60 fps, but sometimes feel like 30
They play at the same game speed but they feel like they're skipping frames in that while when the slugginess kicks in. I haven't noticed that the FPS go below 60, and I think Nightshade and DMC2 are games that run at 60 fps natively (since I don't recall the choppy frame rate every once in a while in an actual PS2), again, I might be mistaken.

Is there a null SPU plugin to try and see what happens with that? or should I just try with SPU2 set to only SPU emulation?

Edit: Plays the same with SPU set to none (emulate only).

Sponsored links

To add even more weirdness, I recorded a video using dxtory at 60 frames and the problem does not appear in the video!
I'm guessing this makes it even more harder to pinpoint what might be causing it...

Here is the video http://filesmelt.com/dl/pcsx2_dmc2_60fps_test.mp4

Sorry I couldn't upload it to a streaming site since most (or at least youtube and vimeo) limit the fps to 30. It's just a simple 1 minute, 60 fps, 100mb mp4 video so hopefully someone can download it, though it may not be totally necessary.

Thanks anyway to EVERYONE who has tried to help so far.
Interesting. Could be some jitter at the frames output rate which causes the windows compositor to combine some outputs from pcdx2 into 1 desktop frame, or some kind of frames buffering (like double/triple buffering) at the GFX driver. Try choosing a non-aero theme (like Windows 7 basic) and disable/enable vsync at PCSX2.
Just tested really quick with Nightshade, apparently enabling vsync solves the issue! Disabling aero did not, however.
Unfortunately I think vsync takes a big hit on performance on some more intensive games (but Nightshade works perfect), and maybe a little bit of input lag.

Anything else I can try at driver-level that could help? Since we can now assume that the problem is caused by the graphic drivers.

I'm done for today though, thanks for all the help again!
I just wanted to post that I finally found the best solution to this problem, by using D3DOverrider, now there's no tearing, no jittery frames and more importantly, no input lag. So if anyone is experiencing the same, here, use this. http://filesmelt.com/dl/D3DOverrider.7z
Thank you !

You saved me, D3DOverrider works perfectly with PCSX2 and solves my problems of bad framerate and stuttering !

I had posted here without succes : http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Choppy-fr...n-at-60fps

Thanks anyway Smile
Have you tried turning off "ATI PowerPlay"...?
An eternity of midnights...
what the heck is the difference between d3doveriders Vsync and PCSX2 built in Vsync wont using either of them cause a big impact in performance cuz I have been having the same issues with Tales Of The Abyss and I remember having the same kind of jittery gameplay from it first two times I finished Tales Of The Abyss but that was way back then becuz Tales Of The Abyss is my very first Game to be played in PCSX2 from start to finish( had a ***** e4400 back then and it had crashing/freezing issues from time to time but still finished twice LOL) gonna try this when I get home see if this fix works
My New PC
[Image: 1714419.png]
[Image: stargate_sg_1_stamp_by_OmegaDreamSeeker11.jpg]
I have a NVIDIA card and set "Power Manager" on performance, same than "ATI PowerPlay" i guess ?. Only D3DOverrider works anyway, particulary noticeable on Star OCean 3, big fountain at very begin stutter without D3DOverrider.
Hello again after a long time.

I'm glad the D3DOverrider solution worked for you, in fact it solved my problem on other emulators as well.

I'm now trying to pinpoint what exactly causes this behavior on my system, as this didn't happen with my previous hardware setup. It's something between how the Windows dwm manages vsync it seems. I've read that it might be some kind of bug on the chipset of the motherboard that causes sync issues between the different hardware components. A plugin for ePSXe even has an option that supposedly uses an alternate fps calculation system to resolve that.

I shall post again if I find something new regarding this.