A little help finding the bottleneck
Hi all, after reading the configuration guide, and doing a bunch of searching on the forums and finding conflicting information, i figured i'd just straight up put it to the forum...on some games i can get as much as 50fps on games like onimusha, but on a lot of games i'm hovering in the 30-40 range trying to run games at 720p with 2xfsaa. my computer configuration is below, i'm wondering if running it at this resolution/AA is reasonable with my configuration, and if it's not, what is the piece that's "slowing me down"...

Processor: Core2Duo e6600 @2.4ghz
RAM: 4GB
Video: geforce GTS450 w/1gb vram
Running latest build off emucr.com
gdsx plugin in dx11 hardware mode
running ISOs compressed off hard drive (although uncompressed doesn't appear to make much of a difference)

I think that's all of the vital details. Should one of the parts be replaced? If not, should i consider overclocking my CPU, or just straight up replacing it? If overclocking is a possibility, seeing as the computer i'm running it on is a HTPC, is the noise created by ramping up the fan to compensate for the overclock going to make it not worth it?

sorry if i'm rambling, but thanks in advance for all your guys' help!

Sponsored links

Its your processor.
hallmark: Thanks for the quick reply. I had a feeling that was the case.

Is it worth it to bother with overclocking the one i have, or should i just cough up money for something like a e8400 or 8500? (trying to stick with an LGA775 processor so i don't have to buy a new motherboard as well if i can avoid it)
Overclocking would be your best option, the e6600 overclocks really well. My brother had an e6600 @3ghz(easily done and he just didnt need more) for 2 years before upgrading to his current 2600K An e8400/e8500 has a lousy value these days, they cost just as much as when they came out but there are so many better options now.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb
How high can you overclock? Since you're getting 30~40 FPS, you need a 50~100% overclock or 3.6~4.8 GHz to get full speed. The E8400 and E8500 are an awful value (unless you find them cheap used). You can get nearly the same performance from a Pentium E5000 or E6000 Wolfdale for less than $100.

If you have to replace your CPU, my vote goes to the Pentium E5700 3.0 GHz ($70) or the Pentium E5800 3.2 GHz ($77). The high multiplier makes overclocking them a breeze. Simply going from 200 -> 266 FSB would give you 4.0 GHz on the E5700 and 4.3 GHz on the E5800.

Forgot to ask, do you use PAL? If so, you only need 3~4 GHz.
I guess that's the question, to overclock or not to overclock...and how much return i'd get out of it if i tried. I'm not really concerned about the risk to the processor, as i have a couple more of the exact same processor just gathering dust on my desk (picked them up for a song at a corporate auction a while back), it's more the noise generated by having the fan cranked up to account for the heat (i'm not too well versed in overclocking, so i'm assuming that would really ratchet up the need to disperse heat). I get a solid 50fps in the original onimusha right now, but i'm not sure how taxing a game that is in the grand scheme of things.
Just remember that overclocking is free (well besides the additional electrical cost) so it's always a good place to start. Just make sure you've read plenty of guides and you feel safe in doing so (taking it in steps and testing) before committing to it. If overclocking works out good enough for what you need, you could simply look into getting a better fan.
[Image: 2748844.png]