4GB isn't enough to use save states?
I've been playing with PCSX2 and it's been working pretty well for games that aren't too demanding. However 99% of the time when I try to use save states, it pops up a box with the name of the state file, then says "Oh noes, out of memory."

It worked one time right after I loaded a game and the state file that it wrote was 15MB. I've checked and with only PCSX2 running (plus my anti-virus and firewall which are always running), I have about 2GB of memory free.

How can 2GB of free memory not be enough to write a 15MB file? PCSX2 runs fine without closing any of the programs I normally have sitting idle in the background (web browser, notepad, etc), but it can't save a state file even when it's the only thing running? Why does it want so much memory to write a file?

Sponsored links

That's not the case,probably the game is doing something.
On what game do you get that(and don't tell me "all game",post names)
Have you tried the latest stable release?
(03-24-2016, 06:10 PM)vsub Wrote: That's not the case,probably the game is doing something.
On what game do you get that(and don't tell me "all game",post names)

Spider-Man 2 - It saved once when I first loaded the game, but after climbing to the top of the Empire State building (up on the mast), I tried to save again and it gave me the out of memory error.

Robotech Battlecry - Loaded the game, started the first mission, hit F1, got the out of memory error.

Those were the only two I tried this morning. Since downloading PCSX2, I've been experimenting to see which games play well and which ones don't (Spider-Man 2 seems to run at about half-speed), so I haven't really been seriously playing any of them yet and hadn't had a need to use the save states. I first discovered the problem when I tried to save in SM2 and it gave me the error, so then I tried it in RB and got the same thing.

I'll test more games later.

(03-24-2016, 06:31 PM)Akio Wrote: Have you tried the latest stable release?

I'm using 1.4.0, which the site says is the latest stable build.
(03-24-2016, 11:34 PM)Rekrul Wrote: Spider-Man 2 - It saved once when I first loaded the game, but after climbing to the top of the Empire State building (up on the mast), I tried to save again and it gave me the out of memory error.
Save state errors are a known problem with this game, it's not an issue with other games.
http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Spider-Man_2

Did you play Spider-Man 2 before playing Robotech and didn't exit PCSX2 between the games?
(03-24-2016, 11:38 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Save state errors are a known problem with this game, it's not an issue with other games.
http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Spider-Man_2

Did you play Spider-Man 2 before playing Robotech and didn't exit PCSX2 between the games?

Yes, actually I think I did. I just tried it again with Robotech from a fresh session and save states seemed to work fine. Thanks. Smile
This is part of the reason I do not use save states. They seem to cause more headaches then simply saving normally in game.
(03-26-2016, 12:59 AM)Topken Wrote: This is part of the reason I do not use save states. They seem to cause more headaches then simply saving normally in game.

The problem with that is that the vast majority of games from that era don't allow you to save anywhere. Well, they do, but it usually just puts you back at the last checkpoint. Really, what's the point of having a manual save option if it's not going to save where you actually are?

In Spider-Man 2, I manually saved the game while on top of the Empire State Building, but when I reloaded that save, I was back at the start of the chapter. So I figured I'd use a save state to preserve my position.

I never got very good at playing games with a gamepad so when a game uses checkpoints, it usually means that I'm going to have to replay the tricky parts of the game anywhere from 5-50 times and I've never found repeated failure to be particularly enjoyable. When I played the original Spider-Man game there were many parts where I would almost get through a section, then I'd hit the wrong button, get killed and have to do the whole thing over again. It made me want to pull my hair out!

Save states and being able to use alternate controls (like a mouse for FPS games) are the things that appeal to me most about emulators.
save states can be useful, but it's hard to rely ONLY on them since they can rapidly become unstable.
always use manual internal game saves, and sometimes savestates.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(03-26-2016, 08:48 AM)jesalvein Wrote: save states can be useful, but it's hard to rely ONLY on them since they can rapidly become unstable.
always use manual internal game saves, and sometimes savestates.

If the game allows saving (many games on older systems don't), then I always save before quitting a session. I normally use the save states to assist in getting through the levels, then save at the end of a level/checkpoint. Also, if the emulator allows it, I also save a named save state so that it won't get corrupted/overwritten by the instant save state hotkey.

I'm surprised that PCSX2 doesn't automatically create separate save states and memcards for each game, rather than having all games share common ones. I mean, I know you can manually copy the state and memcard files to another directory to back them up so that the saves from one game don't interfere with the previous ones, but it would be much more convenient if it was done automatically. That way each game could have its own dedicated memory cards and save state slots.