1920x1080 Internal Res - What video card?
When building my living room emulator PC, I underestimated what PCSX2 could 'do'. I thought it would be stuck rendering at the native game resolution, but to my surprise I saw the glory of internal resolution 1920x1080 in Final Fantasy 12-- stunning.

My question is, does anyone here run with that internal res and are able to play games (specifically FFXII) at 60fps? I get that or near-that for most games, but that one is very heavy on the video card.

I went with the best low-profile video card I could find when building the machine, a 9800 GT 512MB. Given how I can't find a marginally better card in low-profile size, looks like I'll have to redo the case and put a full sized beast in it.

Anyone getting full-speed at this resolution? Or anyone know a better place than newegg to get a more powerful low-profile video card?

Sponsored links

The CPU, at this point, is still WAY more important than the video card, from what I can tell. I'm running PCSX2 with a laptop. A 9800M GT, and a P8600. My desktop has an 8800 GTS and an E6750, but they run about the same due to the former having SSE4.1 capability. Running with DX10 is supposedly a big help to, but I've yet to compare it to DX9. My advice is to upgrade the CPU before the video card.
(04-16-2009, 02:05 AM)zatara214 Wrote: The CPU, at this point, is still WAY more important than the video card, from what I can tell. I'm running PCSX2 with a laptop. A 9800M GT, and a P8600. My desktop has an 8800 GTS and an E6750, but they run about the same due to the former having SSE4.1 capability. Running with DX10 is supposedly a big help to, but I've yet to compare it to DX9. My advice is to upgrade the CPU before the video card.

At native internal resolution, I get full performance out of the game. I can even bump it up a tad (it starts to get slow around the 1080x1080 mark). That's why I think I'm being bottlenecked by the video card on this particular game.
Weird, I'm running the laptop version of your card. I don't have FFXII to test, but I'm running basically every game that I have at full speed at 1280x1024 with filtering. Try a different game, maybe FFXII is slower than others?
no, native res indicate the game is playable. However your case have nothing to do with being playable or not. FF12 is playable but its speed and internal res depends largely on CPU, rather than GPU. When you use GDSX plug in, what does it tell you? is your CPU at 99%? would u mind take a screenshot of your game and post it here? we can help u further.
Ive got a 4870x2 w/ a q9550 (still@stock) and FFXII very rarely falls below 60 fps. There are some spots but they are few and far between. Rabanaster, nalbina, etc...

EDIT: at 1920x1080 res and rendering, looks wonderful.

Would there be an advantage to a higher rendering? I see people do this.
Yes it looks better as it gives an AA effect though some games it causes graphical issues with. Internal res is really more dependent on videocard power than cpu though.
If we possible run ff12 at 1920x1080 resolution we will be glad. This resolution is HD - 1080p. If the AA set to maximum the graphic almost playing as PS3 or Xbox360 may even better. hehehehehe
HappyTongueCSX2:Happy
I run Persona 4 @ 2560x1600 internal resolution on a 512MB G92. No hiccups.
As far as a better low profile video card is concerned - it doesn't exist. You're lucking that someone finally made a low-pro 9800, as it is. I hope you have an upgraded PSU though, most low-pro PCs have pretty week PSUs (my old Dell C521 had a 280-watt PSU, which is one of the higher ones that I've seen), which will eventually be killed by a card like that.