A strange speed issue
Alright, I'm trying to Final Fantasy X in PCSX2 0.9.6 and am having some difficulty.
The game runs fine at 50 FPS for 15-20 seconds at every part of the game
I tried regardless of how many characters are on screen and all that, but after 15-20 seconds it always slows down to 25-30 FPS and nothing i do seems to resolve this I'm not using speed hacks or frame skip, although i have tried both. my hardware is not great so this may be hardware related, but i can't understand why it would run fine for those 15-20 seconds if it was hardware and I've heard of people with slower AMD machines getting at least 40 FPS.

Any help with this issue would be greatly apprecitaed.

Graphics plugin is GSdx9 (MSVC 15.00, SSE2 0.11.4)
This is the oldest version of gsdx i could get working with Direct X 9, i have also tried ZeroGS plugin, same problem

My Specs:
Windows XP Professional SP3
AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core (2.6 Ghz)
ATI EAH4870 512MB
4 GB DDR2 Ram (don't know the speed)
Wandering through this screwed up world is like having amnesia and dejavu at the same time, theres always the damnedest feeling I've forgotten this all before

Sponsored links

Quote:This is the oldest version of gsdx i could get working with Direct X 9

What do you mean? Newer versions probably don't work because your direct x is outdated..try updating your directx with the web updater that could solve your speed issues
[Image: newsig.jpg]
tried updating gsdx and direct x gsdx now works, but still same speed problem
Wandering through this screwed up world is like having amnesia and dejavu at the same time, theres always the damnedest feeling I've forgotten this all before
Question 
Hello everybody, i'm new in PSX2 emulation, and i want to thank you all for the great work you're doing !!

Anyway, i reply on this subject because i've EXACTLY the same problem as DeusExMachina. I run FFX for any place of the game (intro, playing, battle...), it's going well for 15-20 sec (40-50fps) and then, it go to 15-20fps.

I thought (and i still think) it was because of my poor computer (HP laptop, Turion 1.6 Ghz, Gforce 7600 Go, 2GB Ram, Windows XP SP3...) but i see that tou have a good computer (okay, way better than mine Ninja), so i still have a hope to play FFX on my computer...

I've also updated DX, i tried on vista (installed it just for that), nothing good happened...

Does someone has an idea ?
Thanks !
Try with latest pcsx2 beta r.791 and compare to old pcsx2. What will all of you got about fps?
Try with latest pcsx2 beta r.791 and compare to old pcsx2 0.95/0.94. What will all of you got about fps?
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
Okay, i think i know where the problem come from...

I start CPU-Z to watch the activity of the proc. So i have the two windows (one for pcsx2 in windows mode, and one for cpu-z), i launch the game (FF X). I click on new game ect...

I'm in the first cinematic, with 35-40 fps. And 15 sec later, the proc frequency fall from 1.6 Ghz to 800 Mhz ! And so, fps go to 15...
I close PCSX2, i wait 10 min, and it go back to 1.6 Ghz... OMG...

I tried with the latest beta, same problem.

It maybe a mobo problem ? Or a windows configuration ? I'm just lost !

I'm running last beta of PCSX2 (791), GSDX 890 SSE2, ZeroSPU for sound...

Any idea ?
Bye Cool

EDIT : Precisely, the multiplicator fall from x8 to x4
Change the Energyoptions to max. Start>system controll>Energy somewhat.

Dunno the exact path cuz I have a german os.
| i7 860 2.8@4ghz | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B | Asus Maximus Formula III | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Gigabyte | 570 GTX AMP! | Enermax 720w PSU | X-Fi Titan | OCZ Vertex 120 GB |
Done, but didn't change.

Hum... I found that i've already installed that :

MD Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64)
Mis à jour 03/03/2009 22:38
Description

Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination to match the instantaneous user performance need. This package is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD processors on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86 and x64 Editions.

It may be that ? How can i control this ?
I found he solution, in my case anyway !
The problem was that the processor goes slow sometime, i really don't know why. And i found that log : Notebook hardware control.
I've set the CPU to Max Performance, and know PCSX2 works like a charm !

I'm really enjoying to play FF X on my laptop with 40-50 FPS... Respect for the job of the team !!

Biggrin
(03-15-2009, 11:59 PM)MetalUp Wrote: I found he solution, in my case anyway !
The problem was that the processor goes slow sometime, i really don't know why. And i found that log : Notebook hardware control.
I've set the CPU to Max Performance, and know PCSX2 works like a charm !

I'm really enjoying to play FF X on my laptop with 40-50 FPS... Respect for the job of the team !!

Biggrin

Does anyone know how to do this on an HP?