AMD Phenom II platform. NB/HT,
Hello there, this is mainly to the Dev's, and I'm interested in certain aspects of the Phenom II CPU.
My rig's different to my sig, I upgraded to an AM3 790FX board.

Im currently running 4GB 2000MHZ Ripjaws, with a 4GHZ Phenom II C3 965.

The questions are :
1.) How does the HT link relate to PCSX2 speed? In a Phenom II 940, the stock is 1.8GHZ, in a Phenom II 965, the stock is 2GHZ, I've got mine overclocked and stable at 2.4GHZ (Can take it to 2.8GHZ), my question is, how does the HT link speed relate to PCSX2? Or doesn't it?

2.) How does the CPU NB relate to PCSX2 speed? Documentation on the Phenom II dictates that overclocking the CPU NB speed will increase performance more than the same core clock overclock would do. The stock is 2GHZ on my 965, I've got it running at 2.8GHZ. How does this relate to PCSX2 or doens't it?

Reason for asking these questions, me and a friend were testing rendering speeds in 3DSMax, his Q9550 was faster clock for clock (As has always been), however, once I began to change my HT/CPU NB, my CPU became faster clock for clock (Core clock).

Also, onto memory, how do the timings relate to PCSX2 speed?

I'm currently running 9-9-9-24-33-1T, I can take this down to 8-8-8-20-27-1T, would that give any difference? I mean even 1 FPS on average is an improvement.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.

Sponsored links

Was hoping for a dev answer by now lol =/.
Why ask the devs? None of us have such a system.
(We recommend Intel systems between each other currently.)

I know however that PCSX2 likes core clock speed the most..

Guess you'll have to do some settings, then try what works best yourself.
(01-22-2010, 07:26 PM)rama Wrote: Why ask the devs? None of us have such a system.
(We recommend Intel systems between each other currently.)

I know however that PCSX2 likes core clock speed the most..

Guess you'll have to do some settings, then try what works best yourself.

I assumed the dev's would know.
Would you know a CPU intensive game I can test? I'll check if I've got it or not, or if I can lend it off a mate or summit.
HT is not important for speed as long as it is about 2GHz. Raising it's clock above 2.5GHz can bring stability down (depending on the board). It seems you don't have that problem, but even so you can take it down a bit just to be sure.

NB on AMD refers to memory controler which is quite important for memory performance. It is related to CPU speed. If you have faster CPU it will benefit from faster northbridge. 2.8GHz you have is quite high even for your CPU. You can test it betwean 2.5 and 2.8GHz to see what gives better performance.

As far as i know AMD would like better lower memory speeds with tighter timings. You can try with 1600MHz clock and see how low timings go. Try 7-7-7-18-1T and try to fine tune it with reference clock.

For PCSX2 performance I'm sure it will benefit from faster system, how much I'm not sure. You can test it yourself and tell as about it. Smile
I know which each part does, just not how it relates to performance directly.
I'm on arguably the best AM3 set up possible (parts wise)
A 1.375V vid C3 965 (Most are 1.4v), I'm on the 790FXTA.
The board and CPU can cope easily with 2.8GHZ HT/NB.
I run the memory at 1866MHZ 9-9-9-24-33-1T, the board won't post at 7-7-7.