A question about software versus hardware mode.
Question 
Okay, I am noticing weird bugs when I run my games with Direct X 11 hardware mode. It works fine when I run a software mode for my games. But I have no idea why hardware does not work. Like with Path of Neo for instance it just crashes my whole computer. And before anybody asks I am running it off the actual physical disk. Just bought it from game stop. In Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance I get these weird blue bars over my screen. But none of this is present when I run direct X 11 in software mode. The reason I'm even concerned is well looking around the configuration guide it says the hardware mode uses your graphics card, while the software uses your processor. Isn't it dangerous to use your processor for such things? Can't you like burn it out or something?I've got a nice computer set up, and I can games like XCOM 2 high settings. So I have no idea why doing a PS2 emulator would freeze my entire computer.

Here are my system specs.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700
CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
8 GB RAM

Sponsored links

well judging by your system specs you pc should be fast enough for hardware mode (mine is only one gen. newer than yours and works fine until I decide to see what pcsx2 can put up with Tongue )

what happens if you computer crashes? do you get a blue screen or does it just turn of?
(04-21-2017, 10:29 PM)kamenriderfire Wrote: Okay, I am noticing weird bugs when I run my games with Direct X 11 hardware mode. It works fine when I run a software mode for my games. But I have no idea why hardware does not work. Like with Path of Neo for instance it just crashes my whole computer. And before anybody asks I am running it off the actual physical disk. Just bought it from game stop. In Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance I get these weird blue bars over my screen.

It's because hardware mode is generally less accurate. Maybe certain options like accurate blending can fix mortal kombat. Idk about path of neo.

Quote:The reason I'm even concerned is well looking around the configuration guide it says the hardware mode uses your graphics card, while the software uses your processor. Isn't it dangerous to use your processor for such things? Can't you like burn it out or something?

No.

Quote: I can games like XCOM 2 high settings. So I have no idea why doing a PS2 emulator would freeze my entire computer.

A pc game is designed to run well on a pc. A ps2 game is designed to run well on a ps2. But actually, you're not even running a ps2 game, you're simulating a ps2 running a ps2 game. They're not comparable at all.
#StopRNG
(04-21-2017, 11:46 PM)wilfredk Wrote: well judging by your system specs you pc should be fast enough for hardware mode (mine is only one gen. newer than yours and works fine until I decide to see what pcsx2 can put up with Tongue )

what happens if you computer crashes? do you get a blue screen or does it just turn of?

My computer literally freezes it doesn't blue screen or anything. It just doesn't respond at all. It hangs every time I run most games on hardware mode.

(04-22-2017, 01:13 AM)dogen Wrote: It's because hardware mode is generally less accurate. Maybe certain options like accurate blending can fix mortal kombat. Idk about path of neo.

No.

A pc game is designed to run well on a pc. A ps2 game is designed to run well on a ps2. But actually, you're not even running a ps2 game, you're simulating a ps2 running a ps2 game. They're not comparable at all.

Yes I understand they are not comparable. But my point is I've got a new gaming system. I should be able to run this with very little graphical or lag issues. Especially the freezing the PS2/Xbox wasn't known for its graphical powerhouse performance.
So do you all think running it in software mode is fine, I just got a new processor, and it cost a pretty penny, and I don't want to running it when it's not supposed to be run. Like I've got a nice Nvidia graphics card unless that configuration guide thing was wrong.
If you can live with native/just like ps2, go with software mode, its accurate and how it would look and run on a real ps2.

PS2 is not anything like pc architecture, totally different hardware setup (not superior).
Writing a gamecode for them is totally different, so getting a ps2 code to run on pc is almost like learning a dog talking english.
Xbox was x86 like your pc and much more powerfull then the ps2 but theres not much intrest in emulating that one.
(04-22-2017, 02:26 AM)Aggressor22 Wrote: If you can live with native/just like ps2, go with software mode, its accurate and how it would look and run on a real ps2.

PS2 is not anything like pc architecture, totally different hardware setup (not superior).
Writing a gamecode for them is totally different, so getting a ps2 code to run on pc is almost like learning a dog talking english.
Xbox was x86 like your pc and much more powerfull then the ps2 but theres not much intrest in emulating that one.

That doesn't really help me all that much. I am trying to figure out why it will run on software mode but not hardware mode, as it's not running really well-usinghardware mode. But I am also worried about burning out my processor since it's not using my graphics card at all according to that configuration guide. So I'm just trying to figure out risk versus reward of using it.
(04-22-2017, 02:34 AM)kamenriderfire Wrote: But I am also worried about burning out my processor since it's not using my graphics card at all according to that configuration guide. So I'm just trying to figure out risk versus reward of using it.

Your processor will never burn out that way. It'll throttle before it gets too hot.

Also, did you check the wiki for settings that those games might require?
#StopRNG
(04-22-2017, 03:08 AM)dogen Wrote: Your processor will never burn out that way. It'll throttle before it gets too hot.

Also, did you check the wiki for settings that those games might require?

No I didn't check her settings the game might require, I didn't even know that was an option. And I'm sorry for being ignorant here but what does it will throttle mean?
(04-22-2017, 03:23 AM)kamenriderfire Wrote: No I didn't check her settings the game might require, I didn't even know that was an option. And I'm sorry for being ignorant here but what does it will throttle mean?

It'll slow down before it heats up too much.
#StopRNG