16:10 resolutions.
(06-01-2013, 06:55 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: Actually, I don't think it's technically difficult. I don't know how the 16:9 patch works but I suppose it would work for any aspect ratio like 16:10 or 5:4 or whatever. And PCSX2 just needs to add a custom aspect ratio support (the same way as the custom resolution). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just FYI, some PC games support any aspect ratios from 4:3 to 16:10 because they crop the image vertically.

There is nothing stopping PCSX2 from using 16:10 resolutions, the problem is that the GAMES don't support them natively, and there is no magic button like GCN (which apparently used a much more unified rendering engine for it's games) where you can edit one value in rendering and it works for all (most) games.

That said, you are free to use the existing WS cheats and manually change the values to those that will work on 16:10 (it's just cutting down the FoV slightly, there are FOV calculators if you google it). Then you just set PCSX2 to fit to window/fullscreen and you're set.
[Image: 2748844.png]

Sponsored links

I think PCSX2 needs to support 16:10 aspect ratio as well for this to work. Otherwise the black bars will appear and the image will be stretched.
Either write a 16:10 patch yourself, or port an existing 16:9 patch to 16:10 or ask if someone is willing to do that for you.

Or use a 16:9 patch (if required) and stretch to window (F6 cycles AR), but then the image will be slightly stretched vertically.

Or use a 16:9 patch (if required) and zoom in until there are no black bars (CTRL + NUMPAD-PLUS/MINUS/*(to reset)), but then some stuff will be left out at the sides.

Or live with the black bars.
(06-01-2013, 08:17 PM)Koji Wrote: There is nothing stopping PCSX2 from using 16:10 resolutions, the problem is that the GAMES don't support them natively, and there is no magic button like GCN (which apparently used a much more unified rendering engine for it's games) where you can edit one value in rendering and it works for all (most) games.

That said, you are free to use the existing WS cheats and manually change the values to those that will work on 16:10 (it's just cutting down the FoV slightly, there are FOV calculators if you google it). Then you just set PCSX2 to fit to window/fullscreen and you're set.

You got it all wrong Smile PCSX2 supports PS2 and PS2 games, if the game has native widescreen accessible from menu, then that's trivial, otherwise is about the users to create the widescreen paths for the games, it's not responsibility of PCSX2 at all.

You see, that's not something which can be generically implemented to all and every game, must be done for each game separately.

Edit: Sorry, this post is not directed to Koji @ Xemmas99 who was quoted in Koji's answer.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(06-01-2013, 06:55 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: Actually, I don't think it's technically difficult. I don't know how the 16:9 patch works but I suppose it would work for any aspect ratio like 16:10 or 5:4 or whatever. And PCSX2 just needs to add a custom aspect ratio support (the same way as the custom resolution). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just FYI, some PC games support any aspect ratios from 4:3 to 16:10 because they crop the image vertically.

See the previous post, the problem is each game has it's own way and different addresses that must be found using techniques very alike the ones used to find cheat codes addresses.

PS: What means, no universal and generic way to do it and then select by a simple button press.

Besides, that's a very common mistake to confuse PCSX2 with a game. In a game one can mod, change parameters and that's good. But PCSX2 emulates the very platform where several different games will run... and the same way each PC game is different from another PC game so are the PS2 games (if you want you can think PS2 as kind of a PC, only than instead a general purpose computer it is a dedicated to gaming computer).

PS: Actually that's the reason some games are easy to run in most machines while another PS2 game requires a very powerful machine to emulate, it's so with PC games also. Some PS2 games are easy on the console while another game is very very demanding and some games may use "special methods" to gain performance on PS2 that just "kill" the emulation (optimizations) for being out of standard.
(06-04-2013, 02:27 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: You got it all wrong Smile PCSX2 supports PS2 and PS2 games, if the game has native widescreen accessible from menu, then that's trivial, otherwise is about the users to create the widescreen paths for the games, it's not responsibility of PCSX2 at all.

You see, that's not something which can be generically implemented to all and every game, must be done for each game separately.

I think we might not understand it the same way. I don't mean that the PCSX2 should do it automatically. The patch needs to be done manually of course. But I think that if we can create a 16:9 patch for a game that doesn't support it natively, then it should be possible for any aspect ratios. Please explain if I misunderstand this.

(06-04-2013, 01:07 AM)avih Wrote: Either write a 16:10 patch yourself, or port an existing 16:9 patch to 16:10 or ask if someone is willing to do that for you.

Do you mean it will work if I have a 16:10 patch and select the aspect ratio as Fit to Window/Screen?
(06-04-2013, 04:21 AM)xemnas99 Wrote: Do you mean it will work if I have a 16:10 patch and select the aspect ratio as Fit to Window/Screen?

This should work. Haven't tried any 16:10 patches myself, but assuming the 16:10 patch is good, then this is indeed how it should be used.
(06-04-2013, 04:21 AM)xemnas99 Wrote: I think we might not understand it the same way. I don't mean that the PCSX2 should do it automatically. The patch needs to be done manually of course. But I think that if we can create a 16:9 patch for a game that doesn't support it natively, then it should be possible for any aspect ratios. Please explain if I misunderstand this.

Do you mean it will work if I have a 16:10 patch and select the aspect ratio as Fit to Window/Screen?

No you are right, just checked (to be sure) and there is not an option to have 16:10 at the windows config.

The reason was because PS2 does not have it natively but PCSX2 can do it indeed, and in this case you got an answer from the right person to do it, Avih. So I apologize for misunderstanding your point.

PS: Still there is the problem of getting the working patch, for all that I know the 16:9 is possible in most cases due to the game already having it latent although not exposed. Changing the aspect ratio just changing the values for horizontal and vertical may introduce the problems of out scale image, particularly at HUD.
(06-04-2013, 02:32 PM)avih Wrote: This should work. Haven't tried any 16:10 patches myself, but assuming the 16:10 patch is good, then this is indeed how it should be used.

Thank you. Somehow, I didn't notice this Fit to Window/Screen option. It should work if I have a 16:10 monitor because in that case Fit to Window/Screen will make the aspect ratio 16:10.

(06-04-2013, 04:51 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: No you are right, just checked (to be sure) and there is not an option to have 16:10 at the windows config.

The reason was because PS2 does not have it natively but PCSX2 can do it indeed, and in this case you got an answer from the right person to do it, Avih. So I apologize for misunderstanding your point.

That's okay. I missed the Fit to Window/Screen option. In this case the PCSX2 supports 3 aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9 and the monitor aspect ratio. Anyway, if I had a 16:10 monitor, I could live with the black bars. Smile
(06-04-2013, 05:58 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: Anyway, if I had a 16:10 monitor, I could live with the black bars. Smile

Don't settle for less than the World. Cool