A bit disappointed in lack of PS1 support in 1.6
Hi.

I was just wondering basically, why did they even bother to release 1.6 as a full release, if it doesn't still support PS1 games properly?

To me, and many others, it'd be really nice to have a single emulator for PS1 and PS2, and to me, that should be the next step.
It still doesn't seem to fix the high pitch noises for example, graphical issues, and there's still a lack of support for PS1 plugins.
I honestly don't see the point really in upgrading to 1.6 (although I have), when it doesn't affect me basically in any way. I expected that PS1 support was a main thing that they wanted to work on, but seemingly not.

Am I alone? Sure you can always throw in the "but there are already PS1 emulators", but they arguably suck.

Sponsored links

It's low priority for now and pretty hard to do.

Compared to Dolphin which started as a Gamecube emulator and then expanded to Wii is easier to do than PCSX2 doing backwards compatibility for PS1.
Accurate PS2 emulation and reducing hacks still take quite a chunk for testing and improving for the bases. The foundation must be stable to then go look into expanding how you want to. Besides i'm not sure what PS1 emulators you have used to say that they suck.
There are way too many improvements on the PS2 side between 1.4.0 and 1.6.0
It is a PS2 emulator first so they focus on improving the PS2 side first

And what makes you think that the other emulators suck and it will be way better if pcsx2 was able to run ps1 games
It will be just different gui
I don't see what could possibly pcsx2 add to ps1 emulation that don't already exist in other emulators...two in one,that's all

There are some emulators that emulate multiple consoles at the same time and that also include ps1
(06-01-2020, 10:40 PM)RedDevilus Wrote: It's low priority for now and pretty hard to do.

Compared to Dolphin which started as a Gamecube emulator and then expanded to Wii is easier to do than PCSX2 doing backwards compatibility for PS1.
Accurate PS2 emulation and reducing hacks still take quite a chunk for testing and improving for the bases. The foundation must be stable to then go look into expanding how you want to. Besides i'm not sure what PS1 emulators you have used to say that they suck.

I've used many PS1 emulators, like ePSXe and PCSX-R. Both are very clunky and uncomfortable to work with, and have missing/buggy/no longer working features. Navigation and everything is far superior in PCSX2, which makes it very sad that PS1 functionality is limited.
(06-01-2020, 10:45 PM)vsub Wrote: There are way too many improvements on the PS2 side between 1.4.0 and 1.6.0
It is a PS2 emulator first so they focus on improving the PS2 side first

And what makes you think that the other emulators suck and it will be way better if pcsx2 was able to run ps1 games
It will be just different gui
I don't see what could possibly pcsx2 add to ps1 emulation that don't already exist in other emulators...two in one,that's all

There are some emulators that emulate multiple consoles at the same time and that also include ps1

There are improvements yes, but I'm basically comparing 1.6 to 1.5; it didn't bring anything new to me (I do understand though that 1.6 is a finalized 1.5). 1.5 of course was a step in the right direction. But my point basically was, why bring a full release 1.6 that still is lacking stuff?
PS1 emulators suck (like ePSXe and PCSX-R) for having limited functionality, having missing/buggy features, and being really clunky to use.
If PCSX2 could run PS1 games with proper support, you'd no longer need to use clunky old emulators = everyone is happy, everything is in one place, with good functionality.

It seems people are reluctant to having PS1 in PCSX2. Why? PS1 emulators are honestly not that well made. The game's can run well, you have plugins, but those are really the only positives they have.
(06-02-2020, 12:33 AM)Miskaroni Wrote: There are improvements yes, but I'm basically comparing 1.6 to 1.5; it didn't bring anything new to me (I do understand though that 1.6 is a finalized 1.5). 1.5 of course was a step in the right direction. But my point basically was, why bring a full release 1.6 that still is lacking stuff?
So why bring a new official version that have way more stuff than the last one if it doesn't have what you want.

(06-02-2020, 12:33 AM)Miskaroni Wrote: PS1 emulators suck (like ePSXe and PCSX-R) for having limited functionality, having missing/buggy features, and being really clunky to use.

Limited how...what does pcsx2 have that the other emulators don't?

Upscaling - check
Save states - check
Cheats - check

(06-02-2020, 12:33 AM)Miskaroni Wrote: It seems people are reluctant to having PS1 in PCSX2. Why? PS1 emulators are honestly not that well made. The game's can run well, you have plugins, but those are really the only positives they have.
And again,what exactly pcsx2 will bring to PS1 emulation other than two consoles in one emulator
(06-02-2020, 01:35 AM)vsub Wrote: So why bring a new official version that have way more stuff than the last one if it doesn't have what you want.

Limited how...what does pcsx2 have that the other emulators don't?

Upscaling - check
Save states - check
Cheats - check

And again,what exactly pcsx2 will bring to PS1 emulation other than two consoles in one emulator

It's not about "what I want", it's about what many want, and also something that is unfinished, hence why I think it's silly to release a full version.

Have you used a PS1 emulator like ePSXe and PCSX-R? Notice how they have problems, like very slow save state usage, invisible mouse, unfunctional hotkeys, etc? They are slow and clunky to use with these issues. PCSX2 fixes all of this.
I find it funny that you're continuing on basically rejecting PS1 support for PCSX2. Just why?
(06-02-2020, 02:17 AM)Miskaroni Wrote: Have you used a PS1 emulator like ePSXe

This is the only PS1 emulator I have been using since I started using a pc(at least 14 years ago)and cleared tons of games without any problems.

(06-02-2020, 02:17 AM)Miskaroni Wrote: Notice how they have problems, like very slow save state usage, invisible mouse, unfunctional hotkeys, etc?

Savestates - instant load and save
Invisible mouse -
unfunctional hotkeys - like what

(06-02-2020, 02:17 AM)Miskaroni Wrote: I find it funny that you're continuing on basically rejecting PS1 support for PCSX2. Just why?
I am not rejecting it,but saying that there is no point in releasing a new version(which is not final)because it doesn't support PS1,is just stupid

There are people that insist on using official versions rather than betas and for them 4 years of updates from 1.4.0 to 1.6.0 is not something small or not worth it...because there is no PS1 support

Why don't you keep using 1.4.0 instead of 1.6.0 and wait until a PS1 emulation is added to in version 9.8.0 while everyone else will get some nice ps2 related updates

And 1.6.0 is not called "full version" but official version which is almost the same as the beta which is also "unfinished"...the devs are working on 1.7.0
(06-02-2020, 02:56 AM)vsub Wrote: This is the only PS1 emulator I have been using since I started using a pc(at least 14 years ago)and cleared tons of games without any problems.

Savestates - instant load and save
Invisible mouse -
unfunctional hotkeys - like what

I am not rejecting it,but saying that there is no point in releasing a new version(which is not final)because it doesn't support PS1,is just stupid

There are people that insist on using official versions rather than betas and for them 4 years of updates from 1.4.0 to 1.6.0 is not something small or not worth it...because there is no PS1 support

Why don't you keep using 1.4.0 instead of 1.6.0 and wait until a PS1 emulation is added to in version 9.8.0 while everyone else will get some nice ps2 related updates

And 1.6.0 is not called "full version" but official version which is almost the same as the beta which is also "unfinished"...the devs are working on 1.7.0

On the latest versions;
Savestate hotkeys do not work, you have to exit the game to access savestate menu, and when you try to do so, your mouse goes invisible.
On ePSXe, none of the hotkeys work properly.
When a program/game etc. is updated where the x.x.x is changed, often it's a "full release/big update" hence I find it weird that there is no progress on such a big aspect, x.x.update is a minor bugfix/patch update.

As you're just being sarcastic and an ass, I'm going to just ignore you from now on. You keep questioning me, I answer you, and you continue to question the same way as before. So the conversation is going nowhere.
Have you tried Mednafen?

https://mednafen.github.io/