..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Just a couple of resolution questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I know you can increase the resolution while running games. On Gsdx and I go to configure I can change the D3D resolution but I don't think that does anything.

When I start a game, among the top bar it still says 640x480. I have tried using the configuration guide but I must be just overlooking the option.
That number is the game's native resolution. The internal resolution will increase when you change it, but that number you see will never change.
(06-24-2009, 05:58 AM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: [ -> ]That number is the game's native resolution. The internal resolution will increase when you change it, but that number you see will never change.

Ok, well I guess I don't understand that still then. Changing that resolution seems to do nothing if the game still displays it as 640x480. What does changing those numbers do?
This is a tough one.. I know what it does, but I can't explain it...
You can't change those numbers as that is simply displaying what the games native resolution is, not the resolution you have set using the D3D internal resolution option. You won't notice much difference unless you set the D3D internal resolution numbers to something fairly high. What are you setting the D3D internal resolution to?
D3D internal resolution is more of an Antialiasing setting. so if native res is 640x480 then 1280x960 would be 2x AA. anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong, but thats my understanding of it.

If you want to change the actual resolution you need to change that on the Resolution section (top one) in the graphics plugin settings.
(06-24-2009, 02:02 PM)unauthorizedlogin Wrote: [ -> ]D3D internal resolution is more of an Antialiasing setting. so if native res is 640x480 then 1280x960 would be 2x AA. anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong, but thats my understanding of it.

If you want to change the actual resolution you need to change that on the Resolution section (top one) in the graphics plugin settings.

Yeah, that's definitely the quick and dirty version. AA involves a bit more than just increased resolution I think, but explaining things that way gives people an idea of what is going on at least.
So do you guys generally mess with the D3D numbers then?
Yup, that way you can upscale games to 1080p =D

Some games don't handle the upscaling very well, though so you have to experiment with each game.
i play all my 4:3 games (FFX e.g.) on 1600x1200 internal resolution, and games with 16:9 support (FF12 e.g.) on 1920x1080, both fitting perfectly to my desktop resolution of 1920x1200. it's more than a simple upscaling algorithm, it completely overrides the resolution the game is rendered in, thus greatly enhancing the visual quality of 3d games. it won't be ps3/xbox360 level (for that you would also have to replace the 3d models and textures of the game with more complex versions), but your eyes will love it Wink
Pages: 1 2 3