..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Problem with PCSX2 (Slow game, "Jak And Daxter: Precursor Legacy")
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I have a problem with this program and i want to know if there is a possible solution.
Well, when i was a child i had this console and i played a lot of the "Jak And Daxter" series, and now that i have a decent computer i've told myself why not try the game again.
So, i configure the pcsx2 and for my surprise there is a lot of lag.
I only feel lagged when there are a lot of things behind the scene, as you can see on this vid.

PCSX2 Version: pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-635-g4281b86-windows-x86
CPU: Intel Xeon E5450 (lga 775 mod)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 2GB

When i feel lagged, the cpu usage on the proccess of ppcsx2 up to 90% (And goes up to 60ºC CPU degrees), so, is possible to solution? What is the best configuration for my PC? Thank you for reading and apologizing for my English.

Waiting an answer, Pingu.
What are your PCSX2 and GSDX settings?

That CPU is "ok" but it's a little bit slow for what we recommend. You might need to overclock that CPU to get decent speeds, but we will check your PCSX2 settings as well
(04-12-2017, 02:27 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]What are your PCSX2 and GSDX settings?

That CPU is "ok" but it's a little bit slow for what we recommend. You might need to overclock that CPU to get decent speeds, but we will check your PCSX2 settings as well

Here is my settings: 

Using "GSdx32-SSE4" For GS Plugin
Hmm, you might be reaching the limits of your CPU in that case then, you have all the hacks i'd recommend on, your GPU shouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure what to suggest beyond overclocking...

Somebody else might have an idea, but I can't really see anything that would help, sorry man Sad

(btw you missed the hw hacks section in gsdx on your video Tongue)
An E5450 is like a crippled i7 950, it doesnt even have HT if i remember right. My 920 cant run most games without speedhacks, and for some games speedhacks have a negative effect, for exemple ratched and clank.
An i5 3550 @stock can run all games without any problems (some games might need VU speedhack on 1, but it feels thats the bare minimum to have... (around 2000 points in single tread performance test)
Have a look here https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
Aim for something 2000 or higher in score and you should be fine.

You could try VU cycle rate and/or cycle rate and see what happens.

Edit:

You could offcourse try OC that cpu, but i dont think that will help that much, its a old cpu, old architecture. A skylake @ 3ghz will fare much better for example.

Looked up the E5450, its before the i7, its even older, released in 2007, its in Q6700 class of CPU, kentsfield etc.
(04-12-2017, 07:51 PM)Aggressor22 Wrote: [ -> ]An i5 3550 @stock can run all games without any problems

Not true at all. Most games for sure, but there are definitely some that even something like my 3770k @ 4.2Ghz has slowdown on. I think maybe a 7700k @ 5Ghz which has an STP of near 3000 might eat those final few games that are so ludicrously demanding though. I'd like someone to test that XD
(04-12-2017, 08:19 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: [ -> ]Not true at all. Most games for sure, but there are definitely some that even something like my 3770k @ 4.2Ghz has slowdown on. I think maybe a 7700k @ 5Ghz which has an STP of near 3000 might eat those final few games that are so ludicrously demanding though. I'd like someone to test that XD

Offcourse theres some games that will get slowdown on your 3770k @ 4.2 but so will on a 7700k on 5Ghz, I think there will always be games that will run slow on any cpu Tongue
Also think that some games do run slow on the actual PS2 aswell, some games even droppen below 20fps. I have noticed PCSX2 emulates that perfectly, the same lag on the same spots etc. SOTC is an exempel of running slow on the PS2, remember playing it on the PS2 and it was quit laggy.
Even less demanding games like Half Life and GTA3 lag rather much, with HL below 20fps.
'Overclocking the EE' doesnt seem to help, not with the games i tried atleast (might be my cpu not holding up with higher EE rates).

What i meant is that with an i5 3550 you can enjoy most games, should have said most. But the games that do cripple that CPU, do cripple most CPU's.
Was actually thinking upgrading to an 3770k if i find one cheap, fastest i can go with ivy Smile
Well, thank you all for the answers !! I would have liked to run this game in the emulator to be able to record it (I want to get started on the speedruns) but I think I will have to buy a cheap capture machine (an EasyCap for 7 $ seems to me cheaper than a new computer [motherboard, processor ... You know, 300 $ minimum Blink ]) and play from my original PS2.
Anyway I was very surprised that my computer can run games like "Nier: Automata" without any problem and however, I can not run a game of December 2001. I suppose that this emulator will require many more requirements than I expected .
Anyway, thanks a lot to everyone for the answers !! You have helped me a lot !!  Biggrin

PD: Tapping some adjustments I have achieved a 90% speed in the area shown in the video, but 70% in the main town, and for what I am looking for is something inadmissible.  Closedeyes

For now I will continue to wait for them to "adapt" PCSX2 in some way to less powerful equipment, not all we have an i5 / i7, but anyway I am very happy that there is this program and really people can continue playing PS2 titles like They did it in their childhood.  Laugh

Thank you very much to all !!  Biggrin
Try OC together with the speedhacks, worth the try atleast Tongue
Your pc could handle those games with ease if they were programmed for it, PCSX2 is emulating the PS2, which wasnt that powerfull but just very different. A P3 1GHZ with Geforce 2 could outdo the PS2 if the games where written/optimized for it.

Second hand an ivy or perhaps skylake mb + CPU + ram is all you need to get it playable.
(04-12-2017, 09:28 PM)PinguGameDos Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway I was very surprised that my computer can run games like "Nier: Automata" without any problem and however, I can not run a game of December 2001.

This is a common misconception people make. Emulation is VERY different from playing a native game on your computer, it does a lot more work than any game does, in fact it does everything a game does, and a heck of a lot more.

(04-12-2017, 09:28 PM)PinguGameDos Wrote: [ -> ]For now I will continue to wait for them to "adapt" PCSX2 in some way to less powerful equipment, not all we have an i5 / i7

Not gonna happen, sorry Tongue (not sorry) It's difficult for us to squeeze more performance out of the emulator without compromising on compatibility, your best bet is to upgrade to a newer computer with a faster CPU, your machine is technically about 7 years old now, so maybe it's about time? Tongue

Seriously though, newer hardware is the future for better performance, we might improve it to an extent, but not to the extent faster hardware can do it.
Pages: 1 2