..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: MGS 2 Random Slowdowns and audio distortions help.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well time for me to post something here.... I have an i7-4790, 2 R7 370 4gb GPU's on windows 10 Pro 64bit, and 24GB of Ram. I'm having sort of the same issues with Random slowdowns from 50fps to a whopping 47 fps during cutscenes or transitions from cutscenes etc etc...is there anyway to to minimize the slowdowns so that instead of dropping like 15 frames or so it'll only drop 5-10 so that the impact isn't even noticeable? Im also using pcsx2 1.4.

Here are the screens of my settings:

[Image: i6YEY0i.jpg][Image: qJkSOkM.jpg][Image: EJ6pwEp.jpg][Image: ZBdITMn.jpg][Image: C9XrBFu.jpg]

The one below has already been changed to 2x native (fps improved slightly but not enough for it to matter. will try doing native next).
[Image: 1X8gNwM.jpg]

[Image: dupJanm.jpg][Image: 4xeZql9.jpg]

and here is the console error I get when the slowdowns and stuff start happening:

[Image: 0T767o1.jpg]

any help would be greatly appreciated.

(also went into my radeon settings and set frame rate target control to 60 FPS to see if that would even help)
ok so putting it in actual native res under plugin settings actually reduces the amount of fps drop to around 5 fps or so... however the microVUO error shown in the last image above is still occuring.... im thinking that the microvuo is what is actually causing the fps drops and the audio distortions that occur because of the slowdowns might be the culrpit
also noticed something I wasn't expecting to find...the thermal googles currently do not work in pcsx2...that's disappointing. and as I got further along into the holds of the Tanker part of MGS2 the fps drops started becoming more frequent.
The MicroVU warning can be ignored according to what ref told me.
In the GIT versions of PCSX2 it's still there as well,

Code:
microVU0 Warning: Branch, Branch, Branch! [05c8]

(04-12-2017, 11:34 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]It shouldn't be an error anymore, I think it is being handled correctly, it was just a really weird sequence of events which is totally illegal on the VU's Tongue

Must have got missed/left when we were getting rid of the error messages or downgrading them to warnings.

Here's what I use to get the best performance out of the game:
  • Set CRC Hack Level to 'Full'.
  • Enable Hardware Hacks: Skipdraw 1 (Fixes the massive slowdowns caused by Stealth camouflage as well. Not sure if it changes anything else in-game, personally haven't noticed it).
  • Native Resolution: 3x, or 4x if your rig can handle it.

If I have skipdraw disabled, when Stealth camouflage is equipped, the performance drops to anywhere between 40~80%, whereas with Skipdraw set to 1, I can run the game at 120 FPS. (200%). The Tanker mission is still a nightmare in some areas, particular outside with the rain and various reflections all over the area.
Well seeing as I'm still using 1.4 and didn't even know 1.5 was even available...was there any performance increase from 1.4 to 1.5?
It's worth trying
Well I would love to get 1.5 but the main site seems to be disabled
is pcsx2 1.5 a dev build or a stable release?
also I set the default screen size for the game to 1280x720 so as far as upscaling goes...I only need it to go up to 1080P cause im doing Gaming LP's on youtube.
ok so I got the latest dev build and my rig can gio up as far a 2x native and I have all the other settings you recommended to limit the fps drops. and upon working on my grip to get it to level 3...as soon as I got the 3rd level i immediately noticed something very off....

[Image: ti04lFS.jpg]

the grip gauge color should be purple not grey.... cause it goes from greenish to yellowish and then to a bluish color and since purple is of product of blue and green....well that's not really a major issue but it certainly is a noticeable one lol. will continue testing on to see if more fps stutters and slowdowns happen