..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Texture Filtering vs. Texture Filtering of Display?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed there's a new option under Shader configuration that was enabled by default called 'Texture Filtering of Display', what exactly does this do vs. the regular Texture Filtering, and should I leave it enabled as it was by default, or turn it off?
Maybe for 2D stuff like HUDs?
It determines how the final image output is scaled to the screen or window size:

Checked - bilinear filtering (smooth, blurry if upscaling)
Unchecked - nearest-neighbour interpolation (pixelated, useful to preserve sharpness if upscaling fixed-resolution 2D graphics and/or for clean upscaling to exact multiples of the game resolution. Results in an aliased image if scaling down from higher resolutions, especially if the resolution being scaled down is not a multiple of the display/window resolution.)

1280x720 window size
1280x720: 1:1 unscaled
640x360: filtered | nearest
2560x1440: filtered | nearest
5x native (2560x2560): filtered | nearest

A potential future improvement could be to add different scaling algorithms like lanczos, which can produce nicer results on non-integer (and greater than 2x2) scales compared to bilinear (e.g. 5x native scaled down using lanczos3). Asmodean added extra scaling algorithms in the TV Shader drop-down box some time ago, but the PR was closed without merging.
(04-02-2017, 10:58 PM)Dreadmoth Wrote: [ -> ]It determines how the final image output is scaled to the screen or window size:

Checked - bilinear filtering (smooth, blurry if upscaling)
Unchecked - nearest-neighbour interpolation (pixelated, useful to preserve sharpness if upscaling fixed-resolution 2D graphics and/or for clean upscaling to exact multiples of the game resolution. Results in an aliased image if scaling down from higher resolutions, especially if the resolution being scaled down is not a multiple of the display/window resolution.)

1280x720 window size
1280x720: 1:1 unscaled
640x360: filtered | nearest
2560x1440: filtered | nearest
5x native (2560x2560): filtered | nearest

A potential future improvement could be to add different scaling algorithms like lanczos, which can produce nicer results on non-integer scales compared to bilinear (e.g. 5x native scaled down using lanczos3). Asmodean added extra scaling algorithms in the TV Shader drop-down box some time ago, but the PR was closed without merging.

Don't know why I didn't realize that lol
Quote:It determines how the final image output is scaled to the screen or window size
+1, don't remember what we wrote in the tooltip (maybe I forgot to add one) Smile

It helps to reduce the blurring of 2D-pixelated game.