A lil help with FFX..
Now I know laptops arent recommended on here, but I was just wondering if anyone could give me some help, or advice.

I keep getting constant drops of framerate to around 35 fps when trying to play FFX (or any ps2 game for that matter). For instance, the start-up to FFX will be fine, but then drops to around 35 fps and then keeps bouncing between 100% frame rate to 35.

I'm just wondering if it has to do with my plugins, cpu or all of the above.

My specs are:

Graphics: ATI Mobility RadeonHD 5400 series
CPU: AMD Turion, Dual Core 2.5 ghz, 3gig ram.

Plugins used (Just the defaults at the moment, I've had a lil fiddle, but went back to defaults):

[Image: thumb_34020.png]

Any help is greatly appreciated. Smile

Fiale.

Sponsored links

Are you running your games from the original disc? have you tried making ISOs of them and then run them from there instead?
Try disabling Vsync (wait refresh) in PCSX2 and your graphic card's control panel.

What are your PCSX2 settings? Plugin settings? What do the EE/GS% numbers in the game window say when you get slowdowns?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(05-04-2011, 09:14 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Are you running your games from the original disc? have you tried making ISOs of them and then run them from there instead?
Try disabling Vsync (wait refresh) in PCSX2 and your graphic card's control panel.

What are your PCSX2 settings? Plugin settings? What do the EE/GS% numbers in the game window say when you get slowdowns?

I'm running them from ISOs i've created from the original PAL discs.

When it drops EE's 65% and GS 25%

Here's screenies of the pcsx setup:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Double check that windows is set to performance and not energy saver. Laptops by default in windows are set to power saver, while this has a greater effect usually on intel turbo boost enabled processors it can have an effect on AMD performance too.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Are the specs of my laptop even up to standard to run something like pcsx2 smoothly?
Well, they're not hopeless, just not too ideal. It's not quite up to the standards of a lot of PCSX2 emulation, but it can definitely do it with some games. It's more around the "Minimum Requirements" than the "Recommended Requirements", if that's what you're wondering. I've found FFX relatively playable on lesser specs, so I'd think you should be able to get a very reasonable level of emulation with this particular game. Just don't be suprised if you get some slowdowns from time to time. It shouldn't be enough to ruin the experience, though.

Make sure you do what Koji suggested. If not set on "High Performance" (or the like) as a Power Plan, your CPU can be limited from it's maximum potential.

You should set the internal res to native. Your GPU may seem to handle higher at times, but will eventually cause slowdowns throughout different parts of the game.

Also, you could move the sliders over in the Speedhack settings. This will improve your FPS, I'm sure (providing other variables are dealt with prior).