1 week with PCSX2, informed opinion.
this made me laugh. I can think of 1 major thing pcsx2 does over ps2 console, it MAKES ps2 game look way BETTER then they ever did or WILL look on HDTV with the actual ps2. which outways the lil glitchs that happen, I rather have those lil glitchs then look and a game made for CRT in low res on HDTV that is 1080p or higher.

Sponsored links

Quote:I tested about 40 games over the week that Iv had the emulator running.
There was not one game where I could just bang it into the DVD rom drive, click boot and play the game.

Then you probably did something wrong (bad or incorrect plugin?).
Regardless, you shouldn't be using the physical DVDs to play, you should use ImgBurn and rip all your games to .iso.
This will result in faster loading, no need to swap discs, etc.

Quote:I spent ALOT of time in the menus tweaking this and that. trying to get my games to run as good as they did on the PS2.
Same goes for any emulator. You need to tweak them ,thats a given. if you hate tweaking then stop reading now
and go buy a REAL PS2.

Yes, you must tweak a little, but most games, I've never had to tweak GSDx. Most games run fine in GSDx hardware mode for me.

Quote:EVERY game i played had a glitch or another. some severe others not so. You will be going to the PCSX2 Wiki site ALOT.
because every single game has a problem at this point in the emulators life. get used to it.

Most of the games I've played are fine, so idk.

Quote:Software mode looks terrible. marginally worse than the hardware Component output of the PS2.
Colours are terrible, motion is ok, a little blurry (unless you turn off bilinear filter which makes things like way worse but crisper)
compatibility is good but really there is no point to this.

I agree, software mode looks like crap, which is why I don't use it.
And I play a lot of games which run perfectly fine on hardware mode.

Quote:You will also need the older GSDX renderers from the previous versions of PCSX2 because some games get broken from new releases.

Sometimes, yes, but the devs are always improving GSDx, and you can help us bug test and improve it.

Quote:About actually playing the games…
I was using a USB to PS2 control adapter and configured by PS2 controller on lillypad. works good. except for the 10ms input lag…

I wouldn't recommend this. I'd recommend a DualShock 3, 4, or even Xbox controller over an adapter.

Quote:Final notes..
There was not one single game that looked better on the emulator on the SAME Tv as the crisp output of My V8 PS2 Console.

HAHAHAHAHA... riiiiight.

I guess 1080P and widescreen hacks (and even 60 FPS hacks for Kingdom Hearts) is worse than 480i/480p and 4:3

Quote:There is really nothing that PCSX2 offers thats beats a real PS2 except for the internal resolution rescaling.

-HD
-Widescreen patches
-Save/load states
-Can play games of other regions easily, as well as undubbed games, translated language games, etc
-Easier, faster cheat system (.pnach)
-Configurable controllers (can use anything, really)
-Virtual memory card, can easily import saves from GameFAQs

Quote:But games like Silent hill looked worse in higher resolution because the games loses the gritty feel.

You're right, a lower resolution helps to hide low-res textures. However, the crisp definition and non-jaggies is worth it.
Also, Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4 look beautiful in PCSX2. (Origins and Shattered Memories are iffy tho.)
You just need to disable noise effect and adjust the brightness/contrast in-game.
SH2 looks awfullllllll! (Sarcasm for those who missed it).

[Image: pcsx2%202016-03-01%2004-11-05-983.png]

[Image: pcsx2%202016-03-01%2004-13-00-397.png]

[Image: pcsx2%202016-03-01%2012-07-46-259.png]

[Image: pcsx2%202016-03-01%2022-40-48-725.png]

[Image: pcsx2%202016-03-01%2022-47-17-775.png]

[Image: pcsx2%202016-03-01%2022-58-33-379.png]
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
I bet OP won't reply to any of these responses disproving him/her. Either trolling or doesn't know how to get the best out of this amazing emulator.
We
Usually
Take
All
N*****
Garments
(02-29-2016, 06:25 PM)md99 Wrote: I've been using it for about a week too and until there is 100% compatibility its not as viable a choice as a PS2 under the tv. Obviously higher resolutions, FSAA, etc are a sight to behold on old favourites but there are too many shortcomings for me.

If only the PS2 had a vga-out like the Dreamcast before it, it wouldn't look as horrible as it does on a modern tv Sad

What shortcomings exactly are you annoyed with? You can't expect perfect compatibility with every single game in the PS2 library. I just think that we're very fortunate to have a dedicated team of people; who seem to work night and day to give us the best emulated PS2 experience.

If you take into account the fact that PCSX2 has been in development since March 2002; that's quite an impressive feat to behold Smile . Not many people have the motivation to continue running a project long after its' initial development is finished.

BTW, VGA is an analog signal - so the image quality is actually reduced if you take into account bandwidth and interference.
Come back when you have been using it a bit more than a week. Wiki isnt usually the best place for answers either since the emulator is evolving so dam fast. I agree native game by game configuration would be good, but 3rd part apps exist that can do that too. Controller lag "can" be a problem especially with "victory fighter 2" but for 95% of ps2 games isnt an issue. Tweeking a game isnt hard at all, especially if you have been using the emulator for awhile, longer than a week for some it would seem
Pcsx2 should be seen as a preservation suplement, legally you need your ps2 to use it
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*
It's funny how I had posted a comment in this thread about how this community treats people if they post anything negative about pcsx2 and my comment got deleted. What's funny about it is I had written an article about pcsx2.net a while back and I had mentioned how things are run here and once again this community has proven it's self.

I realize that you guys don't like to see negative post's about pcsx2 and you know what that's called? It's called pride. It's called having pride in the program that you've worked so hard to create and that's something you all should have. The problem is you guys act like everytime someone post's anything negative they're out to get you and that's not the case at all. People have a right to speak they're mind without having to worry about getting flamed or having to deal with the immaturity that go's along with it. The sooner this community can realize that the better.

I'm done here.
(03-06-2016, 09:43 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: I'm done here.

do you mean you're leaving us ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(03-06-2016, 09:43 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: It's funny how I had posted a comment in this thread about how this community treats people if they post anything negative about pcsx2 and my comment got deleted. What's funny about it is I had written an article about pcsx2.net a while back and I had mentioned how things are run here and once again this community has proven it's self.

I realize that you guys don't like to see negative post's about pcsx2 and you know what that's called? It's called pride. It's called having pride in the program that you've worked so hard to create and that's something you all should have. The problem is you guys act like everytime someone post's anything negative they're out to get you and that's not the case at all. People have a right to speak they're mind without having to worry about getting flamed or having to deal with the immaturity that go's along with it. The sooner this community can realize that the better.

I'm done here.

Can't speak for anyone else here, but when the OP posted that Silent Hill (And also other games) looks worse than on PS2 in higher resolution no matter what anyone tries, I can't help but prove him wrong. Which I did in form of screenshots showing how great the game actually looks on PCSX2.

There's a difference between giving your opinion or just spreading downright false information about something, which is what he was doing.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
Hello Guys

Woah im not really into forums had no idea my post would be so ahhh, taken funny.

Looks you guys can post hi res screen shots till kingdom come. Games don't stay still. they move.
And the fluidity of the Ps2 hardware on my Plasma TV, Moves and plays better than the emulator does.
Taking into consideration that I actually play these games not just take screen shots.

I had already noted that the games RUN,PLAY and SOUND better. these 3 things combined FOR ME outweigh
any high res scaling the emulator can do for me. Currently. I am not flaming and I did thank the coders for their contribution.
And yes Widescreen patches are great Its a wonderful contribution that without PCSX2 i wouldnt have widescreen in my favorite games. and I have patched everyone of my games and yes they do run on the real thing very well.

So dont take it the wrong way. Im not saying its all bad. but for me on my rig. the PS2's crisp output looks amazing.
and is more playable than the emulator. and far less annoying.