..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Cheat Engine and PCSX2 feature request
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all pcsx2 is a great emulator. Recently I started playing Xenosaga. I wanted to create a script via cheat engine to double my tech points gained. On a PC game it is pretty simple. You just simply find the function and write a new script to replace it. You can't do that with the emulator though because it uses JIT or so I have read. The code just appears as mov ....,edx. I know pcsx2dis exists but it doesn't have the various injection methods that cheat engine uses. I don't see a good way to write a script using it. 

My request is to somehow implement the features from cheat engine into pcsx2. It would scan the code that would be assembled before it actually is instead of after. This would allow script writing I am pretty sure. 

The scan module would not be an issue. It doesn't interrupt the JIT, I think. Script writing might be an issue. If I remember correctly emulator JIT's are optimized so creating a weird jump in the non-JITed code might cause issues or slowdowns.  

I am pretty sure that you would need permission from the people over at cheat engine but that shouldn't be an issue.

These are running on my assumptions so feel free to correct them.
Why are you using cheat engine instead of gameshark codes?
(04-04-2017, 09:31 PM)Ulblast Wrote: [ -> ]Why are you using cheat engine instead of gameshark codes?
I don't know how to do ASM to gameshark. With scripts, you can edit more values beyond current hp, etc. You can do things like breaking the damage limit in final fantasy. That game has a check that if the damage goes over 9999 it will cap it there. However, if you can find this part of the code with a dissembler, you can change it or remove it if you wish. Another thing you can do is make a general health multiplier. Every time a boss or enemy loads, you can set it to a multiple of what it would normally be. 

In other words, scripts allow a much greater control over what you are doing vs simple hex codes.

Besides, finding functions isn't the same as finding simple values.
Is your problem that cheat engine is injecting without checking your syntax?
Also I recommend Memory Hacking Software over Cheat Engine (Memory hacking software has a RAM searching feature with a hex editor, and it also has an injection feature but I haven't tried it.) The download comes with a manual if you have any questions about code injection. Also it has a disassembler.
(04-07-2017, 06:51 AM)DarkZeruda Wrote: [ -> ]Is your problem that cheat engine is injecting without checking your syntax?
Also I recommend Memory Hacking Software over Cheat Engine (Memory hacking software has a RAM searching feature with a hex editor, and it also has an injection feature but I haven't tried it.) The download comes with a manual if you have any questions about code injection. Also it has a disassembler.

CE has all the things you mentioned, and then some.
(04-07-2017, 06:51 AM)DarkZeruda Wrote: [ -> ]Is your problem that cheat engine is injecting without checking your syntax?

I haven't checked this forum for a while. 

That isn't the problem. I figured out part of it. If you scroll up a bit in certain games you can find the function that controls addition, etc. However, the functions that will cap damage, hp, etc elude me.

it usually presents a mov[register],eax or that backwards. You can't shl the eax or the pointer because it will produce a weird result. There are workarounds but it would be a lot easier if it had native support.
(04-04-2017, 04:28 PM)god22 Wrote: [ -> ]First of all pcsx2 is a great emulator. Recently I started playing Xenosaga. I wanted to create a script via cheat engine to double my tech points gained. On a PC game it is pretty simple. You just simply find the function and write a new script to replace it. You can't do that with the emulator though because it uses JIT or so I have read. The code just appears as mov ....,edx. I know pcsx2dis exists but it doesn't have the various injection methods that cheat engine uses. I don't see a good way to write a script using it. 

My request is to somehow implement the features from cheat engine into pcsx2. It would scan the code that would be assembled before it actually is instead of after. This would allow script writing I am pretty sure. 

The scan module would not be an issue. It doesn't interrupt the JIT, I think. Script writing might be an issue. If I remember correctly emulator JIT's are optimized so creating a weird jump in the non-JITed code might cause issues or slowdowns.  

I am pretty sure that you would need permission from the people over at cheat engine but that shouldn't be an issue.

These are running on my assumptions so feel free to correct them.

Cant you just use cheat engine on the emulator itself? would that not be easier?

I mean you may have to set it to binary, but it should still work, right?

Although I have used it on other VM like applications before and it is pretty hard to get it working...