..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Can PCSX2 even work on a computer with my specs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here's my computer specs:

Software specs VVVVVVVVVVVVVV
OS: Microsoft Windows XP home edition with Service Pack 3
DX version: 9.0C (4.09.0000.0904)
Latest VC++ 2008 redist: installed

General Hardware specs VVVVVVVVVVVVVV
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 (single core)
CPU speed: 2.00 GHz
RAM: 1.00 Gb

Video Hardware specs VVVVVVVVVVVVV
Video card: ATI RADEON 9250
Video card DAC type: Internal DAC (400MHz)
Video Memory: 256 Mb

Can I even BEGIN to hope to run PCSX2 on a computer with these specs? If so, then how. I'm wondering if my problems are the result of not having the best computer possible rather than the emulator itself? Please help with any ideas you may have regarding me running this emulator on a computer with these specs.
Can it work? Sure.

Will it play anything at a playable speed? Probably not.

You'd be better off waiting till you got a better computer.
(08-30-2009, 01:15 AM)Koji Wrote: [ -> ]Can it work? Sure.

How can I tell what is the MAXIMUM level of shader possible on my graphics card? Is there some program that can tell me what shader my card is currently set at, as well as what is the maxiumum possible shader level my card will support?
No it wont work, your graphics card has only pixel shader 1.4 as I explained in the other thread you need at least 2.0 for it to work, you could try a older version of the emu however it will be just too slow to be worth it. Also your CPU is just enough to get the emulator working however it will be very slow doing so.

Basically you'd need a whole new PC if you wanted to use the emulator with enough playability I'm afraid.
(08-30-2009, 01:21 AM)Videogamer555 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-30-2009, 01:15 AM)Koji Wrote: [ -> ]Can it work? Sure.

How can I tell what is the MAXIMUM level of shader possible on my graphics card? Is there some program that can tell me what shader my card is currently set at, as well as what is the maxiumum possible shader level my card will support?

Wikipedia. Or google the card name and you'll find the manufacturer's site with information.
Doing a search for your card on wikipedia, it uses an R200 based chip, which doesn't support shadow model 2.0 or directX9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R200
Well which of the older versions of PCSX2 does support shader 1.4 then? At least that way I can see if my games even have a chance to run on the emulator. I'd hate to buy a new computer with enough features to run the newer PCSX2 version, only to find my disk images were corrupt.

Also does my CPU have to be dual core? Or will single core work?
Try to find Gsdx9 0.9.0 I think that one has 1.4 support, I dont think it'll work with PCSX2 0.9.6 you might have to try 0.9.4 or 0.9.2.
Where can I find links to older versions of the emulator? Where can I find links to download older plugin versions?
To get a decent speed in a lot of games, you need dual core CPUs. c2d E7500 wolfdale is arguably one of the best CPUs that you can buy in terms of performance/price. 2.93 ghz without OCing and not as expensive as the E8xxx series. (difference is 3mb cache vs 6mb cache, which didnt pose any much difference in perf according to benchies)...and it's not a toaster (as far as heat generation goes).

Quote:I'm wondering if my problems are the result of not having the best computer possible rather than the emulator itself?

I guess your question runs more like "is my system not up to snuff or is the emulator just not optimized?". Well, the PS2 console itself has LOTS of microchips on it, and it also has the PS1's cpu inside too.....which means any emulator needing to emulate PS2 has to be a beefy system since all those chips need to be emulated.

You need a recent video card too...while PCSX2 requires ps 2.0, so does upcoming pc games as well....like starcraft 2 and diablo 3. Upgrading your CPU and GPU subsystems wouldnt go to waste.
There should be older binaries on this link.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcsx2/
Pages: 1 2