..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: How do you guys handle piracy in real life?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know you guys get a kick out of being vigilantes on the Internet, but I'm just curious: How would you handle the situation in real life? If you overhear someone telling a friend in a cafe that he downloaded a Gamecube game, do you immediately go to the Police Station and turn that guy in?

The reason I'm asking is, I seriously think you guys are going a bit too far with you "zero-piracy tolerance" program. Look at you: You scream at someone who says he borrowed a friend's BIOS, say "dump your own BIOS from your own PS2" ten times in your FAQ, I mean Geez!

I download BIOSes all the time (even though I own the actual system). I'm not going to put my system in danger by trying to dump the BIOS from it. Scream at me, ban me, whatever. Shows how much your pants go up your ass and how immature you guys are.

And when I download games, if I like them, then I go out and buy them. Plain and simple. And whatever I do on other sites is none of your frickin' beeswax. So if you want to cut off support for me, fine be that way. Again, shows how much your pants go up your ass and how immature you are.

So the next time you masturbate while acting like a goody-goody-two-shoe vigilante on this here forum, just think about what I said. Maybe it will knock some sense into your ***** for brains...

EDIT:
Surprised you're even making this emulator when you hate piracy so much...
Lol i just HAVE to laugh at you for calling US immature after this post.

So you register on a forum. Upon registering you agree to a set of rules that forum has. Then,in your first post,go ahead and flame whoever made these rules because you think they are not justified or whatever. See the gap in common logic sense there?....

I and every other moderator here do not give a DAMN about what you do,if you pirate,if you own or not a PS2. What i DO care about is you admitting of pirating games,bios or whatever. So the second we give you support,we are actually supporting piracy which is illegal. Of course you don't care if we get sued by Sony because we help you,who stupidly admitted of pirating instead of keeping his mouth shut, but we do.

You can't do any damage to your console by dumping its' BIOS,but obviously you wouldn't know that,I bet you don't even know what the heck a BIOS file is.

So the next time do everyone a favor and do not register on a forum you don't agree with its' rules. Don't like it? Feel violated cause you can't wave your pirate flag around? Think your e-penis is smaller if you don't admit being a pirate? Go away and save us the trouble of reading your self-righteous crap.
My god/goddess you just made my day. I'll probably have this grin on my face the rest of the day...
Glad to entertain you Smile Seeya!
The quick and practical response:
If you have a beef with the copyright law, take it up with various governments around the world who choose to abide by it, or take i up with the corporations that choose to insist that such laws be put in place and/or actively seek to prosecute offenders. Fighting for your ideals here isn't going to make any difference to anyone who matters.

Now for some less-than-practical conjecture ont he subject (which is still fun, even if not so useful):

(04-16-2009 07:17 PM)Dancing Blob Wrote: [ -> ]I know you guys get a kick out of being vigilantes on the Internet, but I'm just curious: How would you handle the situation in real life? If you overhear someone telling a friend in a cafe that he downloaded a Gamecube game, do you immediately go to the Police Station and turn that guy in?

There are a few differences between StarBucks and the Pcsx2 Forums. They are, in no special order:

* Most likely there is no permanent record of your cafe conversations, so even if someone wanted to turn you in, they'd have to be taping you (which in many states in the US, isn't legal). Furthermore, the cafe cannot be held responsible for anything you say (or trade) in said cafe.

* By contrast: Anything you write in a public internet forum post can be used against you in a court, and in some jurisdictions the administration of such forum could also be held responsible if they aren't applying 'adequate effort' to suppress illegal activities/discussions.

* The magnifying lens effect: The cafe's general daily activity (making and selling coffee) has no direct relation to PS2-related copyright holdings. Pcsx2's daily development does have a direct relation to such copyright holdings. Corporate isn't going to watch cafes across the world for illegal activity, but they could be watching here. Ninja

.. in other words, if you don't want to get caught for indecent exposure, don't dance naked in front of the police station.

Dancing Blob Wrote:I download BIOSes all the time (even though I own the actual system). I'm not going to put my system in danger by trying to dump the BIOS from it. Scream at me, ban me, whatever. Shows how much your pants go up your ass and how immature you guys are.

Copyright law specific vary from place to place, but the copyright law in Japan and the US (the ones that matter as far as relevant copyrighted material is concerned) dictates that downloading copyrighted material is illegal even if you own the product in question. If I own a music CD, and I download a copy of the same music CD from the internet, I'm still technically in violation of US copyright law.

You may not live in a country that carries that particular copyright policy, and so you may have different feelings about whether or not you can download stuff you also own copies of. Regardless, our take is that if you want to talk piracy, don't do it here. You don't need to do it here. In fact, you can do it in a cafe instead. k thx. Wink

Dancing Blob Wrote:And when I download games, if I like them, then I go out and buy them. Plain and simple. And whatever I do on other sites is none of your frickin' beeswax.

Indeed! SO PLEASE STOP TELLING US WHAT YOU DO ON THOSE SITES. This isn't hard, dude. We don't need to know. We don't want to know. It's not any of our business. But when you talk about it on a public forum in plain day where your comments will be recorded for all time on our databases, you force us to get involved. (see above). The rules are in place to help protect something for which we enjoy working on and using, and we're trying to protect it for all our users as well. The rules are not hard to abide by. All you have to do is not dance naked in front of the police station. That's really all it's about.

Quote:So if you want to cut off support for me, fine be that way. Again, shows how much your pants go up your ass and how immature you are.

... followed by ...

Quote:So the next time you masturbate while acting like a goody-goody-two-shoe vigilante on this here forum, just think about what I said. Maybe it will knock some sense into your ***** for brains...

.. no comment needed there. Laugh

Maybe there's an outside chance some of this might sink in. Or if you prefer, post some more flames and we'll ban you. That's the easier thing to do, of course. Learning is hard. Blaming everyone else for being in the wrong, and then acting like an asshat to attract a ban (with some kind of "I told ya so" clause attached to the bottom), and then blaming everyone else some more for being "oppressive" is usually much easier and more fun for some reason, albeit entirely counter-productive.
@ DancingBlob - the current operation of the PCSX2 team ensures that no laws are broken, and legally it's all clean as it should be. They just try to prevent users for misinterpreting the emulator idea the wrong way. Sure, one can say we all use pirated stuff, download illegal copies of all sorts of material... But, if you're that concerned, why the hell did you even try this emulator in the first place? Stick to your console if you have one, and give a break to the people who made this possible. If they hadn't, you wouldn't even be here making useless comments.

Oh, and to others, think about this as commonly used torrents... The torrent protocol is legal, but it's not it's problem that 90% of the material being spread is illegal. Same with the emulator. PCSX2 is legal, but your problem if you use illegal copies & BIOSes. If you have any problem with that, turn yourself to BSA as a goody-goody you are, and when they're done processing your pirated material, you'll be happy if you walk away with a fine of $10.000 ... And that's if you're a private user.... If you're a company, God help you...
(04-16-2009 08:10 PM)Air Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed! SO PLEASE STOP TELLING US WHAT YOU DO ON THOSE SITES. This isn't hard, dude. We don't need to know. We don't want to know. It's not any of our business. But when you talk about it on a public forum in plain day where your comments will be recorded for all time on our databases, you force us to get involved. (see above). The rules are in place to help protect something for which we enjoy working on and using, and we're trying to protect it for all our users as well. The rules are not hard to abide by. All you have to do is not dance naked in front of the police station. That's really all it's about.
or you could edit/delete the post/thread before anybody sees it Ninja (instead of getting involved Tongue Ninja )
(and all of this wouldn't happen if stuff like that weren't copyrighted Tongue)

(04-16-2009 08:10 PM)Air Wrote: [ -> ]All you have to do is not dance naked in front of the police station.
Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

(04-16-2009 08:25 PM)vborovic Wrote: [ -> ]be happy if you walk away with a fine of $10.000 ... And that's if you're a private user.... If you're a company, God help you...
my gosh that is alot Blink (how much if a company? Huh )
I never understood why following the forum's rules are so hard. It protects the forum and programmers from legal liability, and all you have to do is not talk about pirating things.

Quote:The reason I'm asking is, I seriously think you guys are going a bit too far with you "zero-piracy tolerance" program. Look at you: You scream at someone who says he borrowed a friend's BIOS, say "dump your own BIOS from your own PS2" ten times in your FAQ, I mean Geez!
You're probably the kind of person that silently wonders why the authors don't bundle a BIOS with the emulator. "No one will notice" you reason, "Sony doesn't care".
But Sony does care. I'd wager they keep tabs on the code to make sure no proprietary stuff is used, and I can guarantee they'd shut it down if they thought the BIOS was being distributed in any form. It's happened before to other emulators for other systems, it can happen to PCSX2.

Quote:And whatever I do on other sites is none of your frickin' beeswax. So if you want to cut off support for me, fine be that way. Again, shows how much your pants go up your ass and how immature you are.
What are you, 12? Nobody cares what you do on other sites. Nobody cares about your petty problems. Nobody cares if you don't like the forum rules, I'm sure you can locate the little 'X' that closes the browser on your own.
A zero-tolerance policy is in place for a reason, something that you seem unable to grasp.

(04-17-2009 12:51 AM)LuisR14 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-16-2009 08:25 PM)vborovic Wrote: [ -> ]be happy if you walk away with a fine of $10.000 ... And that's if you're a private user.... If you're a company, God help you...
my gosh that is alot Blink (how much if a company? Huh )

Yeah, you don't want to mess with the BSA if you're a company.
Quote:Nobody cares what you do on other sites. Nobody cares about your petty problems. Nobody cares if you don't like the forum rules, I'm sure you can locate the little 'X' that closes the browser on your own.
In short:
NOBODY CARES

Don't waste our bandwith.
Enough of this topic. Closed.
Reference URL's