..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: I wonder if these Laptop Specs are good enough for me to use pcsx2?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm curious as to whether or not this system will play Pcsx2 or, more specifically, KH2FM+, well. I do not have the system yet, so I can't properly check yet, but I'd like to have a general Idea of what to expect.

Processor & Memory:

* Intel® Core? 2 Duo Processor P8600 at 2.4GHz
* 3MB L2 cache
* 1066MHz Front Side Bus
* 4GB DDR3 1067MHz SDRAM

Drives:

* 500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
* 8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive

Graphics & Video:

* 256MB NVIDIA GeForce NB9M-GE Graphics

Audio:

* Integrated High Definition Audio 2.0
* 4 Watt Integrated Speakers (2W x 2 channels)

Operating System:

* Microsoft® Windows® Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
KH and KH2 are some of the few games which doesn't need a lot to perform well. Depending on your GPU (which I'm not familiar with) the game might be able to be playable at a good speed. I see no problems with the CPU either for a game like KH2.
that's either the GeForce 9200M GS or the GeForce 9300M GS, which are both very weak. but as aemony already stated, the kh games are not the most demanding ones, so with some speed hacks it might run quite well. but don't be surprised if the game runs faster in software mode than in hardware mode Wink
(07-01-2009, 03:53 PM)zero29 Wrote: [ -> ]that's either the GeForce 9200M GS or the GeForce 9300M GS, which are both very weak. but as aemony already stated, the kh games are not the most demanding ones, so with some speed hacks it might run quite well. but don't be surprised if the game runs faster in software mode than in hardware mode Wink

Thank you, you guys. One more question; what's the difference between those two modes?

Edit: Perhaps I should mention its a Dell XPS 1340 which, apparently, can run Hybrid SLI Configuration with a 9400m and a 9200m GF.
Exactly what it says. Software mode is CPU-only, which means more accurate emulation but lower FPS, and hardware is CPU + GPU, which means less accurate emulaton but higher FPS.
(07-01-2009, 06:42 PM)Renteka-bond Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2009, 03:53 PM)zero29 Wrote: [ -> ]that's either the GeForce 9200M GS or the GeForce 9300M GS, which are both very weak. but as aemony already stated, the kh games are not the most demanding ones, so with some speed hacks it might run quite well. but don't be surprised if the game runs faster in software mode than in hardware mode Wink

Thank you, you guys. One more question; what's the difference between those two modes?

Edit: Perhaps I should mention its a Dell XPS 1340 which, apparently, can run Hybrid SLI Configuration with a 9400m and a 9200m GF.

afaik pcsx2 is unable to profit from sli/crossfire setups. and the hardware mode uses your graphics card to emulate the ps2's gpu, software mode uses only your cpu for all parts of the ps2. problem is that with very weak cards, like many integrated or low end mobile graphics, this hardware acceleration even slows down the emulator instead of boosting the fps you get. so, sometimes the software mode is as fast as or even faster than the hardware mode.
(07-01-2009, 08:55 PM)zero29 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2009, 06:42 PM)Renteka-bond Wrote: [ -> ]

afaik pcsx2 is unable to profit from sli/crossfire setups. and the hardware mode uses your graphics card to emulate the ps2's gpu, software mode uses only your cpu for all parts of the ps2. problem is that with very weak cards, like many integrated or low end mobile graphics, this hardware acceleration even slows down the emulator instead of boosting the fps you get. so, sometimes the software mode is as fast as or even faster than the hardware mode.

Alright, thanks. I'll be sure to that in mind. Unfortunately for me, I'll have to wait till at least the 10th before I can test this.

I appreciate the help, you two.