A Query From a Newbie
(12-04-2011, 04:57 PM)Livy Wrote: Well. Last year the chief executor bought me a desktop:
  • Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93 Ghz
  • Intel DH55PJ motherboard
  • 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM
  • Dell 17 inch monitor (not remember exactly the model)
  • No graphics card
And it cost $550 at that time. And at that time, with $550, I could purchase a HP Compaq with an i3 350M @ 2.26 Ghz, 2 GB of RAM, and an entry level graphics card such as HD 5470. Is there much difference between the two?

So your answer to the lies you had was pick a ***** laptop and then find a desktop thats 5 years older to compare to ?

For 300$ i can get a Athlon II x 4 640 (or phenom II x 4/x2) 4gb ddr3 msi mobo, and 5770 or 6770 or gtx460 little depending on where i get it since prices fluctuate a little. I put together a complete system twice as good as your laptop for my dad for a pricetag of 299$.

Now tell me is your laptop for twice the price half as strong ? Yes. Conclusion laptops will always cost twice as much for half the performance. Your opinion simply doesnt matter in this since the numbers and testing doesnt agree with peoples opinions.

Edit: Before you even continue i should mention i do this for a living. We build PCs sold laptops, did hardware testing and reviews proffesionally.

Sponsored links

Quote:So your answer to the lies you had was pick a ***** laptop and then find a desktop thats 5 years older to compare to ?
According to ark.intel.com, both i3 530 and i3 350 were launched in Q1 2010. You're living in 2015, are you not?
Bottom line is i can build a desktop for half the price thats stronger.

Edit: And just so you know, newer release does Not mean better.
Pentium D was just 2 x Pentium 4 it still sucked even though it was newer.
The last generation of Pentium D branded processors was Presler identified by the product code 80553, and made of two 65 nm-process cores found also in Pentium 4 branded Cedar Mill CPUs.

For refrence Intel Core i3 530 is weaker than Q6600 which is ancient.
Its weaker across the board in every single test.
Good. Consider I currently had $850 and I intend to buy a HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Edition series (see here):
  • Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.2 Ghz (4 cores)
  • AMD Radeon 6490M with 1 GiB GDDR5
  • 8 GiB DDR3
  • 750 GB HDD @ 5400 rpm
  • Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
  • Windows 7 Home Premium (doesn't matter)
Now with a budget of $425, let's see what kind of desktop you can build. The laptop battery will work better than a UPS but it is not mandatory for you to include a UPS in your desktop build. But do keep in mind that I, as well as any user, do not want a desktop without monitor, case, keyboard, mouse, optical drive, etc...
Just no when i think about it. Any random moron can check what he can get for half of that or same price, your laptop belongs in the stoneage.
I did list 2 seperate rigs but honestly, people like you are the reason so many out there spend so much money on really bad hardware.
And im not gonna mix in this stupidity anymore. If he wants to take your ***** advice so be it, its not my money.

~400$
BitFenix Merc Alpha
Ace FSP 460W
ASRock 3N78D
AMD Phenom II X4 970 3,5GHz Black Edition
Corsair 16GB (4x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP
PowerColor Radeon HD6850 1024MB

In this is random hardrive 500-1000gb, assembly, windows 7, testing and dvd rw (bluray choice few bucks more)
This evens out at around 500-550 with screen and keyboard and mouse etc.
You can get a simliar rig with a i5 2500K for the same price aswell.

Its 100$ over 425$ but its much more than twice the performance of that laptop.
For the price of that laptop use your head and figure out what you could get.
And then send that laptop to the scrapyard where it belongs.

You can go down to exactly 425 and still get something better especially on the GPU side.

Lemme modify your build a bit. I'm afraid you're running out of cash.
  • BitFenix Merc Alpha: $40
  • Ace FSP 460W: $35
  • ASRock 3N78D: $75
  • AMD Phenom II X4 970: $150 (seems to be the cheapest price I can find. I doubt it is as powerful as the 2670QM but just assume that it is.)
  • Corsair Vengeance 8GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 4X2: $55 (I only need 8 GiB, equal to the laptop's)
  • Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 1 GB DDR3: $70 (DDR3, but can be on par with the 6490M with GDDR5)
Yeah. Nicely fit $425.

Now let's go shopping for the other components. Don't worry, I'll do my best to find the cheapest ones.
  • Seagate Momentus 7200 750 GB 7200RPM: $120 (same capacity but faster than the laptop's 5400 rpm. Cannot find the 5400 rpm one.)
  • Acer Emachines E180HV 18.5 inches: $70 (tried hard to find this. Others are usually around $100)
  • LG Electronics CH08LS10 LightScribe SATA Blu-ray Combo Drive: $60 (just to match the Pavilion optical drive)
  • Keyboard & mouse: $20 for a regular pair of keyboard and mouse
270 bucks more. Total: 425 + 270 = 695. So, you must spend around $700 for a desktop which is as powerful as a $850 laptop. If you have different configuration and different prices, just let me know.
Hahahaha, oh god your just about the dumbest person ive come across in a few years now.
And no the prices i took were from a store here in sweden.
Just because you go to the msot expensive site you can find to somehow justify your ***** laptop does not make it true.

And even when you did that you just prooved me more right, even that really horrid build for 695 you got going on, which btw im fairly sure its make belief numbers,
not even the most expensive store in sweden has those prices, its still much faster for a lower price.

And lastly, do you even udnerstand that a laptop 2600 is nowhere near comparable to a true 2600 ? That gpu aswell is one of the worst and slowest on the market.
You have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about hardware or how it compares, your main point seems to be newer = better.

Jolinar, you obviously lack the ability to have a debate without resorting to insults so I'm not going to give you the opportunity. You have a warning for flaming and this thread is closed.

Livy, don't feed the trolls
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]