1.6 release preparation
soon.....
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]

Sponsored links

To this lurker's eyes of what is happening on Github, itĀ appears that there are a few outstanding issues that need to be addressed before 1.6 is clear to drop barring any additional gamebreaking bugs or new regressions.
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/milestone/2
I believe it's time that we discuss release prep again. Here's some of my current comments/thoughts:
  • Right now, we're making good progress on updating wiki articles ect.
  • We still need to address which of the inactive PRs (that aren't being worked on/have been sitting) are going to be postponed for after 1.6.
  • It also seems like were at a good "stopping point" considering that no work is really being done in GSdx at the moment. Maybe wrap up a few "small" issues, if possible ect??
  • At the bare minimum, I'd say 1.6 is most likely postponed to January/February? (IIRC, this was around the same time 1.4.0 was released 2 years ago)
Any other comments/thoughts from you guys on the next step(s)?
I know that it's a developer's topic only but, in my opinion 4 issues must be solve before 1.6:
-Interpreter (see github topic on Ratchet Gladiator and burnout 3)
-GSDX Texture cache accuracy and bugs (I have made a github issue on a big Ratchet bug and there are probably other issues like this)
-WRC 4 regression
-vector units and R5900 related issues.
(And issues with 1.6 banners on github of course Smile)

Don't hesitate to tell me your opinion about it.
(10-09-2017, 09:41 PM)Atomic83 Wrote: I know that it's a developer's topic only but, in my opinion 4 issues must be solve before 1.6:
-Interpreter (see github topic on Ratchet Gladiator and burnout 3)
-GSDX Texture cache accuracy and bugs (I have made a github issue on a big Ratchet bug and there are probably other issues like this)
-WRC 4 regression
-vector units and R5900 related issues.
(And issues with 1.6 banners on github of course Smile)

Most of the things on the list aren't going to happen. We don't know what causes most of those issues. There's usually guesswork involved until something fixes the issue; and that stuff can take YEARS to find.

We've already pushed back the 1.6 release be quite alot (I don't even remember our original release target) and we can't afford to loose any more time; 1.4.0 is just too old. We need to release within the next 4 months is my estimate.
(10-09-2017, 09:41 PM)Atomic83 Wrote: I know that it's a developer's topic only but, in my opinion 4 issues must be solve before 1.6:
Alright let me answer each one best I can.

(10-09-2017, 09:41 PM)Atomic83 Wrote: -Interpreter (see github topic on Ratchet Gladiator and burnout 3)
Not gonna happen, the interpreter is pretty much seen as "depreciated" now, it's not really touched anymore, which is why it's in the state it's in.

(10-09-2017, 09:41 PM)Atomic83 Wrote: -GSDX Texture cache accuracy and bugs (I have made a github issue on a big Ratchet bug and there are probably other issues like this)
This is a pretty broad statement, covers a heck of a lot of problems, some might get fixed, but not ALL will get fixed, I can guarantee that.

(10-09-2017, 09:41 PM)Atomic83 Wrote: -WRC 4 regression
That might get fixed, if we can work it out.

(10-09-2017, 09:41 PM)Atomic83 Wrote: -vector units and R5900 related issues.
Again very board, what issues exactly? There's probably tons, but it's unlikely they will ALL be fixed before 1.6, this is more of a "before we stop developing ever on it" wishlist.

(10-09-2017, 09:41 PM)Atomic83 Wrote: (And issues with 1.6 banners on github of course Smile)

I'm sure we can fix banners, although if you could tell us which ones are broken that would help Wink
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(10-09-2017, 11:42 PM)refraction Wrote: I'm sure we can fix banners, although if you could tell us which ones are broken that would help Wink

I think he just meant the issues on Github that are marked with a 1.6 milestone. Tongue
(10-10-2017, 12:02 AM)CK1 Wrote: I think he just meant the issues on Github that are marked with a 1.6 milestone. Tongue

Oh right, in that case, that's the idea of it Tongue
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

#refraction : about R5900 and vu issues, I was thinking about the Test drive game (slow booting issue, and if I remember, there is also an IPU issue). Also on Ratchet Gladiator with broken shadows (It is a very popular game on pcsx2 and fix this before the new version will be extremly nice). And Beyond Good And Evil wich has some issue (see my topic on github).

And about texture cache, I was thinking about the Ratchet OpenGL bug, Top left corner and Half bottom issue.

Hope get you help.
@Atomic

If you want to see some changes happen faster, you should learn how to do some debugging on your own time.

For instance, I dumped GSdx logs from Smuggler's Run and with Gregory's help, we found that writing a custom shader may be able to fix the missing shadows.If you're curious about Test Drive, I've been looking into it for the past few hours and it seems VU0 is taking longer than expected to execute the micro programs.

The point is, having logs and things to reference will make it significantly easier to fix issues in the future. If you can get logs for Ratchet Gladiator and all the other games you want to see fixed, it will be a huge help for everyone. If you need help doing this, feel free to ask us! Smile