..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: 4 core....what for????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
ok I read the faq and I was wondering...

I understand that reprograming all the code for 4 core is a pain but is there a simple way to send only SPU and/or GPU on the other core so the 2 other core wouldn't be useless.

It's maybe a newbe question but I think it worth asking.
In short, no.

Search the forum for a more complete answer, but the jist is it's not nearly that easy. GPU can be run in software mode on tri/quad cores, but you may see no increase (or even a loss) in performance.
well software video always heavier to run then hardware video so I don't think it is a good thing to compare them.

But yeah you are right I should look for other tread
uh.. isn't software mode bad? with less speed and lower quality?
(04-17-2009, 08:25 AM)agentghost Wrote: [ -> ]uh.. isn't software mode bad? with less speed and lower quality?

Not necessarily... Sometimes it provides better graphics... While using GSdx D3D10 Software, and with 3 SWTHreads, the results were on my PC almost 100% of those of a PS2 console.
If it's better/worse depends on your hardware. If you have a quad-core and integrated graphics it's probably better. If you have a very good graphics card it's probably worse. But this is considering the situation from the wrong direction.
Usually people that use software mode do so because they don't have any other choice, they don't choose software because they have a quad core.
Just another thing to try for yourself and see how it works for you Smile

Maybe one day PCSX2 will fully utilize 4 cores, but don't hold your breath lol.
In anycase we are note here to talk about video plugins... but quad core cheap way to take advantage without redoing all the coding.

Beside I don't think that quad core really need big optimizing.

I mean even with a phenom2 x4 I run must of game at 100%

it's just that I find it sad to not using 2 core at all
I stated the video plugin case as I found it the only that can utilize more cores as you wish in the PCSX2. About rewritting code, I don't know if you're a programmer, but if you think it was that easy to change it so that you'd use more cores, try and find debates on Adobe, Microsoft, Corel and other high-end products where programmers discuss how it is NOT simple to rewrite code to utilize the rest of the cores on a quad core... The x86/x64 architecture change was a big turn in development, and now to add to this 4 core compliant code... Development would last years before anything would be done...
okay I think I didnt express my self right...

I didn't want to say reprogramming pcsx2 into a 4 core app

I know it would been a pain to do it (and surely useless)

what I'm talking about is

the 2 cores for pcsx2 (as it is already)
one core for the spu plug ins
one core for the gpu plug ins
or something like that

and I just wondering if it is possible(or hard to do)...not saying that it is the idea of the year
Yes what you just said requires a huge reprogramming to be possible,that's the issue. PCSX2 currently uses one core and the other core is for the GS (gpu) plugin. Anything different than this will require a huge rewrite
Pages: 1 2