A custom gsdx which include many nice hackfix, source code attached
rama:
Glad to hear that, that's truly all i wanted=)
by the way, any chance he joining the team?

Sponsored links

wow that's the gsdx that I'm using.. fixes some of the games that I played like FFX-2 and VP2.. it even improves framerate on Valkyrie Profile 2 wherein the one included in pcsx2 is 38 FPS while 60 FPS in cutie in 3X native... I can only achieved 60 fps in default when in 2X Native..
This is great, used it to fix the problem with flickering garbage in Timesplitters- Future Perfect by setting Skiptex=1.

Now to try it with my other games :-)
(05-14-2012, 10:49 AM)davew_uk Wrote: This is great, used it to fix the problem with flickering garbage in Timesplitters- Future Perfect by setting Skiptex=1.

Now to try it with my other games :-)

Couple of other observations on Timesplitters Future Perfect -
The "wall of fog" error can be fixed using this plugin if the SkipBadProcess option is checked. However, in some parts of the game when you have to look through a periscope or to operate the crane on the "Scotland the Brave" level you can't see anything unless Skipdraw is set to 1. Unfortunately, this messes up the blue glow on the menus, and the orange glow on the Timesplitters when they go invisible in the first level.

I didn't find it was all that useful for fixing graphical glitches in my other games with one exception - Cold Winter. In that game there are problems with lighting that can be fixed by putting the regular GSDx into DX9 mode, but you get some weird problems with the shadows. With this plugin, most (but not all) of the weird shadow glitches are gone!

I really hope some of the patches in this code can be brought over to the mainstream GSDx.
You sound very enthusiastic, davew_uk.
Let me remind you that all of these "fixes" are in fact hacks that leave out rendering
some objects based on trial and error finding.
You can expect problems all around with those, missing details in other parts of the game for example.
(05-15-2012, 02:42 PM)rama Wrote: You sound very enthusiastic, davew_uk.
Let me remind you that all of these "fixes" are in fact hacks that leave out rendering
some objects based on trial and error finding.
You can expect problems all around with those, missing details in other parts of the game for example.

There's another way to look at it. Take the example of Killzone perhaps - a skipdraw of 2 is essential to make this game render at anything like reasonable speed. So if skipdraw is skipping the first N surfaces, just what is it trying to draw on those first two surfaces that both a) glitches like mad and b) bogs GSDx down to a crawl? I know its some kind of bloom effect that GSDx isn't able to handle, but at least we know where the problem is because we know what makes it go away.

Another example, in Timesplitters Future Perfect. You can fix the glitches that make the game unplayable by skipping something that it is drawing. So know we know that this something (a texture maybe?) is not being handled correctly. We also know that missing out of other objects fixes the wall of fog in one case and skipping something else fixes the problem with the periscopes on others.

To my mind that is two games that, by understanding what GSDx is doing wrong, could point the way to finding a number of incorrect or incomplete high level emulation code paths in the plugin. Heck, neither game even renders properly in software mode, so it's possible there might be some LLE fixes that would fall out of analysing those games and their broken rendering objects.

If you put tools like these (skipdraw, skiptex, skip post processing) into the hands of the users, let them find out what works for their games and make it easy for them to feed back their settings you could find loads of bugs in GSDx surely?
FYI, GSdx r5214 now has the Cutie CRC hacks from the patch (but not the other changes from Cutie, so it's not a full import of the patch). Please help testing and report (here: r5214).

@AcidRains: Why did you remove the patch? The GPL requires that any source modifications are released...

Reposting the patch.

Attached Files
.rar   Cutie-r5065m.rar (Size: 25,48 KB / Downloads: 307)
davew_uk:
We understand the problems in GSdx very well. The hardware renderers suffer from a couple direct rendering limitations
and are written around a texture cache that doesn't work with how games use the GS.
Tied to that is very basic frame buffer support, that's responsible for the bugs you get in software (since the renderers share this code).

The fix is a near complete rewrite of the plugin, something no one in the team has yet tackled.
1 step closer to 1.0 good job cutie

Smile

GOW 2 works flawlessly now Wub