AMD Fusion Platforms C- E- A- series APUs
THese processors are new from amd and i was thinking they might be really good for pcsx2.

My reasons in thinking this:
What is the biggest hicoup and emulating a ps2?
Timming between cores on the cpu and the timing between the GPU and CPU. the fusion platforms combine a GPU with a CPU and are extremely powerful. they are power efficient as well making them great for laptops. I want to say i have tried the best E series APU (accelerated processing unit as amd calls them) on DMC3 i though i might as well try a game that is pretty graphically intense. to my surprise it could run it at 34 40 FPS not exactly playable but impressive for a netbook class CPU. i have not tried the A- series but i will get around to it. so if you are getting a new desktop or laptop soon check out the a series APU machines they might be what your looking for.
Windows 10
Intel 5930k 4.2ghz/core
32 GBs of 2400MHz DDR4
AMD PoweColor 390X (GPUs are expensive or this would be in crossfire)

Sponsored links

they are absolutely crap for pcsx2.

timing is nothing when the processor can't push enough cycles to make it count.

not to mention that cycle accurate timing increases cpu requirements
i experience good performance on the e series of these cpus
Windows 10
Intel 5930k 4.2ghz/core
32 GBs of 2400MHz DDR4
(12-31-2011, 07:58 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: they are absolutely crap for pcsx2.

/thread
(12-31-2011, 08:26 PM)Eiodalin Wrote: i experience good performance on the e series of these cpus

Laugh as you see. your results are bad not enough to call it fullspeed. sure nice to make it crawl a bit but this not cool.
your taking this out of perspective xstyla. i'm pointing out that the E-450 chip as underpowered as it is. was able to reach in the low 40's for fps. that's pretty damn decent for a dual core clocked at 1.65ghz i'm not try to mention that they are the best for this type of workload but they can get higher frame rates compared to the intel atom n570 and the ion 2. also this is for DMC3 which is a game that has a normal ps2 slow down on when it get hectic on screen when at the bios screen i get 60 fps steady under a locked framerate
Windows 10
Intel 5930k 4.2ghz/core
32 GBs of 2400MHz DDR4
Try heavier games like the Zone of the Enders series or the Metal Gear Solid series and let us know what kind of fps you get Wink But I think the ones that in the know, knows Laugh
i'll borrow MSG 3 from someone and try it.
Windows 10
Intel 5930k 4.2ghz/core
32 GBs of 2400MHz DDR4
The AMD Fusion chips are great for their intended purpose (netbooks and low-power HTPCs that can display 1080p) but not so much with CPU or GPU-intensive tasks.

Eiodalin's example of 40fps in a PCSX2 game... well, that may as well be 5fps in my book. Anything lower than a solid 60 at 99% of the time is unplayable unless you like slow motion.
Nevertheless 40 fps isn't too shabby indeed on a APU Smile Okay the Clock speed is lower then a normal CPU, but nevertheless it's not bad. The main reason why AMD is slow and I could be wrong here, but the architecture/instructionset is so much more better (Intel) Even if I totally dislike Intel Smile