60 FPS, 4x native, Anisotropic on, GT4, Burnout 3?
Howdy!

First things first, my GREATEST thanks to the devs for this fantastic emulator! Holy crap, this is amazing!

Anywho, I just wanted to pop in with a quick question:

Is anyone able to get a reliable 60 FPS in GT4 or Burnout 3 (or any other intensive game) with at least 4x native and anisotropic filtering on (ideally at least 4x)? Is such a thing possible to achieve on today's hardware?

I installed PCSX2 1.2.1 on my workstation computer with the following specs:

Windows 7 Pro
i7 3930k 6 core (12 hyperthreaded, overclocked to 4.2 GHz)
48 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 270
SSDs for all software and OS.

I'm able to get fantastic performance up to about 2x native but as soon as I step it up to 3x or 4x native I just can't maintain a solid 60 FPS. As a result, the sound quality goes to hell and it's just all-around not such a nice experience.
I remember playing Burnout 3 on the PS2 console and always having trouble seeing what was ahead on Burning Laps because of the poor resolution of the original game. I'd LOVE to rock that game in 1080p so the idea of getting 4x or even 6x native running full speed is wicked to think about! I can get it up to about 2x native but that's about it.

I've played with the speedhacks a bit.
I have EE Cyclerate at 2
I have VU Cycle Stealing at 2
Everything else is turned on except fast CDVD.

With those speedhack settings, it's *ALMOST* stable at 3x and 4x native but there are still a few stutters here and there. With EE and VU both off, I can only get it stable-ish at 2x. Really gotta run the speedhacks!

I can see that one really needs some serious 2-core performance so my 6-core isn't doing me much good in this context. I'm curious though, if a big monster modern CPU/GPU combo could get those intensive games stable at 4x or even 6x.

Say, an i7 5960x with a GeForce 980 Ti? Would that do it? Is it possible on modern hardware, ideally without speedhacks (because they just don't work in every game).
Would a GPU upgrade help me achieve that? Is my CPU enough to handle it or would I need a new CPU as well? This CPU is a monster at multithreaded stuff but its single-threaded is probably getting outshadowed by modern 5xxx CPUs at this point. Would I gain anything from a GPU upgrade?

Sponsored links

i7-4790K is actually the best CPU you can get for a reasonable price for PCSX2.

It's "STP" that's important. (Single Thread Performance).

The 5960X has an STP of 1997 (Baseclock = 3.00GHz) for $1049.00 USD, whereas the i7-4790K has 2532 (and a baseclock speed of 4.00GHz)for $339.00 USD.

5960X is more for heavy video editing, or other stuff that requires loads of cores and multitasking.

Check out this site to compare some CPUs: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
I think you can enable skipdraw and remove some effects to dramatically decrease requirements.

There was once a very detailed thread about gt 4 iirc that showed nice settings at playable speeds for high end systems. Im not sure about af but I think 4x native was achievable (sure depending on the system).

What about mtvu? Is is game breaking? What about dx9 vs dx11 vs ogl? What about 8bit option?

48gb ram? I mean really?
(08-09-2015, 11:51 PM)willkuer Wrote: 48gb ram? I mean really?
This computer is a multimedia workstation first and foremost, hence the RAM. It's not a "gaming rig" whatsoever. I just threw in a decent video card so that I *had* a computer that was a decent gaming machine. It's not built around gaming. That's also why I went with the 3930k. Not the best single-threaded performance at the time but for the multithreaded work I do it was ideal at the time.

Quote:i7-4790K is actually the best CPU you can get for a reasonable price for PCSX2.

It's "STP" that's important. (Single Thread Performance).

The 5960X has an STP of 1997 (Baseclock = 3.00GHz) for $1049.00 USD, whereas the i7-4790K has 2532 (and a baseclock speed of 4.00GHz)for $339.00 USD.

That's good to bear in mind. Thanks for the heads up. I'm familiar with passmark's benchmarks (and refer to it often) but honestly I hadn't spent much time looking at the single-threaded performance section of it. I'm used to looking at multithreaded performance for my day-to-day use. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:What about mtvu? Is is game breaking? What about dx9 vs dx11 vs ogl? What about 8bit option?
I have MTVU turned on and it's never been problematic. DX11 has consistently given me the best performance. OGL has been the slowest consistently. I haven't played with 8 bit but I'll give it a go.

--------------

At the end of the day, I was just curious if there is anyone who has a solid build going that can "max out" (giving leniency for speedhacks and ways to improve performance) the graphic quality of the emulator while maintaining a stable FPS. Is this an achievable goal or do we simply need better technology?
You should try as well the latest develoent build. There was a huge development in the GS plugin recently. Unfortunately you have an amd gpu that seems to provide nasty drivers for ogl rendering. For nvidia ogl is already faster and more precise than dx11.

But I would really try skipdraw...
Quote:DX11 has consistently given me the best performance. OGL has been the slowest consistently. I haven't played with 8 bit but I'll give it a go.
Correction, your openGL driver slow down considerably the emulation Wink

Quote:Is anyone able to get a reliable 60 FPS in GT4 or Burnout 3 (or any other intensive game) with at least 4x native and anisotropic filtering on (ideally at least 4x)? Is such a thing possible to achieve on today's hardware?
Lots of effects are just disabled for sure it is fast enough Tongue2