A strange speed issue
Hey i have exprience the same problem guys.

I'm playing WWE smackdown vs. raw 2009 and in the beginning it is like 50 -109 fps and after you reach the main menu it decreases to like 30 and lower and at CAM (Create-A-Moveset) it is like 13-20 and stuff then at a game it's like 3-10 so it's like slow motion and i also don't know which control is for moving around.

The good news is in the beta 791 I get about 13-18 when playing a game so it's quite good but still it's pretty slow so is there anyway theres a fix or somethin?

(Version 0.9.6 is myin)

my system settings:

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.40GHz
3.39GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Sponsored links

just out of curiosity i formatted my computer a few weeks ago would there be any missing drivers or anything that could cause this, and would disabling ACPI
as well as CnQ in the bios help?

also would installing vista help?
Wandering through this screwed up world is like having amnesia and dejavu at the same time, theres always the damnedest feeling I've forgotten this all before
I found this on a website, could this be relevent?.

"When the CPU temp (which is incorrectly reported by the mainboard) reaches the approx. 64-70C degrees the system automatically switches back the CPU's multiplier to 6.5x (1300MHz). It results that the systems slow down significantly. (The Cool and Quiet is disabled in the BIOS.) I haven't met this kind of thing on DFI or Gigabyte boards."

Dont know what cpu it's talking about but
Wandering through this screwed up world is like having amnesia and dejavu at the same time, theres always the damnedest feeling I've forgotten this all before
(03-18-2009, 09:59 AM)DeusExMachina Wrote: I found this on a website, could this be relevent?.

"When the CPU temp (which is incorrectly reported by the mainboard) reaches the approx. 64-70C degrees the system automatically switches back the CPU's multiplier to 6.5x (1300MHz). It results that the systems slow down significantly. (The Cool and Quiet is disabled in the BIOS.) I haven't met this kind of thing on DFI or Gigabyte boards."

Dont know what cpu it's talking about but

I just registered to raise this for you. Although I have not had this issue with pcsx2, I have seen this issue long ago -- as you described, a processor may defensively underclock to avoid overheating.

I can suggest doing the following to get some relevant data:

RealTemp: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/132...p_3.00.zip
cpu-z: http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz_150.zip
prime95: http://www.mersenne.org/ftp_root/gimps/p95v258.zip

Run RealTemp to monitor your CPU temperatures. For my core i7, it shows me 4 temperatures, and record low/highs. Note (and tell me) the temperatures while idling.

Run cpu-z and keep an eye on your CPU frequency.

Run prime95. Select the second option (In-place large FFTs) and hit OK.

Does your CPU frequency remain 2.6ghz? What temperature does it climb to? (prime95 should stress all four cores)
i like hwmonitor better, its from the same people that make cpu-z.
http://cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
and if its like mine, my cpu temp is tempin0. dont know why it has that >.<

it also tells you all your voltage's too.
one more thing, check your cpu voltage online to see what it should be at, then check it with hwmonitor, should be cpu vcore. if its at a completely (might be underclocked on yours) also keep it open and try running pcsx2 and see what the data is, it will show current, lowest, highest for while its running.
[Image: 1816969.png]
Whilst running the prime 95 test you suggested, my cpu temp hovered around 52 degrees (celsius) and my frequency went down to 1300 Mhz, and the multiplier went down to 6.5 (as with PCSX2) i used a program called coretemp for temperature because realtemp said my processor wasn't supported
Unfortunately those results are inconclusive to me.

That you can reproduce the problem (involuntary underclocking) without opening PCSX2 means that you can leave PCSX2 closed and out this discussion -- until you can run prime95 without this auto-underclocking triggering.

I do not know the numbers for temperature ranges for your processor, but I suspect that 52 degrees is far below any reasonable overheating threshold (for example, my core i7 is stable to 85 degrees). Either (1) your meter software is incorrectly reading temperatures (which is common) or (2) the auto-underclocking logic/software is faulty -- or (3) my suspicion is wrong and 52 degrees is too hot for your chip; a few minutes with google can eliminate this.

In the case of (1), it would still be possible that you have a hardware problem: cooling.

In the case of (2), the fix is "easier": you can start with removing/uninstalling any AMD software from Windows' add/remove programs panel. Earlier, I googled "phenom 9950 1.3ghz" and found the recommendation that you *do not* install AMD software, for fear of similar symptoms.

Incidentally, if your CPU's temperature thresholds are like mine, and your temperatures really do top out at 52c under prime95, you probably have a lot of room to overclock, if you care to research it, and if you could use the extra speed (which for PCSX2 is an eternal YES).
ok, thanks for the help, but are you sure there is no other way to resolve (2), because i dont have any amd drivers or software on my pc that i know of and i couldnt find any on the net for my processor so unless that is the problem (it's hard to tell if i cant get an accurate temp reading then theres virtually nothing i can do)

also my computer is running fairly quiet, and there have been no crashes or shutdowns even when playing newish games for hours at a time

either way i guess this is no longer a pcsx2 issue
I expected that was the case. Things you can try, in no particular order:

edit: Actually, (2) is the most likely to help.

(1) do the opposite of what was recommended, and install the AMD drivers here. 3rd item, XP only.

(2) update your BIOS or verify that it's the latest release. Enter your BIOS, and disable any power management features you find there.

(3) install vista (...)

(4) being able to reproduce this issue, bring it to other resources (another computer-problem-oriented forum, AMD themselves, your motherboard manufacturer)

If you're already using vista (the original post says XP), your options are limited. :-/ Let me know via PM if I can help more, or if you're not sure how to go about something.