency from 100 to a minimum of 15
This helps, but the sound quality suffers as expected and described by PCSX2 documentation pages.

To fix this issue i was hoping that i could render the video 100ms early (which doesn't really sound right)
or add a 100ms delay to my DDR mat input. This would allow me to hit the the notes to the beat of the song
and not worry about the graphics so much. (this seems more practical)

After doing some research I couldn't find how to add a delay for the input. 

So the ultimate question is, does anyone experience this problem and is there a known fix for this issue?

Versions and stuff
PCSX2 1.4
Processor: intel core i7 2.4ghz
Graphics card: 755m nvida
ram: 8gb
Rhythm games can be quite suspicious in emulators for the most part. For instance I love Amplitude to death, but I can't play worth a damn in PCSX2 because the timing isn't only different, it fluctuates.

Anyway to answer your question there is no way to render the video early(because it doesn't really exist before it is rendered). Delaying the input will only work if you are hitting notes drastically early. If you are being late then that won't help at all. Either way I don't know any effective way to do that.

Regardless the first thing to discern is if you are hitting notes too early or too late. Which is it?
(12-13-2016, 10:33 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: [ -> ]Rhythm games can be quite suspicious in emulators for the most part. For instance I love Amplitude to death, but I can't play worth a damn in PCSX2 because the timing isn't only different, it fluctuates.

Anyway to answer your question there is no way to render the video early(because it doesn't really exist before it is rendered). Delaying the input will only work if you are hitting notes drastically early. If you are being late then that won't help at all. Either way I don't know any effective way to do that.

Regardless the first thing to discern is if you are hitting notes too early or too late. Which is it?

If i try to hit the note to the sound it seems like the video has already passed.
In other words, if i hit the arrow to the sound i hear, it is too last for the video.

I ran 2 test, one with the audio set to 15 latency and one with the audio set to 750 latency
the 15 latency more accurate but choppy music
the 750 latency had the video end before the music ended

So that means that i am hitting the notes too late for the video.

I noticed too the fluctuation that you were talking about, in some songs it seems like the video lines up better with the audio.... so this might just be how it is for the mean time u.u
(12-13-2016, 11:31 PM)Psyaryu Wrote: [ -> ]If i try to hit the note to the sound it seems like the video has already passed.
In other words, if i hit the arrow to the sound i hear, it is too last for the video.

I ran 2 test, one with the audio set to 15 latency and one with the audio set to 750 latency
the 15 latency more accurate but choppy music
the 750 latency had the video end before the music ended

So that means that i am hitting the notes too late for the video.

I noticed too the fluctuation that you were talking about, in some songs it seems like the video lines up better with the audio.... so this might just be how it is for the mean time u.u

Okay so we've confirmed your audio is late. To make the video and audio match you could delay the video(which might be possible depending on your monitor) but that wouldn't help with the actual timing of your presses so this isn't worth trying.

Firstly what I would do is set the latency to the lowest value you can that doesn't cause audio issues. The choppy audio will create more in the way of the fluctuations I was talking about.

Secondly I would ask are you using any speedhacks of any kind(Like EE cyclerate, VU stealing, etc). It seems like you have more than a normal amount of latency even for an emulator. Also what is your audio set up(i.e. like headphones, PC speakers, an amp, etc)?

One thing I also don't know is if DDR bases it's timing on the audio or the video. I'd think audio, but IDK. Does anyone know?
(12-13-2016, 11:39 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: [ -> ]Secondly I would ask are you using any speedhacks of any kind(Like EE cyclerate, VU stealing, etc). It seems like you have more than a normal amount of latency even for an emulator. Also what is your audio set up(i.e. like headphones, PC speakers, an amp, etc)?

One thing I also don't know is if DDR bases it's timing on the audio or the video. I'd think audio, but IDK. Does anyone know?

I just have the default settings for for the emulator and I have no external sound hardware it's strictly the speakers in my laptop.
The latency is set to the default which I believe is 100.
I will play with it and find a nice value of where the audio doesn't become choppy.

*EDIT* it seems 35 latency provides no static, but latency of 31 does. So that definitely helps.

Depending on the difficulty you play the notes line up better with the audio. Sometimes they add more notes to accommodate breaks, but once you hit the "heavy/challenge" difficulties the songs line up well with the audio. At least i feel like they do in DDR Extreme 2.

As a weird hack, i could try hooking my computer up to a t.v. via hdmi. That usually results in about 100~160ms video lag and then i could off set the audio to accommodate for it.
(12-14-2016, 12:08 AM)Psyaryu Wrote: [ -> ]As a weird hack, i could try hooking my computer up to a t.v. via hdmi. That usually results in about 100~160ms video lag and then i could off set the audio to accommodate for it.

Whether this would help depends on whether DDR times based on audio or video. You can try though, it won't hurt. Short of that I personally don't know what to suggest. Generally the timing in emulators is slightly different but you can adapt, but it seems like your timing is quite a bit off :/
(12-14-2016, 12:30 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: [ -> ]Whether this would help depends on whether DDR times based on audio or video. You can try though, it won't hurt. Short of that I personally don't know what to suggest. Generally the timing in emulators is slightly different but you can adapt, but it seems like your timing is quite a bit off :/

It's really only the one mode where the notes go invisible. The latency isn't so bad that it's unplayable and setting the latency to 35 does lessen the gap so that helps a lot.
With that latency if i hit the notes to the beat I would land mostly "Greats" so adjusting a little to accommodate for "Perfect" and "Marvelous" isn't too bad.

I guess we just have to wait for PCSX2 to have an update that might fix such issues or they provide a dance pad mat hack the same way they have one for a guitar hero controller. 

Thanks for the reply! :3
Did you also try adjusting the in-game setting? It allows you to account for delay between audio and video in relation to the arrows on-screen.
Ooh, does it? See I wondered, but I'm not familiar with DDR and other PS2 era rhythm games with which I am familiar don't allow that.
Yeah it's basically a TV monitor calibration similar to what the Guitar Hero games let you do
Pages: 1 2