64 bit build?
There is no to very little performance hit on using a 32bit program on a 64bit processor.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Sponsored links

(11-09-2012, 06:17 PM)refraction Wrote: There is no to very little performance hit on using a 32bit program on a 64bit processor.

Not much, but it is there, and it's only going to get bigger as 32bit programs become more irrelevant. At least we didn't get stuck with Intel's terribad IA64 ISA. Then IA32 Instructions would have to be emulated,
In case of a rewrite, we could have major fps/quality/accuracy/stability advantages from stuff that have nothing to do with 64bit builds.
So if there was to happen a rewrite in PCSX2 it would concentrate on other more important stuff than 64bit architecture.
Right now, PCSX2 uses two 32bit registers to hold one 64bit EE register. A 64bit version wouldn't need to do this, and would make handling the PS2 registers quite a bit simpler. It would definitely provide a speed boost. Only problem is all the plugins would also need to be updated to work with the 64 bit version dispatcher. And I this probably isn't going to happen. But it would provide a substantial benefit.

The PS2 is a 64bit system. It would make a lot of sense to run it on a 64bit CPU.
(11-11-2012, 02:38 AM)Laraul Wrote: Right now, PCSX2 uses two 32bit registers to hold one 64bit EE register. A 64bit version wouldn't need to do this, and would make handling the PS2 registers quite a bit simpler. It would definitely provide a speed boost. Only problem is all the plugins would also need to be updated to work with the 64 bit version dispatcher. And I this probably isn't going to happen. But it would provide a substantial benefit.

The PS2 is a 64bit system. It would make a lot of sense to run it on a 64bit CPU.

why so? We can move 128 bits in 1 go and store 128bits in 1 register with SSE, hell at a push we could even use MMX which also uses 64bit registers, in most cases where we don't use SSE, the PS2 is only doing 32bit moves/calculations in one go anyway.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(11-11-2012, 02:38 AM)Laraul Wrote: Right now, PCSX2 uses two 32bit registers to hold one 64bit EE register. A 64bit version wouldn't need to do this, and would make handling the PS2 registers quite a bit simpler. It would definitely provide a speed boost. Only problem is all the plugins would also need to be updated to work with the 64 bit version dispatcher. And I this probably isn't going to happen. But it would provide a substantial benefit.

The PS2 is actually a 128bit system, which is actually 4 sets of 32 bit registers if I remember properly.
Wow I didn't think this would spark an entire discussion. I was just looking for a yes or no. Tongue

Personally I would -like- there to be a 64bit version of the software, but if it isn't feasible to do so at this time I'm not overly worried about it. I was just wondering if it was currently possible to compile in 64bit being that the computer I have is starting to become quite a bit obsolete. (Yeah, I know, go buy a new one... I would if I could afford to Tongue).

But hey, at least I'm learning a few new things by reading the comments. Smile
The thing is that the source code is only for 32bit.
A 64bit build would happen only if people would decide to improve other stuff by rewritting major parts in PCSX2 AND on top of that fact build it parallely in 32 and 64 bits that would give that veeeeeery slight performance increase.
So your best hope is pray that PCSX2 team someday they will do the effort on rewritting some major stuff.