..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Help With Final Fantasy XII
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to the software. I notice that I am getting some pretty crappy frame rates even though my hardware isn't all that bad. Basically I'm running a laptop its a q9000 quad core intel 2.0 ghz processor 4gb of ram ati 4650 1gb dedicated card. When I try to play Final fantasy XII I'm only getting at max 35 frps. I have set sse to 4.
1 and graphics to hardware 10. So I'm just curious is it truly my hardware that is lacking or are there adjustments that can be made to make this game more playable. I have speed hacks enable 2x and the right hand side all enabled.

Please Help!~
I don't think it'll be possible for you to get full speed on this game with those specs, this game needs a more powerful processor. If you do want to play it still though, you can get a speed boost from doing a few things.
1. Create an ISO of your game and run it through the Linuz Iso CDVD plugin
2. Get the latest beta of PCSX2 and take advantage of the newer speedhacks
3. Get a later or latest revision of GSdx

To do 2 and 3, you'll probably need to install a few extra things (VC Redist '08 and '10, and update DirectX).
Thanks, I will try the things you recommended
It's your adjustmants, im sure of it. Im using a Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz (lol) and a 9600m gt, and i can get full speed 80-90% of the time. You might get lag in the menu, but that's easily solved by setting internal resolution to like 768 with the resolution size to 800x600. That way the menu runs at full speed without pixelation. Only draw back is a smaller screen size, so it's up to you. Also make sure to untick 'allow 8-bit textures'. That is important.

Now, set EE sync hack to 1.5x, not 2x. 2x makes cutscenes all stuttery like hell. For the misc EE hacks, i just ticked the first 2 and last one. Also, put cycle steal to large. You won't get any glitches. Even at the highest setting i haven't encountered any bugs so you can try that too if you want.

Next go into the advanced options and check 'denormals are zero', 'flush to zero', and set clamp mode to none.

For sound i just used default spu2-x settings. should work well for you too. As larfin pointed out, use linuz iso.

As for the versions of pcsx2, i used the official beta release and the plugins that came with it. However, for the graphics plugin, make sure you use gsdx r1611. That will give like 20-30% speed boost. You can get that plugin from the offical gsdx plugin thread in this forum.

Now, the game is pretty intensive, and you're going to lag when there's lots of artifacts in the sky or around. If you find yourself walking at 70% or so, just tilt the camera so it looks down on your characters. That will almost always make the emulator at full speed due to less artifacts on screen(however in crowded areas like towns you will almost always stay at 80%, no way around it except faster processor i guess). Following my advice you should be able to get near full speed for most of the game.
ya mines a 2.4 a little stronger but I can even play SC3 and that's a real demanding game alone. And I play FFXII very well a little choppy at times a few thing that are easy to ignore that's all

Make sure to have it setup like this as well
Pcsx2 Version: Latest beta

Speed Hacks:
Cycling x2(Far Left Side)
VU Stealing-Experimental set that to Moderate (Far Right Side)

GDSx/Graphics:
Enable/Disable 8-Bit Allow Check Native make sure you have the GDSx Select as graphics and not Zero due to it's not nearly as good.

Thats how mines set up and I do just fine
Quote:I don't think it'll be possible for you to get full speed on this game with those specs

thats not true

i use a Q9000 as well and without overclock i ran 90~100% in pretty much every part of the game (except for some ingame vids)

also it being quad can have some advantages, set the affinity of all processes to core 3 and 4 (some cant be changed)
it helps a few FPS (dont expect miracles, for example 40fps instead of 35fps or so)
Your CPU is just a little slow. Other than that you should be able to get better speeds.

Please see my configurations in the link in my signature. Hopefully it will help you, I play Final Fantasy XII mainly myself.

If nothing helps after you review my amateur guide, you can always try to lower the internal resolution.
@ChronicNL

Really? I thought in hardware mode it would'nt be able to get good speeds. Guess I can't find out for myself without having that hardware ^__^;
(08-20-2009, 10:11 AM)Larfin_Man Wrote: [ -> ]@ChronicNL

Really? I thought in hardware mode it would'nt be able to get good speeds. Guess I can't find out for myself without having that hardware ^__^;

I play in Hardware mode as well and it works better then software for me I use the Beta FYI
Hardware mode almost always performs better then software on dual core systems, but software lets you choose multiple threads so it's sometimes better in software mode for computers with more than 2 cores. I don't know the set affinity thing, but I guess that sometimes improves gameplay on slow quad cores.
Pages: 1 2