..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Lets talk processors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I'm still debating whether to get a laptop or desktop.

For the laptop, I think the strongest processor I found was the QX9300 which has 4 cores (2.53Ghz, 12MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB). I want the portability. Thats the main reason I'm leaning more towards this.

But then you have the overwhelming i7 with 3.33ghz quad each with hyperthreading from intel for the desktops.

I think for what I want to do, the laptop is strong enough. What I want is something that gives me good rendering speeds and play any game I can get for the pc. I also use photoshop often, 3d's max etc.

Thing is, they both cost somewhere around the same. I guess I'm paying for the portability.

What do you guys think?
I prefer desktop, coz i can upgrade my PC in anytime. Depend what you need, if you travelling or not home most of all time, better choice would be got a good laptop.
Or just buy both of them Smile
as summoner says decktop iam telling ya if any thing goes wrong you can fix it in desctop but in laptop is an vga damaged or weak you can`t change it

resnable isn it.
I noticed something. Look at these

http://www.intel.com/Consumer/Learn/Desk...detail.htm

http://www.intel.com/Consumer/Learn/Desk...detail.htm

all of them have 4 cores/8 threads.

I thought the i7-975 is the strongest but the i7-870 can get up to 3.60 ghz with turbo boost. Doesn't that make the i7-870 stronger?

Edit: click on processor number to see the specs.
a laptop can replace cpu these days as well and are sold in many stores (at least here in the netherlands)

however if you can afford a laptop with a QX9300 i dont think the GPU will be to bad
personally i gave up on desktops long ago since i can play every game i want (most modern games high to max without AA), when i am home i link it to my tv wich has built in 4x AA so my laptop itself doesnt have to do it Smile

and laptops are just very rlxt, i personally have a 7.2MBit (not super fast i know but still) HSDPA stick wich allows me to acces internet anywhere, whenever and unlimited.

i am the king of lazyness thus i went for laptop

edit : i forgot the QX9300 is an extreme series CPU so it will most likely be able to overclock in the bios
I don't know in what situation a home PC user would ever use all 8 threads of an i7 processor... Unless you have 2 tv tuner cards which are both recording videos, while you're watching 2 youtube videos and have 2 instances of PCSX2 up and playing games at the same time.

Despite what a lot of people think that in the future programs will somehow make good use of 4+ threads per program (which they won't) there really isn't a whole lot of applications that require massive threading.

In fact, the best and currently hardest use for something like that would be to have multiple desktops. That is, 1 computer that allows multiple users to simultaneously access different desktops as if they were different computers. Unfortunuately, the only software I know that even accomplishes this is for Linux. Maybe the next generation of OSes (post windows 7) will think about adding a feature like that. Otherwise, the only use for all those threads is to runs tons of crap in the background (outside of server situation anyways)
(09-12-2009 06:33 PM)Summoner Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer desktop, coz i can upgrade my PC in anytime. Depend what you need, if you travelling or not home most of all time, better choice would be got a good laptop.
Or just buy both of them Smile

xD I'd be nice to have both but I'm poor. I'm trying to save up my money for either the QX9300 laptob or the i7.

I am kinda in the middle between staying home and going to school. and just like ChronicNL, I'm lazy xD I'm in school pretty much all day from 9am - 6am. I might go for a laptop. Its just when I think about the difference in performance, I have doubts.

about my question above. Like it says, the i7-975 is pretty much the strongest processor in the world from intel I think. But if you look at the i7-870 on the second link, it says "2.93 GHz up to 3.60 with turbo boost"

Thats where I'm confused. Are they saying the i7-870 can get stronger?
(09-12-2009 07:59 PM)Koji Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know in what situation a home PC user would ever use all 8 threads of an i7 processor... Unless you have 2 tv tuner cards which are both recording videos, while you're watching 2 youtube videos and have 2 instances of PCSX2 up and playing games at the same time.

Despite what a lot of people think that in the future programs will somehow make good use of 4+ threads per program (which they won't) there really isn't a whole lot of applications that require massive threading.

In fact, the best and currently hardest use for something like that would be to have multiple desktops. That is, 1 computer that allows multiple users to simultaneously access different desktops as if they were different computers. Unfortunuately, the only software I know that even accomplishes this is for Linux. Maybe the next generation of OSes (post windows 7) will think about adding a feature like that. Otherwise, the only use for all those threads is to runs tons of crap in the background (outside of server situation anyways)

I also took all of this into consideration as well. the i7 is just a beast and I doubt I need it. the qx series is also a beast and I think it can handle most anything as well.... I think.

Edit: As long as the Qx series is strong enough to handle blue ray, play any game, with fast rendering speeds, I'm fine with this. But What I would be mad is if in the next few months, (if I buy it before then) they release a new processor for the laptops.

How often are new processors made? every year? few months?
Yeah the 8 threads of an i7 are of extremely minimal benefit, unless you make a regular habit of rendering Pixar movies from the original metadata (unlikely!), or need to encode 8 MP3s at once in under 10 seconds (equally unlikely). You're probably better off leaving HT disabled on an i7 -- although some folks have reported that Windows 7 utilizes the HT nicely compared to Vista or XP.

But that said, laptops are never as fast as the numbers will lead you to believe. Laptops almost universally have lightweight power-miser versions of everything inside them: CPU, GPU, HDD, etc. The manufacturers use the same numbering schemes, but the actual hardware is hardly the same: they're geared to be smaller, less power hungry, and use more aggressive low-power/sleep modes (and are therefore slower to wake up and respond from being idle for brief periods). And on top of all that your laptops still typically have heating issues after prolonged use unless you have a quality docking station that provides additional cooling.

On the other hand, a good modern laptop is still a powerful machine and capable of being a decent gaming machine these days.

On Turbo Boost: That's the max mhz the i7 will run when "sprinting" on a single-threaded task. So if you have a single threaded task the i7 870 will run 3.6ghz. If it's using all 4 cores it'll max out at 2.93. I'm not sure how the turbo boost scales, so like I can't say if 2 parallel tasks would run at 3.2 or 3.4ghz or whatever.
Quote:Edit: As long as the Qx series is strong enough to handle blue ray, play any game, with fast rendering speeds, I'm fine with this. But What I would be mad is if in the next few months, (if I buy it before then) they release a new processor for the laptops.

How often are new processors made? every year? few months?

the QX9300 will have no issues with modern games, blu-ray, fast rendering speeds

i use my Q9000 (overclocked to 2.4GHZ)for that and even at stock 2GHZ quad it works just fine for everything
i use 3D studio max and maya for school purposes as well and so far no issues with anything at all

the extreme series wont expand every few months
at least half a year in between
Air Said

Quote:On Turbo Boost: That's the max mhz the i7 will run when "sprinting" on a single-threaded task. So if you have a single threaded task the i7 870 will run 3.6ghz. If it's using all 4 cores it'll max out at 2.93. I'm not sure how the turbo boost scales, so like I can't say if 2 parallel tasks would run at 3.2 or 3.4ghz or whatever.

Thanks for the info. So it says all the processors have turbo boost technology. But whats the reason for displaying the max turbo boost for the i7-870 and the i7-860 and not the others? Is it just to make those processors look more appealing? (see second link).

ChronicNL Said

Quote:the QX9300 will have no issues with modern games, blu-ray, fast rendering speeds

i use my Q9000 (overclocked to 2.4GHZ)for that and even at stock 2GHZ quad it works just fine for everything
i use 3D studio max and maya for school purposes as well and so far no issues with anything at all

the extreme series wont expand every few months
at least half a year in between

Air said

Quote:On the other hand, a good modern laptop is still a powerful machine and capable of being a decent gaming machine these days.

From the sound of it, It seems the QX300 is just fine for me. And I'm sure with say a 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M graphics card - For DDR3 Memory (about 4 gigs of memory I guess. I don't think 6 is necessary)- Then I should be set.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Reference URL's