A question about FFXII.
Greetings all! New PCSX2 user, really like it, very impressive piece of software indeed, and i thank the devs for the many hours of sweat and work that must have gone into it.

After browsing these forums for several hours, i've read many things about FFXII requiring quite a hefty overclock (3GHz+), and before i even devote time to this game i just have a question. Despite all i've read about needing a super-fast CPU to play FFXII, Rabanaster seems to run at 60FPS all the time, with speedhacks on and native off. Does FPS become a problem after rabanaster? My system specs are below.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
4GB DDR2800
eVGA Nvidia GTX260 192sp

Using GSdx 868 (MSVC 15.00, SSSE3) 0.1.14

I've read that most CPU's need to be at 3.3ghz to play FFXII correctly, but i figure if theres one place i wouldn't get 60FPS, it would be Rabanaster. It dips down to 55 sometimes, but that's it. I'm not willing to overclock because it's very warm in my house and my cooling just isn't up to snuff.

So i just wanted to know if the 60FPS in Rabanaster is misleading. I don't want to spend 3 hours playing only to get to an area where i get 20FPS Tongue

Also, sound crackles a bit during gameplay, what sound plugin is best to use? Currently using ZeroSPU2 r514-Dev 0.4.6.

Lastly, i realize this post may seem to some as a retarded question, and i apologize for that. Thanks in advance for any input!

Sponsored links

Well, the Q6600 runs many games fairly well at stock speeds, and especially if you have the speed hacks turned on, you should do fairly well for most if not all of the game. Also, I use the SPU2-X sound plugin, as it sounds the best for most games and seems to work the fastest.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
FFXII is one of the few games which is not cpu-limited. It never has been. It's gpu-limited, and since you have a 260 under the hood, you'd be good to go even with a high-end P4. Seriously, FFXII can get pretty good fps on most CPUs if you've got a mammoth gpu to partner with it.

So yeah, the cpu requirement spec on FFXII is misleading. It needs a powerful GPU, but not a powerful CPU so much.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
I run with a 2.2dual core ok, I just toned down the resolution some. this does infact confirm Air's comment, it's GPU limited.

I am using an 8400GS
Yes indeed. In my laptop the first scenes are unplayable because of my 8400M GT (mobile card, it doesn't equal it's desktop counterpart card. Perhaps similar to a desktop 8400GS) so i haven't got past it.

With 2.4Ghz C2D the FMV plays flawlessly, but in game speed (not videos, but actual playing, the tutorial, "move your camera" stuff) is very crappy. I don't know what can I do to improve speed or if there's an older version of emu + plugins that works faster, or if, after the tutorial, things speed up. If someone can tell me, i'll consider playing the game.

What i've noticed so I can tell is my GPU limiting stuff, is that if I try to play at native i get a lot better results than playing on my screen native res. That doesn't happen on FFX, neither FFX2, neither Xenosaga or Kingdom Hearts. native is the same as 1280x800 to my laptop specs. But FFXII is a different story.
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7
without touching much, I get about 30fps afte rthe tutorial, if you want me to make a save for the firsrt save point after I can (I'm NTSC U/C)
Thanks everyone, now i feel comfortable devoting my time to the game. Good to know that CPU doesn't mean everything with this title since it's the one game i wanted to play. Thanks much!
if you left the plugin at its default name, here's a copy of my settings (goes in \pcsx2\inis ) (if it isn't just change the name to match)

edit: this uses DX10, I assume you can use dx10, your hardware matches

Attached Files
.zip   GSdx-ssse3.zip (Size: 303 bytes / Downloads: 237)
(04-13-2009, 12:31 PM)Air Wrote: FFXII is one of the few games which is not cpu-limited. It never has been. It's gpu-limited, and since you have a 260 under the hood, you'd be good to go even with a high-end P4. Seriously, FFXII can get pretty good fps on most CPUs if you've got a mammoth gpu to partner with it.

So yeah, the cpu requirement spec on FFXII is misleading. It needs a powerful GPU, but not a powerful CPU so much.
Interesting. Why is this game not CPU limited like almost all other games?
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(04-13-2009, 09:12 PM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote:
(04-13-2009, 12:31 PM)Air Wrote: FFXII is one of the few games which is not cpu-limited. It never has been. It's gpu-limited, and since you have a 260 under the hood, you'd be good to go even with a high-end P4. Seriously, FFXII can get pretty good fps on most CPUs if you've got a mammoth gpu to partner with it.

Interesting. Why is this game not CPU limited like almost all other games?
most RPGs aren't

edit: most RPGs load when they need and sit with that info, just listn to your PS2, it whirls for a bit, then stops and runs while the dvd "sleeps" then it loads again when it needs it.